Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 42 Next >>
Topic: Avengers: Endgame ~ SPOILERS start Pg 7 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And for those that say women should be fighting back without making men look stupid. I ask why? Because thatís what men have been doing to women since the year dot.

Hurts doesnít it? Suck it up, women have thousands of years of this on you.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And for those that say women should be fighting back without making men look stupid. I ask why?

Two wrongs don't make a right?  IMO, it's insulting to women to reduce their approach to the same as men's.  Turning the tables is questionable and  I'm not sure that putting men in the place of women will lead to equality.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There was nothing false in my statement, Andy, and yours is still wrong. The phrase "MeToo" may have been coined in 2006, but it was not a movement at that time. It only became one in 2017

The MeToo movement has been around since 2006 and was, according to their own website, a movement within 6 months of being established.  There's no arguing that the Weinstein situation fueled the movement but to claim that it didn't exist until 2017 isn't reality.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'd agree with Brian that CAPTAIN MARVEL has a feminist subtext. I'd also state that your opinion is baseless. The two stances are not mutually exclusive.

My opinion that there is a feminist subtext is baseless yet you agree that there is a feminist subtext?  

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Where exactly is this anti-male, political feminism supposed to be coming from?

Brie Larson confirmed Marvel approached her to make Captain Marvel a ďbig feminist movie.Ē

Edited by Andy Mokler on 11 May 2019 at 3:16pm

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Circular argument.

Again, it all comes down to you thinking feminism is "bad."

I repeat, it's not. 

Feminism isn't anti-male and if you feel threatened or bothered by it, it's your problem.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Feminism isn't anti-male and if you feel threatened or bothered by it, it's your problem.

The problem is you choosing to ignore what I'm saying, misrepresenting, and assuming things that aren't true.

You have repeatedly accused me of thinking feminism is bad and that simply isn't true.

You keep suggesting that I'm threatened by equality and that isn't true.

How Disney(among others) is choosing to illustrate and represent feminism and that they are using their movies to do it is what I have a problem with.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My opinion that there is a feminist subtext is baseless yet you agree that there is a feminist subtext?   

óó-

No, your opinion that it is politicizing and alienating and emasculating of men is baseless. Or do you not understand what subtext means? Feminism has been rooted in Carolís character from the time she was named /Ms./ Marvel, and no one would deny that. Feminism is rooted in Wonder Woman as well. CAPTAIN MARVEL doesnít shy away from the idea that some of the obstacles she faced in her life are based on her gender, but as I stated upthread, there is nowhere where Carol ever identifies or blames sexism or misogyny or even men as an issue in her life. Itís a general underdog message typical of superhero origins. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Where exactly is this anti-male, political feminism supposed to be coming from?  

Brie Larson confirmed Marvel approached her to make Captain Marvel a ďbig feminist movie.Ē 
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/12/brie-larson-confir ms-marvel-wants-to-make-captain-marvel-a-big-feminist-movie/

óó

If you donít want people thinking you are ComicsGater, donít use a ComicsGate source for your arguments.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No, your opinion that it is politicizing and alienating and emasculating of men is baseless.

Well, it is political, it has alienated plenty of men and it has emasculated many of the male characters so I don't agree with you at all.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If you donít want people thinking you are ComicsGater, donít use a ComicsGate source for your arguments.

I've never been on ComicsGate so I wouldn't know.  Are you questioning the quote by Larsen?  Think it's fake?  Otherwise, who cares if that site has used this one before?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

MeToo got underway in 2006, but to call it a "movement" as their website does, is somewhat kind. It did not garner much attention until it exploded across Twitter in 2017. That is when it became a political and media force. Your argument is now that major film studios courted the favor of a small, grassroots-level awareness campaign, knowing somehow, what? That years later, it would become a major phenomenon? So... they began their job of "belittling and emasculating men" well in advance of that, because... reasons?

Of course they did, Andy. Of course they did. Now you just drink your cocoa, lie down, and we'll all make certain the big, scary lady-persons don't come and unman you in the night. Sweet dreams now.

<< Prev Page of 42 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version