Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: They WERE cousins... IDENTICAL cousins!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I know this is decades late, but it CONTINUES to bother me.  I love, love, love the ROMULANS as villains in the Star Trek universe!  However, I felt more than little bothered when Next Generation introduced them with the V-ridges on their foreheads.  

I always felt that part of the "magic" of the Romulans was that they were virtually (physically) identical to their Vulcan cousins.  This new "look" in Next Generation seemed to completely blow that dynamic out of the water.

Has anyone ever read anything that "explains" the change in appearance?

Marc

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Spock was able to wander Romulus in "Unification Part II" without drawing lots of attention. I'd suggest that the ridges were just some inheritable feature that not all Romulans had.

My bigger issue with TNG is how they gave all the Vulcan and Romulan females androgynous bowl cuts.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael,

On the androgynous bowl cuts - I totally agree!!!  From what we knew of Vulcan and Romulan hairstyles from Star Trek the original series, the bowl cuts were something preferred mainly by Vulcan males.

Marc

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Romulans really got raked over the coals, post-TOS. Everybody seemed to forget who they were. Those stupid brow ridges were but a single manifestation.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A bowl cut is very logical. Easy to apply, not in the way, and creating no distraction that a female (well, or male) cut might engender.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric,

I think that is taking "logical" to a bit of an absurd extreme, even for Vulcans, and remember Romulans tend to eschew logic!

As for a more practical and valid reason for not ascribing bowl cuts to ALL Vulcans and Romulans, male AND female... is that was NOT the precedent set way back in Star Trek TOS (and in the films).

Marc

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The ubiquity of the bowl cuts made it look as if TNG producers spent money on a dozen or so cheap-looking but nevertheless expensive polyester wigs and by god, they were going to use them, endlessly, in constant rotation. 

The bumpy forehead aesthetic was tiresome beyond measure on the all of the spin-offs, TNG especially, but the wigs were often even more appalling. 

In the case of the Vulcans and Romulans, it was almost as if the costume and make-up people hated the idea of having to conform to someone else's design, and simply threw together whatever and let it go at that. Dr. Selar's appearance should have been an embarrassment to everyone involved. Most fan costumes looked better.

The oh-so-Eighties-so-why-are-we-still-wearing-them-in-the-Ninet ies Romulan outfits didn't help, either. Padded shoulders meets Disco. It was as if the Romulans were invading from Planet Dynasty.

TNG and the spin-offs were utterly and completely tone-deaf on the topic of Vulcans and Romulans. It was as if they simply did not understand anything about them and resented the notion they were forced to deal with them at all. Given what we got, I'd have been happier if they'd simply left them alone entirely.*

* T'Pol not withstanding. I don't know who put a gun to the wig guy's head and told him to leave her out of one, but that person is the only reason, the sole and solitary reason Enterprise made it past its premiere.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It doesn't help that someone swapped the ideals and temperment of the Romulans and the Klingons either.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Rob, I think it's giving the TNG staff too much credit to assume they understood either well enough to switch them. I believe they just got both cultures wrong and it's a happy accident the errors reflect the originals in any way.

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the 1970s (David Gerrold's WORLD OF STAR TREK, maybe?) that a few potential TOS guest Vulcans/Romulans resisted shaving their eyebrows for only a day or two's days work. Harder to book the next gig with half an eyebrow, was the thinking. . .

So I assumed the Romulan brow appliances in TNG were related to that. I've never seen it stated explicitly that this was the reason, but it made sense to me.

Edited by Tony Tower on 12 December 2018 at 1:36pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version