Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Plot Twists Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Do you require plot twists in the films that you watch, or are you satisfied with a story that is more linear?   

Also, do you require more plot twists in contemporary films, more so than past films?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Plot twists in movies are fine if they're present or if they're not. I just prefer if the `plot twist' isn't one I can see coming a mile away.....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This isn't much of an answer! I don't need a plot twist, but I can enjoy it if it's a good one.

I don't care for plot twists for the sake of plot twists, aka the career of M. Night Shyamalan.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Personally, I crave plot twists in movies.  But as Steven said, it better be a good one and not gratuitous and silly.

Marc

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Like Brian, if I see it coming it's not really a twist.
Then there's the stories where they try and pile 3 or 4 twists in the last 15 minutes, no thanks.
So to answer your question Eric, no I do not require a "twist".

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ultimately, it depends on the story being told. I don't think the plot is the be all end all of a story so if it's not unusually surprising, that's ok, assuming the characters and themes are enough to carry it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I’m fine with plot twists, as long as they don’t cheat. When the reveal comes, the audience reaction should be “Oh-hh!” not “Huh??”

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I quite like them, but do not require them. The quality of the journey is just as important as the destination. Having an unexpected kink in the road can add a bit of spice to the journey, but definitely not required.

I would also say that it depends on the genre. If it's a sleuthing-type film or a mystery potboiler, then it pretty much goes with the territory and so there is greater expectation for a twist with such films. If it's, say, a historical epic then no twist required, please.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My test for a good plot twist is if I don't see it coming, but when I rewatch the film, I feel stupid because it seems obvious.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My test for a good plot twist is if I don't see it coming, but when I rewatch the film, I feel stupid because it seems obvious.

Agreed. There are a couple of examples that I won't mention because doing so would be kinda spoiler-y. 

That said, something straightforward is enjoyable, too.

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in agreement with most here.  I don't require them, but if they are good. I'm all for it.

One of my favorite plot twists is from film The Marathon Man dealing with the  William Devane character.  He was asking all the same questions as the "dentist" and I was as shocked as the Hoffman character during the reveal.

Edited by Eric Russ on 27 December 2018 at 11:35am

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't require them, but I appreciate a good plot twist if it makes sense after the reveal. 

THE SIXTH SENSE had a great plot twist. Every Shayamalan film sine.. well, hasn't. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

THE SIXTH SENSE had a great plot twist. Every Shayamalan film sine.. well, hasn't. 

——

To me, what made the twist in THE SIXTH SENSE work was not the twist itself, but how that reveal affected how you viewed the relationship between Bruce Willis’ character and his wife. It was an emotional gutpunch. I feel like Shyamalan took the wrong lesson from THE SIXTH SENSE and started focusing on the “cleverness” of the twist instead of the emotional resonance it had.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

To me, what made the twist in THE SIXTH SENSE work was not the twist itself...

I spoiled the twist for myself by overthinking one thing my sister said to me after seeing it.

HER: "We saw The Sixth Sense last night. You'll love it. especially the end."
[pause]
ME: "Bruce Willis is already dead, isn't he?!?"

Despite that, I still enjoyed the movie.  

As for twists, a story: I read (and loved) Stephen King's The Mist. I thought the end of the book was very powerful and it affected me long after I read it. 

They changed the ending drastically for the movie to give us all a big twist and I'm of two minds about it. When I weigh the new ending against the one in the book, I hate it vehemently. It almost makes me angry.   
But, when I think of it in terms of something like The Twilight Zone, it's fairly brilliant. 

Had I seen the movie before I read the book, like I did with The Shawshank Redemption, the changes probably wouldn't have bothered me much, if at all.   

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Ronald, I'm with you in preferring the original ending of The Mist. Although bleak, the film version seems too pat. For me, the original ending was more bleak in that it genuinely was hopeless.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Ronald, I'm with you in preferring the original ending of The Mist. Although bleak, the film version seems too pat. For me, the original ending was more bleak in that it genuinely was hopeless.

Exactly. 

I remember closing the book when I finished it and just sitting there in silence for a while absorbing what just happened. I loved that there was no solid answer offered up as to what the mist was, just a lot of paranoid speculation. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 December 2018 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I do not understand how anyone can say THE SIXTH SENSE HAS A “twist” ending. The kid sees dead people, and Willis is SHOT like, three minutes into the movie!!

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I actually remember thinking at the start of the Sixth Sense, that Bruce Willis' character had died due to the camera shot of him pulling back from above. As that's frequently used in movies and tv when a character is killed.
As the movie went on, I dismissed that as myself reading too much into it. As I saw his character seemingly interact with his wife and others, until of course the late reveal. I guess I should have stuck with my initial instincts. (The first instinct is often the best one!)

Of course the whole reason it worked back then is that no one was expecting a twist, as there hadn't been any of those types of movies from M. Night Shyamalan. Had he done it as one of his later movies, I think it's safe to assume pretty much everyone would have reached that conclusion right from the start.

I think twists only really work if you have no expectation that there's going to be one. I knew nothing about Fight Club when I first saw it, and so enjoyed the plot development in that one.

I can't say that I require them, but it's nice to encounter a decent one every now and again.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

THE SIXTH SENSE isn't really a plot twist, like JB said. For me, the best M. Night Shaymalan twist ending was THE VILLAGE. Most, like THE VISIT (which I read about; haven't seen the movie and don't want to), are just...there...or are flat out stupid.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

In my book THE VILLAGE wasn’t a twist. Like I’ve said, a twist should come organically, from within, not come out of nowhere as if Mr. Director suddenly decided he was making a different movie.

THE VILLAGE felt to me as if MNK suddenly remembered he was “known” for his “twist endings” and said okay, THIS! Internal logic be damned!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I agree with JB about THE VILLAGE. More of a surprise than twisting the plot.
As for THE SIXTH SENSE I didn't see it until months after the release, so hints about a big reveal were in the air and had me looking for it. Which brings me to a bugaboo I have with trailers that add "and you wont believe the surprise twist ending". Thanks now I'll be looking for it!

I was caught off guard by ;

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
FRAILTY (2001)
...and appreciated it.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The entire ad campaign surrounding THE USUAL SUSPECTS with its emphasis upon the question, "Who is Keyser Soze?" had me looking at the VHS case for a moment and then saying out loud, as I slipped the tape into the machine, "Okay, prove to me (actor's name here) isn't Keyser Soze." He was. 

If they hadn't made such a big deal out of it, I might have enjoyed that film more. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2018 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I agree with JB about THE VILLAGE. More of a surprise than twisting the plot.

-----

I don't think it was even much of a surprise. After the Elders made a big deal about having things locked away in their black boxes, I guessed the reveal.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

When I saw the sixth sense I remember thinking @ the time Bruce Willis was shot ‘How on earth did he survive that?’

But I didn’t know anything else about the film when I saw it. I thought it was over active make up until the revelation. & then I felt stupid.

So it worked for me because I had no other information. Since then thought, I’ve expected a twist in all his movies & been able to guess them early, sometimes before seeing the film - the village being the prime example of that.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Plot twists can be astounding revelations, but many movies rely on hacky "it's not what you think!" idiot moves that imitate (or flat out copy) much better films.

THE SIXTH SENSE's ending wasn't a revelation for people who were paying attention to that first part-- and less so as the movie goes on. Bruce Willis DOESN'T CHANGE HIS CLOTHES. He does not talk to anyone besides the kid; that bit with him sitting across from the mom was a nice red herring but still.

Now I'm wondering if Haley Joel Osment will have a blink and you miss it cameo in GLASS...

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version