Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Didn't see any thread, so...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Red and black suit! Mysterio with fishbowl head!

Is it too obvious that Mysterio is setting up those elemental monster attacks in order to present himself as a hero?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah. REALLY liked the red and black. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Its like they sit around a big boardroom table and ask What will really piss off Byrne?

sigh

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Bit non-plussed by that.

Looks like they are ploughing ahead with Aunt May knowing his secret. Forlornly hoped they might somehow find a way to undo that. Nick Fury knows his ID as well. Hey, everyone knows! The webgliders are all fine and dandy, but their execution looks a bit too much like Spider-Man is actually flying.

Mysterio turns up... unmasked. So very mysterious.

And with great power comes great responsibility... So Peter decides to leave his costume at home.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Looks like a rehash of the first one...but overseas. Instead of Tony Stark hitting on Hot Aunt May, it's Happy Hogan. Instead of Iron Man serving as Peter's boss/mentor, it's Nick Fury.

I enjoyed certain elements of the first film, but time I've had to reflect on it has not been kind. It feels like a film made by committee and focus groups to capitalize on what's popular with teens, right now. And to be as different as possible from the Raimi and/or Marc Webb films.

Spider-Man is a self-made superhero, and that was a huge part of the appeal of Lee and Ditko's character. His victories and failures were all his own. NO ONE knew his secret identity. He had no real support system or resources, aside from his dear old Aunt May. He devised his own costume and all of his equipment. And, more often than not, he got himself into adventures, rather than being pushed into them by other people.

He was never sidelined in favor of multiple derivative knock-offs (a la INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE) or treated as a Junior Avenger in training (the current Sony/Marvel films).

These movies seem intent to paint Peter as a nave kid who has to be led by the nose through his own stories, be it to impress Tony Stark and become a "real" hero, or to accomplish a SHIELD mission by Nick Fury.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

But he didnt, Peter. It was in his suitcase. 

International trailer: 

Edited by Brian Miller on 15 January 2019 at 4:39pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And with great power comes great responsibility... So Peter decides to leave his costume at home.

Maybe hell end up with one of these:

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Almost unrecognisable from the Spider-Man I read in the 80s. Everyone seems to know who he is. Marvel seem to like making all their films with lots of jokes and pop culture references. Im out.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I loved almost everything about the trailer, looks great.  HOMECOMING was one of the best Spidey films so far, and Tom Holland is my all-around favorite Peter Parker and Spider-Man combo.  Marvel Studios is having a blast with this character, and I have faith with what they're attempting with FAR FROM HOME.

My son and I will be there for sure.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hated almost everything about the trailer.  MYSTERIO is a favorite SPIDER-MAN villain of mine, but when I first saw him he looked every inch like something from GLADIATOR!

Marc

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's what we've always loved about Spidey, his globe-trotting adventures!

I find it funny that Marvel Studios made the most unfaithful Spider-Man version possible (apart from being a white male called Peter Parker) and got 1% of the backlash the other versions got.

I like Marvel Studios films a lot, they deserve a lot of credit but this isn't Spider-Man in any way, shape or form. It contradicts the character in fundamental ways.

I've been telling you guys, Raimi wasn't that bad after all...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Wow, buncha sourpusses tonight!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I've been telling you guys, Raimi wasn't that bad after all...

The Raimi films had some great action set pieces and a perfect JJJ. Otherwise, they were the weakest of the Spider-Man movies. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Other than the third film, Sam Raimi's take seemed to be popular with most viewers and fans I spoke with. Since "Homecoming" is there now some revisionism that says Raimi's films were all bad?  *

*Yes, I realize that every film so far has something to criticize,  but...

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I thought that the first hour of SPIDER-MAN 2 was near perfect, up until that moment where he psychosomatically loses his powers in mid-air and falls 10+ stories to the ground and walks it off. It all went downhill from there.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 15 January 2019 at 8:08pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
...Otherwise, they were the weakest of the Spider-Man movies... 

Weaker than the Andrew Garfield films? Both of them?

Ah, well... everyone has their own opinions. 

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Personally, I thought they damn-near had it right with the Andrew Garfield version, at least in terms of Spider-Man himself. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Garfield's "Spider-Man" was wonderful.

It's his "Peter Parker" that stunk.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The Raimi films have their problems, but they most closely resemble the source material (at least if you squint really hard).

The Webb movies are awful. Made only because Sony didn't want to lose the license, and so they threw crap movies together with the intent of being as different from the Raimi movies as possible. And kickstarting a cinematic universe to compete with the MCU. It...didn't work out.

