Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 42 Next >>
Topic: Avengers: Endgame ~ SPOILERS start Pg 7 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think part of it was I didn't expect the five years later aspect to remain. That seems like a very weird aspect to keep. Especially when it relates to Peter Parker and his circle of friends/acquaintances. 

——

Given Kevin Feige’s desire to keep Peter in high school, pushing his graduation date six to seven years from now seems like the exact move to make. 
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Terrific superhero film - action, humor, pathos. Now that that's done - I hope the Marvel universe isn't one big team movie anymore. I'd like to see more character development with individual hero films. Perhaps a guest but not too many. 

Sad but still "uplifting" end for a few characters. I know we're in the spoiler zone but still don't want to say anything until I know everyone has had a chance.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

For the past year, I've been deliberately misquoting Thor's line "Bring me Thanos!" from INFINITY WAR as "Bring me tacos!" to get my kids to laugh. Seems I might have been on to something there...

Edited by Byron Graham on 27 April 2019 at 7:11pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Overall, solid "last film (but not really)" with some genuine thrilling moments along the way. Sorry to see certain characters go, but with contracts ending I wouldn't be seeing them again anyway, so I guess their stories might as well get an ending.

I went in wondering how the movie could take 3 hours, which was magnified when they did the whole "search for Thanos" in the first 20 minutes, but it all makes sense now. Good way to tie everything in together, overall. Also appreciated was seeing some of the "missing" characters from Infinity War make an appearance (the MIA characters from Ragnarok, mainly).

It seemed like the main point was to give the original six an ending, which it certainly did (I think Widow got a bit of a bum deal, but it fits, IMO), but I do worry a little bit about the secondary characters who didn't really get a wrap up and don't have an obvious "home" for further developments (Falcon. Scarlet Witch, Bucky and War Machine). We'll see, I guess.

The ending opted for emotional satisfaction over internal logic, which I'm going back and forth on. By the rules of the movie before the climax, the final snap should've sent Thanos and company back to when they came from rather than dissolving all of them, but dusted Thanos was a lot more fulfilling. (Although what all that means for Gamora is unclear. Obviously Quill has a theory, but is he right?)

Kind of wish they could have squeezed in a montage of Cap returning the stones, just to see his reaction when he saw the Red Skull. (Would've been easy enough - make the countdown 10 seconds instead of five and after each time the Hulk counts you get a clip of him returning the stone, then the last few seconds and nothing.)

Cap's "final fate" was certainly sweet but also one it's best not to spend too much time thinking about - Captain America dedicating his life to sitting on the sidelines doesn't quite fit and how'd the shield get repaired?

Thor ending up with the Guardians surprised me. Hopefully he has time to do some sit-ups before Vol. 3 comes out.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
By the rules of the movie before the climax, the final snap should've sent Thanos and company back to when they came from rather than dissolving all of them, but dusted Thanos was a lot more fulfilling.

What do you mean? Why would have the snap sent Thanos back to his time? The snap would have done what Tony wanted it to do, which was kill Thanos and co. It seemed to me that Tony pulled the same move that Thanos did, except solely directed at Thanos and his army instead of half the universe. 

QUOTE:
Cap's "final fate" was certainly sweet but also one it's best not to spend too much time thinking about - Captain America dedicating his life to sitting on the sidelines doesn't quite fit and how'd the shield get repaired?

The intact shield could also indicate that Cap didn’t sit on the sidelines and instead lived as Cap in an alternate past.  

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sorry to see certain characters go, but with contracts ending I wouldn't be seeing them again anyway, so I guess their stories might as well get an ending.

I think that was/is the main reason why the filmmakers killed Tony off and had Cap retire. They seem to be under the twisted misconception that these characters can't continue and be portrayed by other actors. I don't like that kind of narrow minded thinking.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As with Thor: Ragnarok, I can't believe so many people actually liked this movie.  Many of these points may have already been touched upon, but...

Didn't like what they did with the Hulk; did he do anything Hulk-ish the entire movie?  His big contribution to the story was to debate with the Ancient One as Banner.  He did throw a bench, I guess.

Didn't like the gravitas of Thor being sucked away by being reduced to comic relief.  Again.

Captain Marvel was built up as being pivotal to the conclusion...  then written out of the story almost entirely, only returning at the end for a cheap dramatic moment.

