Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Plot Twists Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I had heard that there was a huge plot twist in The Sixth Sense and so was waiting for it. The only thing was that it didn't come. Walking out the cinema I complained to Mrs Saxon about this and she was surprised. "But the fact that (redacted) was (redacted) was the twist!" The trouble was, having grown up on TV shows like Randall & Hopkirk Deceased and movies like Topper, I'd thought that particular plot development was blatantly obvious and the twist must be something else!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'd completely forgotten anything about Sixth Sense having a twist, or even the trailer (which is too revealing!), by the time I watched it, so it surprised me.

Good twists come from movies I'm not expecting to have twists. There's a teen romance movie I thought was very cliché until the whole thing turned out to be a different film after the twist.  Same thing with Everything Everything. My daughters liked it so I ended up watching it not expecting anything shocking.

But there should be clues. I remember being surprised by No Way Out, but don't recall the details if I should have seen that coming.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2018 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I remember being surprised by No Way Out, but don't recall the details if I should have seen that coming.

------

NO WAY OUT is my go-to example for a bad twist ending. It has no bearing on the plot and relies on a HUGE coincidence. It's just designed to be shocking for its own sake.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

NO WAY OUT's twist should have been either removed from the script or left on the cutting room floor (and later burned). It ruined the movie.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I love any story with a (good) twist. The biggest problem happens when I'm made aware that a twist exists at all - I'll watch the movie on high alert and invariably spot it early on. Fight Club caught me off guard, for example. (Then again, I'd gone out of my way to avoid that movie because it was marketed as blokes who beat each other up for fun!)

Thinking back to the 6th Sense - the twist was revealed to me a long time before I ever saw it... I was flicking through soundtrack albums in a record store and on the movie CD the final track is named 'Malcolm is Dead'

Real subtle.
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Haute Tension" aka "High Tension" is one of the biggest cheating movies with a big twist ever.  I am not being hyperbolic. 

Another movie that cheats is Brian DePalma's "Sisters."

A movie that does NOT cheat is "Psycho" which is interesting as in the book, "mother" was portrayed as an actual character who sat right next to Norman and talked to him and was very present.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Since the movies are already being talked about, I'll chime in. 

I saw the SIXTH SENSE on its opening weekend, so I went in with no notions of a twist. The trailer(s) just made it look like an interesting, creepy movie. And I have to say, never saw it coming. Figured he got shot, but not fatally. Not unprecented for a Bruce Willis character, even at that point. Of course, I watched it again as soon as I could...and felt kinda dumb for not spotting it. 

All I ever heard about FIGHT CLUB about watching it...years after it came out...was how good it was. It's dark, disturbing, sometimes hilarious, and again, I never saw it coming. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version