Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: TV shows / films that scared the crap out of you as a kid Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There are several that come to mind. ALF weirded me out because he used to eat cats.

Terrahawks. That witch character was frightening.

The Incredible Hulk (live action) when he transformed into the hulk. Man, I couldn't stand it.

Return to OZ. What the hell were those Wheelers about? Freaky.

Watership Down. To this day I have not seen the whole of that film. Those rabbits getting murdered. It should have had a warning that it wasn't for kids. Terrifying!

Super Ted (yes, I know). Something about an alien being coming down and turning an ordinary Teddy Bear into a superhero freaked me out a bit.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE MAN WHO SAW TOMORROW (1981). I believe this film was released theatrically, but I saw if first when it was on TV. Orson Welles narrates the story of Nostradamus and his "predictions." I no longer believe that nonsense, but as a kid it put the fright in me.

THE DAY AFTER (1983). In my pre-teen to early teen years, the thought of nuclear destruction started to get to me. This is in no small part due to that Nostradamus movie.

I can't think of a great number of TV shows that frightened me as a kid, though. There are a few more films (theatrical), not counting outright horror films, that unnerved me, though.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sapphire and Steel. It was meant to scare. And it did. I remember one with dead animals coming out of the walls... Creepy, unsettling and weird.

There was an anthology show called Dramarama that went on a spell of doing tales under the banner of 'Spooky'. There were some terrifying ghost tales in that.

There was a children's show called Bagpuss that was supposed to be charming, benign stuff, but it began with black and white Victorian photos and something of that aspect gave me the creeps.

When the Wind Blows. An animated adaptation of a storybook by Raymond Briggs that tells of an elderly couple and the effects of nuclear fallout. It was both sad and unnerving.

There was a BBC miniseries drama called Maelstrom that I don't remember much about beyond that it was dizzyingly scary to me.

I also recall an episode of the BBC's Miss Marple series (with Joan Hickson) that scared the crap out of me. It was an adaptation of A Pocket Full of Rye and had Peter Davison in it as a guest star.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

After watching Ultra-Man daily at 4 and 5 years old with no issues, somehow Godzilla movies freaked me out at age 7. I had probably SEEN the Godzilla suit on the Ultra-Man show! 

Perhaps it was the number of monsters on screen at once...as they were generally presented one at a time on the TV series. 

I was also a King Kong fan literally as far back as I can remember, and never became afraid of his movies (...until 2005. Ha!).

It may have been Kong that got me to suck it up and sit thru a whole Godzilla movie. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 11 December 2018 at 11:31am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Star Trek, "Dweller in the Dark." Scared the living crap out of me the first time (and second time) I saw. If I recall correctly, I literally watched it the first time through my fingers. That horta terrified me.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Singing Ringing Tree, it was a European fairy tale
type show, it had a scary dwarf, bear and fish, what
made it even more scary was that it was narrated in
English, but you could still hear the original language
on the soundtrack which made it very creepy!

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

While not a kid, the post-apocalyptic movies "The Day After" (mentioned above) and the BBC movie "Threads"  scared the crap out of me.  Especially "Threads".

Houston Mitchell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Sleestak from "Land of the Lost" terrified me as a child. It didn't stop me from watching though.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Star Trek, "Dweller in the Dark." Scared the living crap out of me the first time (and second time) I saw. If I recall correctly, I literally watched it the first time through my fingers. That horta terrified me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Me, too. 

Also, DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (1973). That movie scared the bejeezus out of me. Saw it on tv when I was around 7 or 8, so that would have been 1978 or 1979. I've only watched it once or twice since, and the last time was well over a decade ago. Have not seen the 2010 remake.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh so many;

SALEM'S LOT- I was 14, so if that's too old strike that.
That little warrior doll from TRILOGY OF TERROR. Haven't watched it since the mid '70's, nor will I.
Balok's puppet from STAR TREK. Why did it have to be on so many of the episodes credits? WHY!?
From LOST IN SPACE, there were these silver, firehose like arms, that came off a larger machine and would float around behind then grab you.
Of course those creepy Zanti's from THE OUTER LIMITS. Large ants with human like faces, creeeepy.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Doug, that doll from Trilogy of Terror is terrifying! Iíve not seen the episode but I looked it up. Yikes!

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When the Wind Blows. Truly sad and haunting.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version