Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: HOLMES AND WATSON (2018) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh Dear...   Megamind and Wreck-it Ralph take on Arthur Conan Doyle...
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If I never see a Will Farrell movie, I'll not be too disappointed. I don't think I find him nearly as funny as he does, so he can have his string of hits, and I'll stick to whom I like.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Will Ferrell seems only to have two characters. One is George Bush and the other isn’t.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've enjoyed the two previous pairings of Ferrell and Reilly, and I'm not adverse to a Sherlock Holmes comedy (especially when it seems to be parodying the Robert Downey Jr. film versions), but my main issue is writer/director Etan Cohen... he wrote and directed Will Ferrell in GET HARD, a movie I couldn't even finish.

The trailers have fallen flat with me, and my gut tells me this will be a big holiday dud.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I tend to agree with Shaun. This SHOULD be really funny but the trailers are
scaring me.

John if you want to see a slightly different side of Will, try stranger than
fiction.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

...stranger than fiction...

•••

Saw it. Hoped it was a sign of Ferrell branching out. Apparently not.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I really liked WITHOUT A CLUE, which had great comedic turns from Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley.  They were able to find the right tone for someone like me who loves the original books and the Basil Rathbone films.

I;m not as optimistic about this one, and I really like Will Ferrell and JOhn C. Reilly.  I’m worried this can’t help but be mocking rather than a clever take.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The only Will Ferrell-led movie that I've liked is THE OTHER GUYS. I just don't get his appeal.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like the succinct take JB has on Ferrell. Nothing he's ever done has struck me as funny. As much as I enjoy the Lego Movie, I don't revisit it because I know there's that large dead zone at the end of the movie with Ferrell. 

Ferrell's "Land of the Lost" was apparently a pet project of his that he tried to get made for years. Why he fought to put it on the screen when so little of the original wound up being used is a mystery to me. Was he really just about the art direction of the kid's show and nothing else? There are visuals that are uncannily recreated, but everything else is standard-issue, dumb-as-a-post wa-wa-wacky comedy garbage. 

Giving up on the idea of Will and Holly as Rick Marshall's kids and instead making them classless twenty-something morons was a blunder, and everything that decision represented seems to have shaped the direction the film took from that point. Just a mind-boggling thumb-in-the-eye to anyone who approached the film with any knowledge of the original.*

Will Ferrell, like Jack Black, is another of those wafer-thin, one-note performers whose fans seem to erupt with geysers of praise anytime they vary one quarter inch out of their lane. I just had someone try to tell me Jack Black's character in "The Holiday" was an amazing departure from form for the actor. It wasn't. He did dial down the hate and malice that usually sloshes from him at every moment a camera turns his way, but that's not the same thing as delivering a different performance. It's more a lazy take on everything he did before, only now with valium.

Will Ferrell's "sad clown" attempts like "Everything Must Go" and "Stranger Than Fiction" are simply his usual self but sad. That's not a new performance. It's just that moment in the SNL cheerleader's sketch when he realizes the girl cheerleader played by Cheri Oteri isn't going to sleep with him, but holding the note for an hour and a half. Just more of the same delivered at a slower, deadened pace.

* Mind you, now that we've all seen him play a dad in The Lego Movie, being a parent isn't within his range, either.

Edited by Brian Hague on 17 December 2018 at 1:06am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 1:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And I am entirely over and done with gag takes on Conan Doyle at this point. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Will Ferrell, like Jack Black, is another of those wafer-thin, one-note performers whose fans seem to erupt with geysers of praise anytime they vary one quarter inch out of their lane. I just had someone try to tell me Jack Black's character in "The Holiday" was an amazing departure from form for the actor. It wasn't.

———

Jack Black’s teenage girl in JUMANJI is nothing like his other roles. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 2:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'll bet it's not.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'll admit Ferrell's shtick was funny early on, but like most one dimensional comedians the act gets old. It's probably why I've been unable to sit thru an Abbott & Costello movie in years.

There is one Ferrell movie I do revisit, SEMI-PRO.
And that's for the content and supporting cast!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Anyone who sees Jack Black as one note should check out CRADLE WILL ROCK, BERNIE and, yes, JUMANJI. To name but three.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

This Sherlock movie doesn't appeal to me, but I have liked Will Ferrell in other stuff. I thought his performance in ELF showed a lot of commitment and is enjoyable. ANCHORMAN is just goofy, stupid fun (did not care for its sequel, tho). 

