Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's my latest!

Edited by Paul Wills on 26 December 2019 at 11:25am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2019 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've returned home from work for the Festive holidays. Looking through Johns fantastic art and my various attempts at trying to find some sort of 'voice' using Austinanian language has been much fun. Some attempts had not been shared. I share them now as I prep my folders for the oncoming new year.

Best,

-D

[edit 'the' for 'my']

Edited by Darren Taylor on 26 December 2019 at 2:21pm

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2019 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nice work, Darren! This isn't the way I've been seeing the inked pages in my head, but it looks really good. Whoever colored this would have to show considerable restraint in order to keep from killing some of the details though. It almost feels as though it's inked for final publication in black and white.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wallace, my problem is the zoom function!

In the real world, I spent a few decades learning what a brush/nib/pen stroke looks like at actual size and how that translates in reduction. In this way, some lines that look messy, frayed or disjointed can come together for the final effect. Keeping in mind the final product is smaller than the size it is produced. Like if Mercedes made their cars 45% bigger through the factory only to shrink-ray them before they go out the factory door;)

I haven't yet found that balance when 'inking' on someone else digitally. So no small amount of -over-inking- you are seeing is me not yet aware of where my parameters lie.

I'm learning with each attempt. 

Lines lost are lines that weren't planned correctly. As you can see here. I lost a lot of lines. Doh!

The one I am inking just now will hopefully have a slightly better handle on this.

(edit: reattach the image correctly)

Edited by Darren Taylor on 31 December 2019 at 11:20am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Lots of great work guys... I particularly like Darren's image of Cyclops touching his visor above... Austinian indeed!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow! Very nice work from Paul, Eric and Darren!

I agree with Darren and Rick- that panel of Cyclops touching his visor screams Austin!
Back to Top profile | search

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here are my own latest attempts:

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Darren, I really love the way you are bringing an Austin style to the modern, more complex Byrne pencils.

JB has grown so much that an, I want to say "nostalgic", Austin-style version of inking of his work is hard to pull off. Technically, there is very little 80's-style left in JB's work. That artistic identity that makes JB's work his own remains, but it takes imagination to guess how an 80's version of the Byrne/Austin collaboration would look if it were magically applied to these pencils.

Your panels do a really neat thing by bringing that imaginary mix very close to life. Thanks!

Edited by Mark Haslett on 31 December 2019 at 3:24pm

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks, Mark. It was precisely the question of "What might that look like?" that motivated my study.

But it is also a question that is rooted in nostalgia, so inherently has two problems. It could not only look out of date* but could also now be an ill fit.

[The fabulous Matt Lucas]

All I am doing is an 'impression'. A poor ham-fisted attempt but done with love and respect, I hope that comes across. The more I voice what I see in JB's pencils, the poorer that impression becomes. Still, it continues to be very rewarding as I learn a lot from the process and the study.

*Given how brilliant the story and the art is, shoe-horning a nostalgic gimmick in there would be nothing but a disservice. What is that saying about 'Curiosity---?'

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2020 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think it's safe to assume a lot of us consider the Byrne/Austin component of JB's X-Men run important.

It's natural to wonder if it could come back, but obvious to anyone paying attention that JB and Terry have grown in ways that don't match in the same combustive way they used to.

That's an interesting topic in itself, but when it comes to a specific interest in seeing that Byrne/Austin style somehow echoed in this new series, I'm really impressed with a lot of your ideas. I know if I tried inking these pages, I'd be helpless to resist trying to ape Austin and I'd be doomed. You, on the other hand, approach a similar idea from a much better, more organic place-- "influenced" by Terry Austin.

I think the Colossus image above hits a neat sweet-spot. To me, it's a figure only today's JB could have drawn, but it reveals details and metal technique I've only seen before in Byrne/Austin work.

I hope you'll keep on with this!

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2020 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Great work, all! Interesting how the same pencil lines produce varying styles as the end result of inking.
Scott - I had previously inked the page of Kitty falling through the ground and know how tedious the rubble was to ink!

<< Prev Page of 95 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version