Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I went to see it with my son. We enjoyed it.

The update on Mysterio was nice.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I saw it Sunday night and enjoyed it. I wish there was more faithfulness to the comic but I accept that this isn't going to happen. Your mileage may vary on whether you accept the films if you're a comics fan. My first real exposure to Spider-Man as a kid was a Mego figure, Slurpee cups, reruns of the 1967 cartoon, the Nicholas Hammond show, and my brothers comics which I couldn't read (in that order). By the time I was reading the comics, I was also watching Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. I still consider the comic book stories to be the "true" Spider-Man stories.

I DO have issues with the current movies but I still like them. Not a fan AT ALL of Hot Aunt May, it just doesn't work for me. I don't care for non-jock Flash Thompson. While I fully believe that Zendaya was meant originally to be Mary Jane Watson (just an opinion), I believe this character is far superior to the Sam Raimi Mary Jane that Kirsten Dunst played. Mary Jane wasn't around in the era that I started getting my own Spider-Man comics. Back issues and reprints are where I developed my love for her. As for the MJ name, I've always called her Mary Jane, so that doesn't bother me. I'd love for Gwen Stacy and/or Mary Jane to be added at some point but we've seen the Mary Jane relationship in the Raimi films and we saw Gwen die in the Webb films so if you introduce Gwen, you're just going to kill her (or even worse, turn her into Spider-Gwen).

Edited by Shawn Kane on 12 July 2019 at 5:27am
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When Peter lands to meet MJ at the end to take her web swinging, they’re in front of the old Avengers Tower. It’s being renovated. There’s a sign in front of it that says “We Can’t Wait To Show You What Comes Next.”  I saw that sign when I saw the movie, but what I didn’t catch was the “1-2-3-?” that was on it. Will Avengers Tower become the Baxter Building?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rumor has it that Avengers Tower could become the Baxter Building...

Rumor also has it that it could become Oscorp Headquarters.

Time will tell.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's gotta be the Baxter Building... after the Raimi and Webb films (and even INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE), I can't imagine anyone is in a big hurry to revisit Norman Osborn/OsCorp/the Green Goblin anytime soon.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rick Whiting wrote:
Matt, since you are more knowledgeable on the movie rights aspects of Spider-Man, I have a question for you. Did Marvel sell the rights or sell the movie rights to Sony? I ask this question because Grace Randolph of her Beyond The Trailer Youtube has repeatedly said that Marvel has sold the rights to Spider-Man to Sony, which doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I've always been under the impression that Marvel only licensed the character out to Sony, not outright sold them the movie rights.

Sorry for getting to this so late.  Marvel licensed the film rights to Sony.  They didn't sell the character outright.  Sony made the Raimi and Webb films independent of Marvel because they could.  That's why they paid all that money.  After the rebooted Webb films underperformed, Marvel entered into an agreement with Sony whereby they would take creative control of Spider-man for two solo films as well as his appearances in Avengers and Captain America films.  Sony ponies up the cash to produce and distribute the solo films while getting 100% of the box office and Marvel, who charts the character's cinematic path, gets to play with him in their sandbox and reaps the ancillary rewards of merchandising. Sony says they contractually have final creative control, but that's just a face saving move.  They are Marvel Studios films through and through.  I'm not sure of the specifics of the licensing deal with Sony, however.  With Fox, they had to produce X-Men, FF and Daredevil films within a set number of years.  That's why when DD went fallow at Fox, the rights reverted back to Marvel and why we got the awful Trank version of the FF to keep the property in play at the studio. I would assume that something similar is in the contract with Sony.  Spider-Man must have a feature film every X number of years or the licensing deal with Sony is forfeit and they revert back to Marvel. 

Hope that answered your question!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have a feeling the whole "multiverse" thing is some kind of ruse by Beck to appear as a hero himself.

Called it ;) It was fairly obvious I know, but it was fun to watch the internet go mad with multiverse possibilities in the MCU for a few months. Even Mysterio himself says it in a meta-commentary in the film. Very well done.

While not being sold in this version of Spider-Man I have to admit it is an exceptionally made film. I don't like the Tony Stark's protege thing and I never will. I don't like hot Aunt May (Marisa Tomei herself I very much like!) and I wasn't crazy about Spider-Man globetrotting. 

But it is what it is. The film itself is uproaringly funny, visually amazing (Ditko coming alive!) and very, very smart. The school channel report is maybe the greatest intro of any Marvel film and it sets the tone perfectly. After all the ENDGAME drama (which was great), this is the perfect following. Very impressed.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 3:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Robert Castellanos wrote:
After all the ENDGAME drama (which was great), this is the perfect following. Very impressed.

Yes!  I listen to a great podcast from NPR (highly recommended) called POP CULTURE HAPPYHOUR.  Their review of the film was...less than stellar. At every turn as I was listening, I thought to myself "did we watch the same film?" but one of their chief complaints was that there should have been a fallow period between ENDGAME and whatever came next.  And that "next" should have been next year.  I wholeheartedly disagree.  I thought FAR FROM HOME was a perfect coda for ENDGAME while also setting up, ever so subtly, what would come next. Of all the characters affected by Tony's death, Peter would be front and center. That may not be as it is in the comics (::shocker!!::) but it is in this universe.   As such, I felt it gave weight and gravitas to a tragic event in a film that has, let's face it, far less stakes than saving the world.  

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I wasn't crazy about Spider-Man globetrotting. 

Same here! But after seeing it, I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would. It actually really made me enjoy him being back in the city in the end credits. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And seeing that made me REALLY hope that the next one is in NYC. 

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw it yesterday and it was the first Marvel movie that I disliked.
All the characters, instead of being entertaining, got on my nerves (especially Aunt May, Peter and Happy). 

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hated it. It made me sad to see beloved character(s) so misrepresented; I can't imagine any long-time Spidey fan actually liking it. Most of the positive reviews that I have seen go along the lines of: 'It was great, my 10-year old son loved it' 

I've got a nephew who thought Jurassic Park III was the best one.

Case. Rested.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version