Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: THE MASKED SINGER Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Has anyone else been watching this? (The U.S. version)

I'm not dropping any spoilers yet, but....

The first episode I was stymied on most of the contestants, and didn't correctly guess who the eliminated one was. Heidi and I disagree on who Monster is, and have a few candidates we kinda sorta agree on for the others. But we don't agree at all on Lion. Even moreso than on Monster. 

Episode 2, I correctly guessed the eliminated singer. Clues were too obvious, for one thing. Heidi and I think we know who the Raven and Rabbit are, and have some ideas for the others but aren't sure.

The show is great. I'm already hoping for a second season.

The funny thing is, Heidi thinks the Alien from episode 2 might be the person I think is Lion from episode 1. 

If anyone is watching and wants to share their guesses, then I'll share ours.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm definitely watching and enjoying the heck out of it.

I'm not sure who all the singers might be, but I'll use spoiler text my guesses though of those I suspect:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Peacock is Donny Osmond.  Monster is Ceelo Green.  Unicorn is Tori Spelling.  Lion is Queen Latifah.  

Rabbit is Neil Patrick Harris.  Bee is Gladys Knight.  Alien is Kylie Jenner.  Raven is Rikki Lake.  

No idea who Poodle or Deer might be.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I’ve stepped thru the looking glass again, haven’t I?

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My first comment to my wife when we saw the commercial still holds: it's like they're actually making Jack Donaghy's "Tank It" lineup into real shows.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Watching the promos, I feel like I'm in an episode of BLACK MIRROR. I'm waiting for the super-dark turn.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Kevin, I agree with you on Peacock, Bee and Raven. Raven is a definite lock, and it can't be anyone else if you add all the clues up. Your choice for Rabbit and Lion don't fit some of the clues. Plus I've heard your choice for Rabbit sing. Doesn't sound anything like him.

Rabbit's clues point to him being in a band. His last clue, `It's gonna be me' is the name of an N*Sync song. I'm thinking Lance Bass or Joey Fatone. 

Lion is from Hollywood royalty, and there's a lot of women in her pride. Heidi thinks it could be Willow Smith (doesn't match the lot of women clue!), and I think its Rumer Willis (her mom and sisters match the clue).

Meanwhile, Heidi thinks Alien is Rumer, and I think its either Kourtney Kardashian or Kylie Jenner. Heidi thinks Unicorn is Paris Hilton, while I think you might be right about it being Tori Spelling but am not fully convinced (Unicorn could very well be Willow). Heidi thinks Monster is Bobby Brown, while I think it is T-Pain. 

We're both stumped on the rest. But I've been looking at Youtube comments, and am laughing at some of the choices. Lot of people think Deer is Terry Bradshaw and Poodle is Raven Symone. (The family clue pointing to the Huxtables from The Cosby Show, not her real family.) I don't believe either of those. And the `I'm here for your honor' clue has me stymied. I do think Poodle is going to be a `go smack yourself', though, because her singing voice sounds familiar.

I do think Deer is a current or former NFL player, though. Look at the way the mask is laced up. It looks like a football, and they pled the 5th when asked about being a football player. A boxer or MMA fighter would have said no. I thought the shower pointed to it being Terry Crews, who was an NFL player and did Old Spice commercials that mostly took place in the shower, but the other clues don't make sense. I think it is someone who either played/plays for the Colts or Broncos, or has a horse ranch.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 January 2019 at 3:22pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Also, how do you do inviso-text in a box? When I attempt it, it just turns up as white text that isn't hidden well.

For some reason, I had to make a separate post to ask, because when I edited my previous post, I couldn't get the text to show up. *shrugs*

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My wife finds the whole thing deeply creepy but I enjoy it. And those are some interesting guesses!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Also, how do you do inviso-text in a box? When I attempt it, it just turns up as white text that isn't hidden well.

———

[ INVISO ] Insert text here. [ /INVISO ]

Remove the spaces in the brackets. 

Edited by Michael Roberts on 10 January 2019 at 3:13pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks, Michael. I went back and edited my post. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Really, isn't this "What's My Line?" with a piano, but sixty years later? Well, and with no dignity or self-respect...

If that's applicable (which I obviously think), it just needs a little cleaning up to make it watchable.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't watch the show and, having seen the trailers, never want to BUT I'm hard pressed to understand how someone can assume that there is "no dignity or self-respect" in the product when the person making that comment hasn't seen it either.

Listen, this is obviously a thread started by a fan.  No need to shit on it.  If you don't like it, fine.  Start a thread on that.  But don't rain on their parade by mocking it.  How hard is it not to post your negative thoughts in a thread that's obviously not geared toward you?

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'm enjoying it a lot, at least more than I thought I would. It's fun and I like the premise. I also guessed last week's eliminated person correctly. I find the judges a little annoying, but overall really well done so far and looking forward to more.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Matt, thanks for what you said to Eric. Pretty much mirrors my thoughts, except you were less harsh that I'd have been if I had responded. But I chose to just ignore it. There's always someone who just has to be a spoil-sport....

I will say this: I've been seeing people's guesses online (mainly on the official Youtube videos, but other places, too), and a lot of people ignore the clues altogether. For example, a lot of guesses that the Rabbit is Donnie Wahlberg. NKOTB do not match the final clue the Rabbit gave during his video.

From the second episode, the Poodle is the one who seems to have everyone stumped.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Matt - I see. Well, I would say that watching the panelists and comparing them to - I dunno, kinda every other type show (AGT, the Voice, Chopped - I don't watch much of 'em), I don't know that all the panelists throw themselves all over the set, make funny faces, and make insipid comments - but certainly perhaps the commercials are different from the content of the regular show. So it seems to ME that it's not very dignified or self-respectful. Thus the comparison to "What's My Line?", a pretty good show in its day, or needing a little cleaning up to make it watchable - and of course, that's my opinion as it's on every week (and I can't watch it anyhow because my cable system is fighting with Fox network.)

