Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB - Random covers from the 80s Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I suspect GI JOE is one of those properties that, if you were the right age when it sunk its hooks in, you love it - and if you weren't, then you just  don't.

Basically, for 80s kids of a certain age, GI JOE was STAR TREK.
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As a 70's kid, the few GI Joes I had were the 12 inch ones with the fuzzy hair that were basically Barbies for boys. They weren't nearly as popular as the smaller figures of the 80's. I was a bit too old to get into the GI Joes and Transformers craze of the 80's, though I did watch the cartoons and bought a few of the Transformers comics. My younger brother was huge into GI Joe and Transformers though and had many of the toys. I would say my GI Joe was Marvel comics, in particular Spider-Man, and the Mego superhero figures of that era. I wore out several Mego Spider-Man figures. And my Star Trek was Star Trek as the show was in syndication and came on the local NBC station on Saturdays after the cartoons. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 14 December 2018 at 8:19pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Your Star Trek was Star Trek? Controversial :)

I was fond of the UK equivalent of GI Joe (Action Man and Action Force, according to whether we are talking about the fuzzied haired big dolls or the small action figure, respectively), but Marvel superheroes gave me a buzz like nothing else.

Beyond JB's ability to capture the definitive look of a character, I also deeply appreciate his knack for conveying a narrative in a single image. His super power! That Web of Spider-Man cover isn't my favourite, but the way it tells in one single image a story is impressive.

Scott Good
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Anybody read The Whipping Boy by JB

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I was curious about that Machine Man cover. I saw how Byrne inking Ditko was good, so it's nice that we got a chance to see the other combination... I think the coloring could've been a lot more interesting on that one though.

As someone did post a '70s cover I guess I can post one of my faves even if it's not quite '80s... and I do like the color on this one! Spider-Man goes to Canada, so seems appropriate, though could be considered more a Marvel Tales annual being all reprints. Worth having for the cover alone!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 14 December 2018 at 11:29pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Anybody read The Whipping Boy by JB

+++++

No, but I definitely want to, just have never come across a copy. I did however read Fear Book when it came out and remember liking it quite a bit. 

And Peter, I guess we'd be talking about Action Man if we're talking the 12 inch fuzzy haired figures that we had in the States as GI Joe. I only had a few, but liked how you could get different outfits and vehicles and playsets for them were quite fun and large. I seem to recall a viewmaster reel I had with the large GI Joes that involved dinosaurs. Or maybe my memory is combining two different reels, which is entirely possible.  

By the way, love that double page Incredible Hulk and Wolverine cover, Bert. I've been scouring the comic book database for Byrne stuff I may have missed over the years.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jack Abel was an odd choice to ink that Hulk cover. His line was very thin, and that piece really cried out for a heavy rendering.

(I wonder who decided the readers were so dumb they needed a little Paul Smith Wolverine head to tell them who the character was. Big honkin' WOLVERINE in the logo not enough, I guess.)

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Great layout for the wrap around cover. Stand alone action for the front, but a balanced full shot. 

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Maybe this should be a separate thread - but is there a major moment in Marvel history (say, from inception to the late 80s/early 90s) that JB hasn't drawn in a published drawing? Either as the original artist, in a flashback, or as a cover? The only thing I can think of is anything related to the Infinity Gauntlet.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version