Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: "Roma"- Now A Golden Globe Winner AND Oscar Winner Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

While everybody is talking about "Bird Box" - but interestingly, not on here- I caught another great Netflix movie the other day: "Roma."  Directed by Alfonso Cuaron ("Gravity," "Y Tu Mama Tambien," "Prisoner of Azkaban"), it's a beautiful film set in Mexico City in the early 70s.  It's really worth seeing for the cinematography alone.  

Edited by Ed Aycock on 25 February 2019 at 6:28am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2019 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ok, this may have received no responses but it did get the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language film last night so... it's worth it, people.  

Edited by Ed Aycock on 07 January 2019 at 7:59am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2019 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's on my radar.  Will definitely catch it on Netflix, probably this week.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I totally agree, Ed - this is an excellent movie.  I waited for it to come on Netflix because it was such a short theatrical window, and immediately regretted not seeing this in the theater.  Cuaron's cinematography is gorgeous.  So if you watch it on Netflix, be sure to at least watch on TV and not your computer - get the biggest screen you can find!  I saw it over the weekend and haven't stopped thinking about it, so I will probably so see it again in the theater.

Yalitza Aparicio is amazing as Cleo - the heartbreak in some of these scenes comes from such a wonderful performance.

Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tim, I'm still thinking about it too.  When I read that Aparicio is a schoolteacher in real life, a lot of her performance made sense.  

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I donít have Netflix, and I donít think shows/movies on streaming services should be nominated for these awards. Only those that are freely available to everyone.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think you should get Netflix, youíre missing out. I also think I get where youíre going with that, but movies at the cinema are not freely available for everyone. You have to pay to go in and watch the movie. Arguably, the cost of one movie ticket is more than a month of Netflix. Netflix is freely available to everyone to buy too, unless youíre a weirdo with no internet service. Even if you donít have a roku device or a smart tv, or a DVD player with WiFi or a gaming system, or a smart phone that you can use for streaming, you can still order the movies on dvd through the mail. This is the world weíre in now. Netflix is producing movies, so if youíre awarding movies, they should be in the prize pool with everyone else.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It was released in "select theaters" before it was on Netflix in order to be eligible and will most likely be shown in more theaters it gets more awards.  And that's about the same amount of theaters it would be shown in if it were never streamed on Netflix.  Unless you're "Life is Beautiful" or "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," Best Foreign Film Winners are lucky if they are shown outside New York, LA and Chicago and small art towns.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was finally able to get my theatrical experience with this one - and it was amazing!  The American Cinematheque had a 70mm screening at The Egyptian in Hollywood this past Sunday.  The film is even better on screen - the black & white cinematography is beautiful and accentuates the wonderful performances.  Subtle flourishes I missed on TV were big as life on screen and even more impactful.  

The sound design was really something else - I didnít give it much thought on TV, but it added significantly to the experience.

After the screening, there was a panel discussion with Yelitza Aparicio and Marina de Tavira - am interesting discussion with all of the energy you would expect from two Oscar nominees.  The theater was sold out, so it was packed.  Itís great to see a movie like this with a large and appreciative crowd. 

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, color me jealous, Tim! How did the giant lobster look? :)

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ha!  The lobster was even BIGGER on screen, Ed!  It got a good laugh from the audience, about half of which had not seen the film before Sunday (per an informal poll by the moderator, who asked for a show of hands).

There was also some knowing laughter when the scene from MAROONED (1969) came on screen.  For a moment, I didn't realize why people were laughing as the scene wasn't campy or silly, and then I realized that the film is a reference to Cuaron's GRAVITY (2013).  Reading about it the next day, the movie was a huge influence on Cuaron as a kid and informed his filming GRAVITY.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I donít have Netflix, and I donít think shows/movies on streaming services should be nominated for these awards. Only those that are freely available to everyone.

HBO shows have been winning Emmys long before streaming started. Itís not free to anyone. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Getting Netflix for a month to binge several television series and their self-produced films is cheaper than paying for a single ticket in a theatre, at least here in LA.  I get the notion that ROMA hasn't had a wide release, but many Oscar winners didn't.  Many didn't hit middle America.  Many weren't offered on the six screen theatre in a town pop. 3,000.  The gas to drive to the one town that had it + the time to and from + ancillary items like popcorn and soda + hey, if you're going to do all that you should make a date night out of it, so dinner as well = a hell of a lot more cost and expenditure of time than the ease of downloading an app and watching it on your TV, phone or laptop.  I'd actually counter that Netflix makes it more freely available to all than being forced to watch only in a theatre.  

ROMA has been available to stream on Netflix since December and has been streamed millions of times according to the latest estimates.  I doubt a film like this would have had that wide an audience if the only way to view it was in the theatre.  

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Best Cinematography, Best Foreign Language Film and Best Director.  Not bad at all!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Agreed, Ed!

I was glad it got Foreign Language Film, but I felt at that moment that it wouldn't win Best Picture, which I was hoping for.

I am so glad it got recognized and hope that more people check it out.  

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Gorgeous cinematography.  Pleased it won that category.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Netflix is annoying in that it seems on a hairs width of
not being worth it all the time. Every now and then I
will get something out of it, but then I go weeks
without watching.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I look at Netflix as the cost of a couple of comics per
month, 20 minutes reading, if you`re lucky, versus hours
of films, documentaries and tv shows.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Yeah that is it's plus, it is very cheap. I wish there
was a way to do that with the comic industry.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version