Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music
Topic: Any jazz fans on this board? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2018 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I haven't seen much jazz discussion here. I hope at least some of you love jazz as much as I do.

I've been on an Eric Dolphy "kick" lately. He really was extraordinary. And of course, like so many of the 20th century's best musicians, he died so tragically young (36!!).
Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I listen to a lot of jazz. John Coltrane is a huge favourite. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I love jazz, but usually only works between the '20s and '60s.  More modern jazz is not to my liking.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2019 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Into the older forms of jazz as well but some of the new stuff is interesting. 

I actually got my first taste of jazz from the Young Indiana Jones episode "Mystery of the Blues". 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2019 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Neil -- I'm curious who counts as the "new stuff" for you. I admit I'm mostly "stuck in the past" myself, but it's mainly the "adventurous past" of the '60s.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Anything after the '60s is new to me as well. I'm a big-band kind of guy anyway who listens to Johnny Horton and Jim Reeves as well as Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington. Crooners and jazz. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I love old big band Jazz. Like the Dorsey Brothers, early Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, etc. And `Dizzy' Gillespie is one of the best trumpeters I've heard.

As far as more modern Jazz goes, I like Michael Buble (though it can be argued he's Jazz/Pop), *some* Miles Davis and Chuck Mangione. That's about it.

Absolutely cannot stand improvisational Jazz, however. Most of it sounds like they're tuning their instruments rather than playing. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian -- Dizzy was very much an improviser. He co-created bebop with Charlie Parker (alto sax) and Kenny Clarke (drums), after all, and bebop was about improvisational virtuosity first and foremost. And that was circa 1940, when modern jazz starts (everything from bebop onward counts as "modern jazz." Yes, I know it's a long stretch of decades.).

If you don't know Charlie "Bird" Parker too well these are good places to start:

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Maybe Brian meant free jazz.

I'm fond of Art Tatum, Count Basie and Oscar Peterson.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm into classic bop the most (Miles, Trane, Dizzy, Monk, etc.), swing (Duke), a narrow range of fusion (mainly Miles' brief foray and some Chick Corea, etal), a smattering of the least furrowed brow free / avante-garde (Ornette, Pharoah Sanders) plus a broad spectrum of pianists skirting various aspects of these (Tatum, Tyner, Cecil Taylor, Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal, Peterson, Brubeck, Hancock.)  I haven't heard much that interests me post about 1985, however. 

Edited by Rick Senger on 08 January 2019 at 2:17pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I love Ornette Coleman. In retrospect it's hard to see why people were so outraged about his particular sound. "Free jazz," yes -- he and his quartet weren't playing over chord changes -- but he and Don Cherry were playing perfectly melodic music. Ornette in particular often sounded like he was playing the blues, minus blues chord changes. 

Pharoah Sanders is another matter and I prefer him when he's not figuratively screaming at the top of his lungs all the time.

I'm a Cecil Taylor fan. I guess things that annoy me on tenor sax sound thrilling to me on piano. The question of whether he was "really" a jazz musician isn't important to me -- I liked him regardless of whatever he "really" was.

Art Tatum was technically astonishing but honestly, to my ears his solos sound like a big blur of notes. No phrasing. His disciples, so to speak, played better music than he did (Bud Powell in particular).

Miles Davis's '70s LPs are all pretty great. Jazz-rock and jazz-funk fusion were usually awful, but Miles never sounded like he'd "gone commercial." (His '80s LPs are another matter.)  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version