Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Or do it as a 60's period piece implying that they aren't around anymore in the present day MCU, 58 years later.

Boy would I love to see that film, but it's highly unlikely in this interconnected universe. 

How can we never heard of them before? Their exploits weren't exactly low-key, either (Galactus, etc.)
Back to Top profile | search

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The 60's period piece could keep many of the elements intact that Stan & Jack introduced during their run on the Fantastic Four:

• Beating the Russians (Reds) to deep space. 
  • Ben and Reed serving in the military during WW2.
  • Seeing Captain America in combat.
  • Battle Dr. Doom (and somehow, Doom's time machine would be a central part of the plot where the team could be lost in time).

When they return to the present (2020 or so), the Silver Surfer arrives.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Prof. Xavier can have been running his school sub rosa for years now, and at whatever point they make an X-Men movie, he can come up with the idea, based on the public love for the Avengers, of having his senior students operate publicly as superheroes in order to foster a greater level of acceptance for mutantkind. 

Interesting premise. Having knowingly lived in a world with superheroes (and villains) for a decade, some alien, some products of laboratory experiments gone wrong (or right), and having embraced a former rage monster and a viking warlord, both with devastating power, as lovable celebrities, regular ol' humans might find mutants kinda tame. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

regular ol' humans might find mutants kinda tame
------------------------------------------------------------ -
That's something that's never quite clicked for me about the Marvel Universe.

Regular Guy: "The Human Torch!  Woo!  Johnny Storm!  You're the Best!"

Same Guy:  "Iceman?  Die Mutie Scum!!!"

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I used to feel the same way, but now I realize people are fucking insane and the ability to effortlessly reconcile outlandishly contradictory beliefs is intrinsic to human nature. For example, plenty of fundamentalist Christians embrace homophobia, authoritarianism and superstition while mocking or condemning fundamentalist Muslims as homophobic, authoritarian and superstitious. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Heh. NYC gets leveled by The Avengers or and interdimensional being appears to fight the FF but still JJJ's main concern is if this guy in a spider-suit is a threat or menace.

We comic book readers accept this and roll with it but mainstream cinema goers are a different thing, I think.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

True enough, David Miller.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rodrigo wrote:
...We comic book readers accept this and roll with it but mainstream cinema goers are a different thing, I think....

Yeah, that mainstream audience that keeps Michael Bay employed. Very discriminating lot, they are.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, that mainstream audience that keeps Michael Bay employed. Very discriminating lot, they are.

Precisely. I wasn't saying that meaning they were smart, more like easily confused :)

Also agree on what David said, the real world is much more confusing and contradictory than these fictional worlds will ever be.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How old was May in the comics? Late 50's? Early 60's?

Marisa Tomei is 54. Not hard to think this franchise carries on for at least another 5-6 years. 

I'm not saying May should be necessarily be "hot", but I don't think she needs to look cadaverous, either. 

I read Spidey in the 80's and always thought Aunt May was in her 60's maybe early 70's.  This would be around MIA issues Gangland War stuff pre-marriage.  

Ms. Tomei and RDJ jr were lovers way back when and stayed friends he wanted to get her into the MCEU so he asked she be cast as Aunt May thus all of the flirting and chemistry between the two is sorta based on real life.  I like her and all and she adds a little umph into the Spider-Man movies but she should have been cast as a teacher or high school counselor.  

Another factor in all of this is Tom Holland only signed for 6 films.  When European Vacation comes out he's at 5.  

If Marvel is smart instead of turning Spider-Man into the next Iron Man he should play a part in bringing in the FF.  I would prefer Peter be the one instead of another Nick Fury recruiting type moment.  I really don't want to see FF as agents of SHIELD or even close too it.  

Movie ends credits teaser trailer of  Spider-Man going thru a portal lands in the Baxter Building due to an experiment gone wrong .... different Earth timeline whatever there's the FF.

here's their origin you get a time period piece thru flashbacks Spidey has an adventure w them maybe fights Namor they try to send him home but they get pulled into the main MCEU.  Dr Doom could easily be worked into this as well.  

Idk I'm just spitballing.  But it cements Spider-Man from a Tony Stark sidekick to a main player.  He just brought in the FF and they get some new coat of paint by having Spider-Man in their film.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That's something that's never quite clicked for me about the Marvel Universe.

I was going to agree but is it such a leap? There are football fans show cheer their team's black player scoring and then shout racial abuse at someone on the opposing team.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree that it's plausible for super-heroes who gain powers or come from far away to be seen as a different, albeit connected phenomenon, from suddenly having your children born "deformed" or "dangerous," with experts saying such births will soon become the norm, and that it's only a matter of time before the human race is replaced by mutants.

Cap was "one of us" before the experiment that turned him into a super-soldier. Tony's an example of the best of us and what we can accomplish, we "normal joes." The Hulk, who should be terrifying to the workaday populace, nevertheless fought alongside the Avengers and helped fight off the aliens and robots who were trying to kill us. None of these guys have to potential to "spread." 

If the MCU reveals that mutants have been living among us in secret, or posits a parallel universe where they have risen to power, everyday humans are going to feel threatened and are going to take up arms against them. Some may blame super-heroes for somehow "creating" this menace, but most will still see a difference between Our Heroes and these changeling babies growing inside our very wombs with plans to usurp our genetic code, take over the world, and eliminate humankind. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 11 May 2019 at 10:11am

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version