Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Brightburn - James Gunn’s take on Superman’s origin Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rotten Tomatoes sez “Although Brightburn doesn't fully deliver on the pitch-black promise of its setup, it's still enough to offer a diverting subversion of the superhero genre.”

So, a perfect movie for the Trump error—sorry, era, then.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just got back from seeing it.

It has several scenes of what I would call grotesque violence, the sort of thing
I would picture in a SAW movie.
That being said, it's well made with some good performances and some
genuinely suspenseful moments.
If seeing an alternate universe evil superman is something you're interested in,
see it. If not, stay away.

The violence was too much for me though.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So why do all these brilliant innovators START by breaking the characters?

JB, I'm convinced most of these 'innovators' (and their audience) desire these heroic characters to be broken... guess it makes them more relatable to them. A lot of people I speak to don't buy the idea of a noble, righteous character like Superman... they believe Donner's Superman is dated and MAN OF STEEL was a better take on the character. Now, Brightburn may determine how Superman is treated in future treatments.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I’m reminded once again of Roger Stern saying of one writer that he was a poor fit for superheroes, because he could not believe anyone could be more noble than he was—which was not very.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, I'm convinced most of these 'innovators' (and their audience) desire these heroic characters to be broken... guess it makes them more relatable to them. A lot of people I speak to don't buy the idea of a noble, righteous character like Superman... they believe Donner's Superman is dated and MAN OF STEEL was a better take on the character. Now, Brightburn may determine how Superman is treated in future treatments.

-C!

Charles, based on how poorly dis movie is doing at the box office and he poor to mixed reviews from the audience, I don't think that this movie will have any influence on how Superman will be treated in future treatments. I truly believe that most of the mainstream non comic book reading audience have no interest in deconstructed evil superheroes. Hell, they are barely accepting of R rated superhero TV series and movies (which are either hit or miss in regards to their success). With the exception of selfish jaded adult "fans", most people don't like superhero films and TV series (with a few exceptions) that are either R rated, "grim and gritty","realistic",and/or are deconstructions of the genre.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rick Whiting wrote:
Charles, based on how poorly dis movie is doing at the box office and he poor to mixed reviews from the audience, I don't think that this movie will have any influence on how Superman will be treated in future treatments.

A $9.5 mil 4-day opening against a $6 mil budget isn't "doing poorly".  It's a micro budgeted film and, as such, it's doing just fine.  This film was never going to do ENDGAME numbers let alone even SHAZAM! numbers.  It's an indie film from Sony Screen Gems. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A $9.5 mil 4-day opening against a $6 mil budget isn't "doing poorly". It's a micro budgeted film and, as such, it's doing just fine. This film was never going to do ENDGAME numbers let alone even SHAZAM! numbers. It's an indie film from Sony Screen Gems.

Granted, but is it doing well enough to facilitate a change in how future versions of Superman are depicted? Will Hollywood see this as a huge success that should be imutated by future superhero films?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Read a review in which the author claimed not to remember Ma Kent’s first name. I guess he missed BATMAN vs SUPERMAN.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I wouldn't say he "missed" it, ha ha. 

When I was dragged to see Justice League, every time they mentioned "Mother Boxes" my friend quietly mumbled "Martha boxes" which was more entertaining than the movie.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2019 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
Granted, but is it doing well enough to facilitate a change in how future versions of Superman are depicted? Will Hollywood see this as a huge success that should be imutated by future superhero films?

Rick, did you type that on purpose, or was it just an appropriate accident?

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 05 June 2019 at 7:20am
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version