Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My understanding is that it was Kevin Feige who convinced Sony to play the Spider-Man movies as John Hughes-esque teen comedies and sought out the director and writers to carry that out. Why do you think that is a Sony directive?

If that is the case then so be it. To me the two Spider-Man movies just feel a little off compared to the way the Marvel Studios movies are done which is why I was thinking that Sony was taking more of a lead on these movies.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I guess Fury was also on Summer vacation and needed them to give him time off (sigh).

------

The scene appeared to be setting up Phase IV, which is supposed to lean heavily on the cosmic aspects of the Marvel Universe. There's speculation about just how long Nick Fury has been gone, whether he's building the MCU version of S.W.O.R.D., and if this will lead to a take on Secret Invasion or Kree-Skrull War. Not sure why you think it was a jokey scene about Fury being on summer vacation.

Well, Nick was shown in front of a beach/tropical image with his pant legs rolled up leading to the idea he was taking a vacation as well which then ended when the Skrulls called him.

Edited by Sam Houston on 06 July 2019 at 5:43pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't mind this approach ("John Hughes-esque teen comedies")... to me, it's keeping this batch of Spider-Man films fresh, and helping to differentiate from the past Raimi and Webb entries.  And the young actors are all likable and very funny.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 July 2019 at 5:46pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I enjoyed the movie. I thought the Spider-Man/Mysterio illusion scenes were very well done - reminded me of the way they're represented in the comics.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

More recognizable than Ariel?

It's been theorize that the only reason Disney race bent Ariel was in order to ward off any negative criticism for having a story set in the Caribbean and none of the lead characters being Black/part Black.

Except it’s not set in the Caribbean. It’s in the North Atlantic around Denmark. 

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:

I caught a license plate with MTU83779 on it. I immediately thought MARVEL TEAM-UP but those numbers following it were meaningless to me. 

— Update —

A quick search tells me that MT-U #83 was Spider-Man and Nick Fury and had a cover date of July, 1979. 

THANK YOU!  Earlier in the movie Fury is driving a car with the plat ASM followed by a string of numbers.  I noticed that, then the MTU plate, and suspected something was going on, but couldn't crack the whole code.  During the post-credits scene, the plate starts with HNM, and I couldn't connect that with anything.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Except it’s not set in the Caribbean. It’s in the North Atlantic around Denmark.

Are you talking about the book or the movie?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THANK YOU!  Earlier in the movie Fury is driving a car with the plat ASM followed by a string of numbers.

——-

ASM28965. Amazing Spider-Man #28, first appearance of Molten Man, cover date September 1965. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, Nick was shown in front of a beach/tropical image with his pant legs rolled up leading to the idea he was taking a vacation as well which then ended when the Skrulls called him.

——

Sure. You were initially led to believe he was on vacation, but the rest of the scene makes it clear he’s up in space building something with the Skrulls and was only taking a break. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If that is the case then so be it. To me the two Spider-Man movies just feel a little off compared to the way the Marvel Studios movies are done which is why I was thinking that Sony was taking more of a lead on these movies.

———

I don’t see them as any different from the Ant-Man movies, which are jokey heist films. Luis’ “Drunk History” monologues would be out of place tonally in the Avengers films.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Charles Valderrama wrote:
Yet we have another villain created by Tony Stark... seems to be a trend! Still, Mysterio's character was a great adaptation from the comics... tho' the   MCU Spider-Man movies have yet to top the Spidey/Doc Ock action from Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 2, but fingers are crossed.

Have to strongly, and I mean STRONGLY, disagree.  This was, to me, hands down the best villain fight of any Spider-Man film.  Ever.  It was as if I saw the comic books come to life.  I never thought we'd get a true representation of Mysterio and his Ditko-esque fights, but we most certainly did.  They were weird and trippy and wonderful.  Top-notch.  For this fan?  Heads and tails above any other battle we've ever seen on the screen featuring SM.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Sam Houston wrote:
As much as I enjoyed the 2nd Spider-Man movie compared to the 1st one, for me I can see more of Sony's control of SM compared to Marvel Studios and their having more control of him in Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame...

That's a "you" thing.  Sony has zero control over Spider-Man.  They have essentially licensed him back to Marvel, who are actually telling the story.  It's a "Sony movie" in name only.  In reality?  It's a Disney movie.  Sony is just raking in the $$ just as Universal is earning money from the Hulk.  

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version