Jack Black is in ANCHORMAN for about a minute, and is the loud, dirty, obnoxius guy. And he definitely has been in films that play to his strengths (or weaknesses, to some): HIGH FIDELITY, SAVING SILVERMAN, SCHOOL OF ROCK (he's actually quite good in this), and, of course, TENACIOUS D: THE PICK OF DESTINY. I've liked him in all of these. 

Then, there are "departure" roles, some that work great (JUMANJI), some, not so much (KING KONG).

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 18 December 2018 at 11:28am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Ferrell's movies are often fun but he hasn't shown what I'd consider much range. He's often playing the obtuse doofus who never quite gets what's going on around him.

Jack Black, as noted, is quite a bit more versatile. And he's willing (it seems) to try things that are outside his usual persona, which Ferrell does less often. I could see acting awards in Black's future, but not so much in Ferrell's.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

It would seem I’m in the minority here, but I frikking love ANCHORMAN. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Another point for Jack Black: THE HOLIDAY, where he plays a movie music composer who becomes Kate Winslet's best buddy. He's deft and subtle here.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Another point against Jack Black: THE HOLIDAY.

This was exactly the film my friend tried shoving down my throat to prove to me that Jack Black could be something less than odious.

He is no more deft or subtle here than he is at any other time. He is quieter. He has toned down the overt obnoxiousness by a hair. The film has written a different character for him to play and the director, editors, and everyone involved do their level best to make him as inoffensive as possible.

Kate Winslett acts her ass off trying to prove to us that she finds him winsome, wry, and charming. Kate Winslett can act, but this is beyond even her.

It is not so much that Black and Ferrell are one-note. They play different characters in different films. The premises of the characters differ enough that we are not simply seeing the same performance time and time again. That's true. What is also true is that they both scrabble from the same worn out bag of tricks time and time again. 

The eyebrow wagging. The "yeah, you're startin' to like me now, aren'tcha? C'mon. You are..." nodding of the head as he walks backwards. The music cues. Think back to the scene in video store, Andrew. Does he air guitar in that scene? I'm pretty sure he does. He at the very least air-pianos. It's the same bag of tricks every... damn... time.

Acting poses a constant stream of questions for the performers to answer. Black and Ferrell come up with the same responses they've given before far too often. I'm not going to ever see Jumanji, and it has Karen Gillan in it. It takes a lot to stand in the way of my seeing Karen Gillan in something, and my congratulations go out to Black. He's got whatever it takes in spades.

No, he doesn't always play a teenage girl in a man's body. Neither does Rob Schneider. But I'm pretty sure Black still does a good deal of eyebrow wagging and his "I'm mad at everybody in the room right now" faces as a teenage girl. The performances differ only insofar as the premises for them do. The answers he comes up, however, with are always the same.

He and Ferrell are tedious.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

ANCHORMAN is great. The sequel....not so much. 

But Will Ferrell was funnier on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE than he has been in most of his movies. 

Jack Black is a LOT better actor than Will Ferrell, though. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

(Why do I get the feeling Mr. Hague owns some Ferrell and Black films that he's just not admitting to?)  :)

Put me down as one who thinks ANCHORMAN is the best comedy of the '00s.

And Jack Black is excellent in SCHOOL OF ROCK (for my money, his signature film), and was quite good in the GOOSEBUMPS movies, and even better in THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 December 2018 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I think THE HOLIDAY is an excellent movie - certainly Nancy Meyers‘ best.  Great performances all around.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I don't much care for Will Ferrell's movies, but I did enjoy his work on SNL.

A little Jack Black goes a long, long way, but I'm a big fan of his Mexican wrestling movie NACHO LIBRE. Yeah, it has the usual cringe-worthy Jack Black moments but they're kept to a minimum and Sister Encarnacion is adorable.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I think this looks like utter dross, but I STILL feel compelled to see it. Damn you, Hollywood! And curse me for my complicity in your producing rubbish!

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Looking forward to the overdue Downey/Law installment but this Ferrell thing looks horrible. How many tacky sight gags can you squeeze into a trailer. Abysmal.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version