These new movies are closer to the mark, but still way off. Not as terrible as the Webb movies, but not as focused or (relatively) on-model as the Raimi films.

Mix together elements from all three iterations, and you might have a perfect Spider-Man movie. As it is, each post-Raimi iteration has been a case of one step forward, two steps back. The Webb movies gave us mechanical web-shooters, but screwed up a bunch of other stuff that Raimi got reasonably correct. And the new movies have done a good job of capturing that early high school feeling for the character, but have gotten still other things wrong which had previously been closer to correct.

And Aunt May keeps getting younger and hotter, which Does Not Compute. Of course, the entire supporting cast is virtually unrecognizable in these new films, aside from the names.

Maguire's Peter Parker was often written wrong, but he physically fit the part well, and turned in solid performances. Garfield is a fine actor, but he's too tall, and was written as if he was playing The Autistic Spider-Man--too spazzy. Holland is quite good, but, as previously noted, the character comes across as a bit too nave and "gee-whiz", and is somewhat lacking the agency and the attitude of the Lee-Ditko version. YMMV.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

+++++++++

Yep.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Having let go of the idea that my Spidey from the 60's and 70's will ever find a home onscreen, I actually really enjoyed that trailer. I like Holland. I like the rest of the cast. I like that not everything in Spidey's life has to take place in New York. It's a bold move pulling the "'Facts of Life' cast goes to Europe" trick this late in the game. And it's not as if there is no New York in all of that footage. 

Secret identities are gone as a story convention. JB's Man of Steel took away their relevance to the story and everyone since has failed to see any point to them, at least so far as the hero's loved ones and the intelligence community is concerned. Everyone knows who the hero is all the time now. It's just the way they play the game now. Maybe once they see its an easy way to start gunning down supporting characters (as Miles' friend Ganke* is here, albeit harmlessly) things will change. Probably not.

While I still don't love the fact that no one wears a mask except when they're rendering in CGI, eh. I'm taking these things as they come now rather than wishing they were something else. If Hollywood knocks on my door, yeah, I'll do my Spider-Man movie differently, at least so far as they'll allow me to, but for what these new ones are, they are a hella lotta fun. 

* You will never convince me that isn't him.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
Weaker than the Andrew Garfield films? Both of them?

Yep! I'll be the first to admit that AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 was a mess, but the first 5 minutes of that movie was far superior to all of the Raimi films. The Raimi films got off on the wrong foot from the opening narration:

Not the real Spider-Man wrote:
Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale...if somebody told you I was just an average ordinary guy, not a care in the world...somebody lied. But let me assure you: This, like any story worth telling, is all about a girl. That girl. The girl next door. Mary Jane Watson. The woman I've loved since before I even liked girls.

Spider-Man's life story is about Mary Jane? Fuck that. Then we have the dour, silent, non-quippy Spider-Man and the Peter Parker by way of Sheldon from THE BIG BANG THEORY. That's not the character. Sure, Raimi got some of the window dressing right, but he turned "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" into "With Great Power Comes an Opportunity to Make My Heroism and Sacrifices All About Mary Jane."

Shaun Berry wrote:

See, I'd argue that Webb's Peter is the most accurate to Peter of the Lee/Ditko era. The idea that Peter would be a social outcast just because he was academically gifted doesn't work today. Hell, it was a dated stereotype went I was in high school in the 90s. Plus, a lot of Peter's outcast status was self-inflicted. He was a little bit arrogant and set himself apart from his peers because he thought they wouldn't get him.

Garfield's sensitive emo outcast seemed like an attempt to translate that Peter in a modern context. I get why people don't like it, but I understand what they were trying to do. Holland's Peter just tries to sidestep that entirely by transplanting his college-age dynamic to his high school one.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2019 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Peter wrote "So Peter decides to leave his costume at
home"

Brian wrote "But he didnt, Peter. It was in his
suitcase"

It looks from the trailer link that Brian supplied, that
May packed the suit, see the post-it note.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2019 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Big fan of Mysterio. Not a big fan of Mysterio's first appearance (in the trailer) being Jake Gyllenhaal looking nothing like Mysterio. 

Presumably Stark doesn't make it through Endgame, so the forced teacher/student dynamic of Homecoming is replicated again here but with Nick Fury this time. I only hope he's lost the Iron Man Lite suit he had in the last film.
I don't know, I just think it would be nice if they just let Spider-Man be his own thing in his own movie.

Not to be too negative though, I think Holland is well cast and  Homecoming was very enjoyable - it was just one of those movies I like less the more I think about them.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version