Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: New crewman reporting, Captain Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Star Trek(s) have had their share of exotic crewmen... those with extra-human abilities and skills. Spock, Sulu, Data, Picard, Troi, Odo, Kes, etc. They may have special "powers" or maybe an area of expertise that just wouldn't be expected as a typical skill.

So it's your turn. You are Captain <your name here> of the U.S.S. Byrne. You have one or two new crewmen assigned to your ship. What are their areas of expertise, or their special power/ability that makes them extra valuable to the Federation and Starfleet and your ship?

The only restriction I'd ask of you is to limit powers to non-Super-Spock type. A crewman who can see in perfect darkness and who can even dim light in their own vicinity - okay. A crewman who can blast lightning across the compartment to take out a squad of Klingons - no. No Kryptonian crew either, please.

Who's on your crew?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Back in the day, my high school friend Janet and I wrote Star Trek fan fiction for the fun of it. Her character was the orphan survivor of a ship attacked by space pirates*. She was adopted by Dr. McCoy and loved to run around the ship playing pranks on all of the regular crew members. And, of course, she was so cute that she got away with it every time. She also had low-level telekinetic powers and could change the color of her eyes at will.

My character was an angry fellow with blue skin and silver eyes who had hollow bones and was very lightweight, as his people enjoyed diving off of cliffs and riding the air currents about. He was so evenly divided between being a good guy and a bad guy that his Mirror Universe counterpart was an exact duplicate (cue organ sting.) Later, he would be recruited by Starfleet's time travel agency and be given a personal ship stowed in the shuttle bay that could traverse time and disguise itself using holo-projectors to look like any other ship out there, with accompanying sensor data to fool his enemies.

And yes, they were both complete Mary Sue's. We did not care. We were writing them for fun. 

* We would later find that her father joined the space pirates and now commanded his own ship. As far as I know, neither of us had read anything with  Corsair in it at this point.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version