Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As to my thoughts on the film...I thought it was exceptional.  Aside from the "Peter tingle" line that has gotten the board in a uproar (I didn't like it either), I thought it was fantastic.  Mysterio is a hard character to convincingly portray and I think they did a fantastic job here.  He's now second only to Loki as a favorite villain in the MCU for me.  His origin was solid.  His abilities were clear, brilliantly spread out as they were portrayed among several other people.  The fight scenes with Mysterio were straight out of the mind of Ditko.  I loved the teenaged love dynamic between several sets of kids and, specifically, I thought the romance between Peter and MJ was earned.  There was humor and pathos and moments of actual drama that I wasn't previously spoiled to that worked really well for me.  

My personal opinion is that the Raimi films, all of them, are crap.  I've said as much here and elsewhere.  As much as I enjoyed HOMECOMING, and I did quite a bit, I think this is the best live-action Spider-Man film by far.  Hands down.  It captured all of the teen angst, the doubts, the conundrum of being Spider-Man while also being a teenager just wanting to be a kid.  Lines about Peter being the smartest person in the room coupled with him figuring out what it would take to create a suit that would take down Mysterio reinforces instead of mitigates Peter's brilliance.  I loved that.  But it's also the quiet moments of him wanting to find the perfect gift to give to the person he's so totally fallen for that makes it resonate.  It's the human, down-to-earth elements that have always made Spider-Man relatable to a vast audience that were captured here so perfectly.

Haters are gonna hate, but I came out of the theatre on a high.  Sue me.  I loved it.
Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What Matt said....

Iíll double down on that.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My 11 year old boy really wants to see this.

I watched the trailer and... Nick Fury says, "bitch, please"  -- thankfully, not to a female character!

But, still, I just do not like that, at all.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Regarding license plates, i spotted TASM143 and AF1562,
as well as those mentioned!
I enjoyed it a lot!
One thing that took me out of the movie...flying a jet
from The Netherlands to London, you`d assume they`d go
as the crow flies, especially as time is of the essence,
yet they approach the U.K. from the Dorset coast!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What Matt said....

Iíll double down on that.

As will I. Everything he said was spot on. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fun movie!

Mysterio was all I could have possibly hoped for from Hollywood, excellent!

Loved the nods (whether intended or not) to those early Lee/Ditko stories, with the black & red costume, and  gliding Spider-Man.

Kevin Corcoran
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm queuing up behind Ronald and Joseph in seconding (and ... thirding? ... echoing!!) Matt's overall assessment of FFH. The battle scene with Mysterio is indeed unlike any other comic book character battle I've seen translated to the big screen. 

There were moments in Ragnarok (the arena dust-up) that fired similar neurons, but as Spidey is my main guy, there was something visceral about watching Mysterio's relentless (and emotionally ruthless, given the battle damaged, spider covered corpse crawling towards him) attack.

To watch Spider-Man use his ... Spider-Sense ... to successfully defeat the baddie WITHOUT his web shooters was another thrill. 

Lastly, the splendid effects in the Mysterio attacks reminded my of a working theory of mine (formulated before the Endgame reveal) as to what the Far From Home story would be: In ASM 500-502, the Happy Birthday storyline, Dr. Strange and Spider-Man have been lost in time after battling Dormammu. Spidey then has to fight forward through time, reliving all of his major battles, following the sound of Dr. Strange's voice.  Since Infinity War had both characters die, and were both (from a geographic / spatial sense Far From Home) it was fun bouncing that theory around in my head.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I mostly agree with Matt. I enjoyed it. I laughed when I was supposed to laugh, repeatedly. And Mysterio was handled properly. And the fishbowl head looked good! Once upon a time that would've been impossible.

I do home the next movie does more than just obliquely mention Uncle Ben. And at some point Peter needs to get a costume that looks at least as close to the traditional Spider-suit as Andrew Garfield got in the otherwise awful THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's a "you" thing. Sony has zero control over Spider-Man. They have essentially licensed him back to Marvel, who are actually telling the story. It's a "Sony movie" in name only. In reality? It's a Disney movie. Sony is just raking in the $$ just as Universal is earning money from the Hulk.

Matt, since you are more knowledgeable on the movie rights aspects of Spider-Man, I have a question for you. Did Marvel sell the rights or sell the movie rights to Sony? I ask this question because Grace Randolph of her Beyond The Trailer Youtube has repeatedly said that Marvel has sold the rights to Spider-Man to Sony, which doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I've always been under the impression that Marvel only licensed the character out to Sony, not outright sold them the movie rights.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Adam wrote..."I do hope the next movie does more than
just obliquely mention Uncle Ben. And at some point
Peter needs to get a costume that looks at least as
close to the traditional Spider-suit as Andrew Garfield
got in the otherwise awful THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2"

The black and red with underarm webbing in FFH, is as
close to the original as we`ve seen!

As i sat through the credits, i saw that A Town Called
Malice by The Jam was credited, can anyone tell me where
it was used, as i didn`t spot it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I loved the movie - a wonderful Spider-Man story that
continues and expands his universe while giving us a great
follow-up to ENDGAME.

The license plate aspect is awesome- I didn't even come
close to catching that!

I am thrilled that JJJ is there. And I am glad they didn't
try to recreate his look from the Raimi films.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"I am thrilled that JJJ is there. And I am glad they didn't
try to recreate his look from the Raimi films"

Tim, do you just not want the connection to the Raimi films?
'Cuz Simmons' JJJ from those films is about as close as Hollywood has got to getting a character perfect.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version