But if a criticism, a nice comparison (I thought), and an observation qualify to a hateful condemnation of the show, and a ridiculing of the original post, then that's your judgment, young man. You read something quite different than I posted. 

Brian F., I have no disrespect or contempt for you; I rather like your posts, actually. Just thought I'd post a different opinion, and I'm sorry you took it personally; it surely isn't.

And to prove it, I'll watch an episode or two, and let you know what I found positive after I see it.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Eric, I just thought the way you worded your comment could be taken as insulting to both the performers and viewers. Even if that was not your intent, and it is clear that it wasn't.

And there's no comparison whatsoever to What's My Line?, really. I've seen re-runs of it, and the viewers knew who the contestants were and what their job was. On the Masked Singer the viewers (and judges) are given clues to their identities, and one of the six performers is unmasked at the end.

The fun is in trying to guess who the performers might be, and the performers have various reasons for participating. Some are singers who've been out of the public eye and want to see if they've still got iit. Others are non-singers who want to be judged strictly on their singing talent (or lack of it). The disguises are so there's no pre-concieved notions. After all, you're not going to pre-judge someone if you don't know who they are. 

I'm pretty damn sure I know who the Bee and Raven from the second episode are, and am confident in my pick for who the Peacock from the first episode is. But I'm thoroughly stumped on the Poodle from episode two.

Also, I believe that one of the contestants from episode one got sympathy votes and advanced due to their story, not their singing. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
But if a criticism, a nice comparison (I thought), and an observation qualify to a hateful condemnation of the show, and a ridiculing of the original post, then that's your judgment, young man. You read something quite different than I posted.

Thanks for the "young man" comment, but I'm pretty sure we're close to the same age.  Appreciate being called "young" though! Been a long time.

As to your original post in the thread, if you can't see that "with no dignity or self-respect" could be seen as a slam not only against a series you haven't seen but the viewers who enjoy the content, then I don't really know what else to say.  The "observation" as you call it is from the commercials but not from watching the show, yet you felt it important enough to jump into a thread obviously made for fans to tell them that what they like has "no dignity or self-respect" and that it just needs "some cleaning up to make it watchable".  Just saying.  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Okay, Brian. I'm sorry. I apologize for presenting my comments so that they might have appeared to be insulting to you. And as noted, I'll watch it once or twice and let you know what I think. I will also let you know that you'll get my full and honest opinion - so if I really don't like it,  you'll hear about it. But I'll be fair.

It seems "What's My Line" like because we don't know what the guest does, and sometimes they wore a mask to make it harder to figure out who they were. I hope you can see how I concluded that comparison.

Matt, I'm 58. You present your self as early 40s to me... you seem a bit more flexible and active than I am. I write this stuff in my head as it comes out on my keyboard. See, it's my internal "edit" function that's old and creaky... :)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Matt, early 40s?!? Ha ha ha ha ...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

People in their early 40s now were teenagers in the early 90s. Matt keeps making old person references to teenage things in the /80s/. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

My age is in line with the kid brother from FREAKS AND GEEKS.  Make of that what you will!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Kevin, my wife came up with same guess as you for Peacock...and I think it's a good one. 

I came up with the same guess as you for Bee. The voice is pretty distinctive. 

I feel really dumb for not guessing the eliminated singer for episode 2. I discounted the idea when it was bandied about by the panel as I know he started his career as a musician, and frankly, thought he would sing better than that. 

For example, a lot of guesses that the Rabbit is Donnie Wahlberg.

Would Jenny McCarthy not know??

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2019 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm calling foul if it is him. At least one of the clues doesn't fit. It points to the Rabbit being a member of a different group than NKOTB.

If anyone wants to skip watching the show but take a peek, or just go review clues and performances again, videos are up on Youtube. And like I said, a lot of people making guesses there are ignoring clues.....just like the judges.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 15 January 2019 at 9:44pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2019 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Getting a guess in while the current episode is on:

The Deer = Robert Griffin IIII, aka RGIII.

Last week, he said he likes horses, and `Ravens, beware'. This week he said he has multiple world titles in track and field, and he knows all about throwing.

RGIII won a lot of track and field medals and broke records in high school and college....in Texas, where they do like their horses. And he's the Baltimore Ravens' backup QB.

*edited to add* Okay, I was wrong. I stand by my reasoning, but one clue dropped in episode 1 still has me stumped, as there was no explanation given:

Unless I misheard what he said wrong, what does `Ravens, beware' have to do with him?

Also adding the following guess based on the episode:

Unicorn - Tori Spelling (and Unicorn should have been eliminated. Worst singer we've heard so far.)

I've already said I think Lion is Rumer Willis and Peacock is Donny Osmond. After this episode, I'm 100% certain on both. And now Heidi is, too. We still don't agree on Monster, though.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 17 January 2019 at 1:13am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I watched part of it last night. Yeah, there's a certain charm to it, and even a little less silliness than the commercials promise. It's not for ME, but I see the attraction. Surely a fun hour for those who enjoy these types of shows.

SPOILER: Brian F., "Ravens beware" seems to me a pretty reasonable comment...

...from the MVP quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers, arch-rival of the Baltimore Ravens in the NFL's AFC North. (Also home of the Cleveland Browns, who have NO affection for the Ravens either. Go Browns.)

Edited by Eric Sofer on 17 January 2019 at 9:58am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version