Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2019 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well since the spoiler warning is up I can ask you is it true that Spidey has his secret ID revealed to the world by Mysterio who had a video sent to the media that framed Spidey for the Elemental attacks?

——-

This is correct. I feel safe, however, in assuming that the plan for the Spider-Man films is to have Peter imprisoned in the Raft for a series of terrorist attacks, especially given Kevin Feige’s stated intention to have each Spider-Man film take place in each of Peter’s years of high school. I imagine the next film will find a way to undo the reveal. What the scene does set up is the Daily Bugle’s Spider-Man: Hero or Menace crusade, which has been missing thus far. 
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2019 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Spoilers, as we know but still, spoilers. You've been warned...

Just saw it. A breezy teen comedy kids will love - with Spider-Man of sorts in it. Not really the Spider-Man us old farts know, but let's face it, the movie Marvel universe is what people on the streets know, not the comics. 

As an older fan, I thought the battle scenes with Mysterio were well done and reminiscent of the comics - pretty amazing effects, etc. The rest - well, fun for the kids and the movie goers, but don't go or get too upset if it's not the Spider-Man you love. That guy isn't around anymore.

I do find it funny how characters need to parade around without masks in the Marvel film universe and how everyone's secret identity is not a secret. It's not important that so many people know who each character is but the filmmakers seem to think thumbing their nose at such a "silly" idea as a secret identity makes them cool. In this film, it's more rare that a character doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man. Oh well.

Nice to see JJJ back, although even here something is wrong. JK must have refused to try to look like Jameson, just slapped on a mustache and did the voice. Sort of fun but also a bit half assed.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2019 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This is correct. I feel safe, however, in assuming that the plan for the Spider-Man films is to have Peter imprisoned in the Raft for a series of terrorist attacks, especially given Kevin Feige’s stated intention to have each Spider-Man film take place in each of Peter’s years of high school. I imagine the next film will find a way to undo the reveal.

If they intend to undo the secret ID reveal, they could easily do it using the Skrulls by having one of the Skrulls impersonate Peter and either show up in the same place or being in a different place at the same time as Spider-Man is being seen fighting some bad guy. However, since none of the heroes in the MCU have secret ID's because Hollywood wants to show the damn actors faces and because a lot of the filmmakers just can't seem to or are unwilling to grasp the whole concept of secret ID's (and since they keep pushing the narrative of making Peter Tony's successor), I doubt that they will reverse this.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2019 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

However, since none of the heroes in the MCU have secret ID's because Hollywood wants to show the damn actors faces and because a lot of the filmmakers just can't seem to or are unwilling to grasp the whole concept of secret ID's (and since they keep pushing the narrative of making Peter Tony's successor), I doubt that they will reverse this.

——-

Since the major beats of the movie are Peter’s struggle between being a hero and a normal kid, that Peter is his own hero that doesn’t have to live up to the legacy of Iron Man, and that his friends were endangered because the wrong people knew his identity, I’d disagree.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Best Spider-Man movie ever in my opinion.  

I managed to avoid all spoilers and both the mid credit and end credit stingers left me gobsmacked!  

S.W.O.R.D.?  Of course!  A space alien wiped out half of existence!  The natural response is to build a defensive system to protect the Earth from future alien threats!  And they are indeed coming.

The MCU plays for keeps and it doesn’t play fair.  The depths in which these stories can reach now is unmeasurable.  To bring back some random guy from a seemingly throwaway scene from the first Iron Man movie and find a way to make him a significant part of a Spider-Man movie more than 10 years later is amazing!  

Finding a way to bring back the B.A.R.F. tech from Civil War and make it the catalyst for this movie is amazing!

I wonder what throwaway moment in this movie will become a major factor in a totally different movie down the line?

And J.J. Jameson is now in the MCU!  YAY!

The first MCU movie without a Stan cameo though.  Realizing that made a bit sad.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Tony Stark having a satellite full of killer drones seemed off, but then I remembered this was a post-snap world where Tony was bitter that the Avengers hadn't done more to stop Thanos.

It bothered me throughout the movie that Nick Fury was easily fooled by Mysterio, so I found the end credits especially rewarding. Is Phase 4 setting up the Kree-Skrull War? Secret Invasion? Both?

JK Simmons needed a hairpiece for Jonah.

The Mysterio illusion scenes are probably my vote for most favorite and best adaptation of a Spider-Man villain fight scene, across all the movies. I especially enjoyed how they were used to allow Peter to learn how to use his Spider-Sense more. And without the gimmicky visual cues that he is using his Spider-Sense.

Angourie Rice was my most favorite part of THE NICE GUY, so I wish they'd find something more to do with her Betty. Glad to see her have more screen time, though.

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The only thing that really felt flat to me were the teachers on the trip. I didn't think those scenes were that funny, but I can see how kids would. 

LOVED the chemistry between Peter and MJ. 

LOVED Peter creating his new suit with the Stark tech. 

LOVED the post credit scenes. Everything in the end seems to work out for Peter and then Bam! JJJ ruins his day by dropping the Mysterio video. 

I thought the Skrull reveal was great too. Watching the MCU expand like this makes me feel like a kid again, waiting to see what happens in the next issue. 

I'm hoping the destruction in London leads to Captain Britain/Black Knight movie the rumor mills were grumbling about some months ago. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Will add - I liked Peter's crush on MJ but can't help but realize this isn't MJ. She's a girl in school who is weird and the weirdness attracts Peter. MJ was an over the top, stunning, outgoing wild girl. It makes more sense Peter would get this MJ really.

Zendaya is a meh MJ. :)

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Re: Spidey's secret ID reveal.... I'm guessing maybe Dr Strange can help with that situation since ether two have crossed paths already.

Like I said upthread, definitely a fun film with solid action scenes. (I was glad they didn't go with the whole Multiverse angle) Yet we have another villain created by Tony Stark... seems to be a trend! Still, Mysterio's character was a great adaptation from the comics... tho' the   MCU Spider-Man movies have yet to top the Spidey/Doc Ock action from Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 2, but fingers are crossed.

Looking forward to the Skrulls and where they go from here.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

----

I think she's a poor Mary Jane "MJ" Watson, but an excellent Michelle "MJ" Jones.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Predictably enjoyable. I've read reviews lamenting how this sequel doesn't soar to "...the inspired heights of its predecessor..." but I'm baffled by a palate so refined it can distinguish the quality between what is basically consistent product, let alone assign "inspired heights" or crushing lows.

I was sitting next to a group of stoners who were absolutely baffled by the Skrulls in the stinger. I think the twist might work even better that way. I wish I could have seen the version of the movie they did, where a couple characters randomly turned out to be aliens, like the end of a lesser EC sci fi comic. I'm looking forward to Nick Fury... IN SPAAAAAAAACE!!!

I loved the running "Night Monkey" gag, which must have been inspired by a real bootleg action figure. The way the name spread through Europe so quickly made me wonder if Spidey was being mistaken for a real (in-universe) Czech Spider-Man knock-off.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

----

I get what you're saying, Mark. She's not supposed to be Mary Jane Watson. In this universe "MJ" is someone else entirely, which I'm totally fine with. Having said that, Zendaya is great "MJ" :) 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version