Cap grabbing the hammer was a big, thrilling moment... that amounted to nothing.  Should've been a turning point in the fight, instead he just got his butt kicked some more.

The time travel story was a big, rambling, incoherent mess.  And the plot of visiting-all-our-past-movies didn't do much for me.

No one at the military base guards the Tesseract, Tony can just walk in and grab it?  And his dad isn't suspicious of a stranger hanging out in that area?

The snap still happened, right?  Everyone was just brought back five years later, and the stones were then returned to the past?  So the stones still got destroyed by Thanos?  Didn't the Ancient One say that losing the time stone would kind of doom the universe or something?

We never saw the reaction of the world at large to the disappearances or the return (Cap's support group barely counts).

And yeah, Peter's buddy either failed five grades or the entire cast of Far From Home just happened to be included in the original snap.  Too much of a stretch.

They write a story with the Avengers splitting up to visit the hiding places of the stones, and Cap doesn't meet the Red Skull?  Big missed opportunity.

I honestly couldn't believe they capped off such an excellent run of movies with this mess.

edit: and another thing...  epic cgi battle scenes have grown boring and unimaginative.

Edited by Craig Bogart on 27 April 2019 at 8:47pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As with Thor: Ragnarok, I can't believe so many people actually liked this movie. Many of these points may have already been touched upon, but...

Craig, while I didn't think this movie was terrible, I found the movie to be underwhelming/disappointing. I also agree with you about some of the problems with this film and I also can't believe how much love this movie is getting from people. I only know of a few other people who didn't think that this movie was all that great.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I really didn't like this mess of a movie.  

Edited by John Harrison on 27 April 2019 at 9:23pm

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thought it sucked.  Seriously.  It wasn't fun, it wasn't epic, it didn't make sense, it was just poorly written and a real downer.

Yes, there were a thousand characters on the screen at one point but there wasn't anything epic about it.

Just a big nostalgic circle-jerk that pretty much ruined the phase for me.

Iron Man and Black Widow.  Pointless.

Thor - self-pitying, alcoholic, quitter who has no business lifting his own hammer at this point.

Hulk - he becomes smart Hulk off-screen between movies?!?  We don't even get to see that journey?  Just awful writing.

Hawkeye - decides to go on a murderous rampage and suffers no consequences.  Doesn't even give it a second thought, much less seem conflicted or regretful.  But, he's rewarded at the end.

Captain America - talk about a selfish, time stream destroying paradox.

This movie should have went out with an action-packed, fun, celebratory high note and it was the exact opposite.  Really a crushing disappointment. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
The snap still happened, right?  Everyone was just brought back five years later, and the stones were then returned to the past?  So the stones still got destroyed by Thanos?  Didn't the Ancient One say that losing the time stone would kind of doom the universe or something?

The removal of the Time Stone would doom /her/ reality. The Avengers were fulfilling a moral obligation in returning the stones to not fuck over the alternate realities they created by taking the stones from the past (which is something they had not considered until Hulk has his chat with the Ancient One). Technically they could have just kept them, and there would be no impact to their universe. 

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think that a large degree of praise for the film is fueled by nostalgia. Without that the movie may have not been so well recieved.  It will be interesting to see if the praise holds up in a couple of years.

Overall, I don't think that it is a bad movie. It just suffers a bit too much trying to satisfy the 'fans' at the expense of story.  Also way too many 'I'm ready for my closeup Mr. Demille' moments during the large battle until the end of the film. Seemed way too forced at times- sort of like those awkward large pages some artists insert into comics whose sole purpose is to sell for a hefty price on the aftermarket. I guess talent needs face time but it got ridiculous by the end.

The big battle didn't engage me much either but, to be fair, it was far better than the  'heroes have to stop large votex' battles at the end of so many of these types of films.

One thing I would have LOVED to have seen: the heroes in their proper comics uniforms at some point in the film. Hell, the fans would have ate that up if that's what the filmmakers were going for. I really dislike most of the heroes uniforms in these films- they just don't look like superheroes. Unfortunately its a lost cause at this point.

I give it a B- or so. Its better than most superhero films but the one before this one was much better. Almost gave it a C+ but the special affects (are they still called that?) were pretty good- it only looks like a video game at times during the big battle.

Edited by Roberto Melendrez on 27 April 2019 at 10:58pm

<< Prev Page of 42 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version