Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: HOLMES AND WATSON (2018) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can come up with a couple good ways to do Sherlock Holmes as comedy:

1) You play Holmes and Watson straight and write a clever mystery story, you just have the two of them dealing with a bunch of idiots and buffoons for the sake of comedy.

2) You have Holmes and Watson's cousins with the same last names be mistaken for them in their absence, and try to solve a real mystery even though they are both bumbling idiots.

This seems to have taken neither approach, and just made Holmes and Watson bumbling idiots for a series of low brow jokes and slapstick.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2018 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shaun Barry wrote: "(Why do I get the feeling Mr. Hague owns some Ferrell and Black films that he's just not admitting to?)"

I'm pretty sure the only items in my collection with Black in them are the episode of Community he did and Peter Jackson's KING KONG. I do think every now and them about picking up HIGH FIDELITY in which all the characters properly find Black to be a jerk. I haven't done so yet and am not likely to in the near future. 

I do however like the idea of keeping a shelf full of movies just to loathe and despise, so as to ramp up my wormwood, bitter vetch, and violent dislike of all humanity any time I feel like it. Good suggestion, Shaun. I may do that. :-)

I'll go ahead and add that overall I liked THE HOLIDAY just fine. One of the points in its favor is that Black isn't in most of  it. We were pretty deep into the film and still hadn't seen him yet when I turned to my friend and said, "You're right. This is some of his best work." Then he had to go and actually show up unfortunately, but for a while there I was enjoying a Jack Black movie.

Kate Winslett is adorable and her ability to convey excitement and joy just at being in a big room is effective. I mean, think of it. Kate Winslett had been in some big rooms prior to shooting those scenes. Just recently, in fact. And yet she manages to convey the sheer fun and amazement her character is experiencing in a very entertaining way. After seeing THE HOLIDAY, I'm pretty sure I'd watch a film that was absolutely nothing but Winslett running around everywhere being happy.

The same is pretty much true of Cameron Diaz, who I realized while watching this film is like Kristen Chenowith if she were stretched out to normal size and then taken just a bit further.

I might (mind you, I say 'might') even revisit THE HOLIDAY at some point... with my finger on the skip-scene and fast-forward buttons.

HOLMES AND WATSON? No. I don't think so. If I need a Sherlock Holmes comedy, I'll watch Gene Wilder. Or Robert Downey Jr.

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 December 2018 at 12:18am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Or Without A Clue!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Comedies based on dramatic source material (legends, books, comics, etc) all too often begin with the same basic premise: the originals got it wrong.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

@JB:

True, but I do like Without A Clue, and its winking awareness of the originals - "Holmes" claiming Watson's stories are dull and placing too much emphasis on detection, Watson as fed up with his creation as Doyle became.

The mystery that the pair become involved in isn't too bad, and Paul Freeman's Professor Moriarty is oddly one of the more convincing portrayals I've seen.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, if ever there was any doubt:

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You'd think it would have been easier to just make Step Brothers 2.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2019 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Soooo, I have a membership at a non-profit theater and got to see this for free and eat free popcorn at the same time. 

This movie deserves its 0% rating on RT.  I laughed out loud once, and it was a "newspaper headline" gag.  Most of the actual funny material in this movie was added in post. (Newspaper headlines, inserts, non-sequitur shots). 

I'm not a Will Ferrell fan by any means, but I've enjoyed a couple of his movies (Talledega Nights and Anchorman) in the past.  There is nothing about this movie worth paying to see.  Zero. 

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think this has officially gone from "so bad it might be good" to "no, it's actually just utterly terrible".

And to think Reilly and Coogan are both in Stan and Ollie, which seems to be getting pretty decent reviews!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version