Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I keep looking for some kind of nod to the Fatu-Krey's from GALAXY QUEST, when I see the Krill. I bet MacFarlane's a fan. If I see an eye patch on one of the Krill, I'll know for sure!
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE ORVILLE almost feels like what might happen a few years after the events of GALAXY QUEST, if Jason Nesmith and the gang had stuck with the Thermians, and basically started living their TV roles for real.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I WAS RIGHT!!!!

😊

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, once I seen she had played a Krill before, I figured that's what you meant. 

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Love this show!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Good one!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Favorite episode so far this season .

Bortus quote of the day: "He will fail."

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Y’know, I can tell I really like this show—I feel a little sad when each episode ends.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Seems like the non-MacFarlane writers have really upped their game this season.

Is there a term for when an actor gives a little foreshadowing nod that they are not what they appear do be? Because there was absolutely none of that before the reveal. Which was probably just as well - given how people were already discussing the

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
actress' dual roles
, the slightest hint would have tipped them off.

Glad to see seeds of Season 1 showing up, here. I had felt that several threads needed to be followed up on, and at least 2 of them were, so far. "Cupid's Dagger" was my least favorite episode of the series, but now I'm starting to think that there will be further repercussions from how that episode was resolved.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 17 January 2019 at 9:45pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If you were looking for hints (like I was) not knowing any songs or movies may have been one. But that can be explained away by being 400 years old. 
A bigger hint was the Krill going out of his way to exclaim the level of pain they could withstand while torturing Janel. 

Vinny there's no need to hide any thoughts, the episodes are open for conversation. I would hope anyone popping in knows that. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I figured out the twist fairly early on (when she didn’t seem familiar with human music), but it was still very satisfying to see it play out. 

MacFarlane continues to show that he has solid dramatic chops, and can bring a real vulnerability to Mercer, at times.

Initially, I was a bit confused by the clear homage to John Williams’ truck chase music from RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK during the battle aboard the Krill ship, but the Belloq joke later on cleared things up.

Lots of fun to see Gordon doing his version of the corbomite maneuver, too. I don’t think healthy eating would have swayed Balok...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Vinny there's no need to hide any thoughts, the episodes are open for conversation. I would hope anyone popping in knows that.

•••

Don’t forget time zones, Doug. When we in the East have seen the show, the Middle and the West are still waiting.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It occurred to me last night that MacFarlane seems to be taking pages from Stan Lee's playbook - taking an already established concept but adding a spin of characters with feet of clay. The Orville crew is loaded with insecurities and it's making for interesting stories that (boldly?) go where TREK could not.

I had some gripes about the way Ed was being handled (being way too lenient on Bortus after "Primal Urges",  even letting Telaya go at the end of this episode) - but thinking about it more I'm starting to accept that Ed is just a man that leads with his heart, which can at times be a serious flaw for a leader and is bound to cause further issues down the road. But accepting that these characters can and will make mistakes just makes me even more along for the ride. I'm just glad to see that the writers are actually thinking this through.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

That Ed still seemed drawn to Telaya even after she was revealed ties back to something I thought I sensed in her first appearance last season. It’s interesting to contemplate how much is worked out in advance.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"When we in the East have seen the show, the Middle and the West are still waiting."

Ahh, right. I keep forgetting EST isn't the center of the universe :-)
Sorry Vinny!

" It’s interesting to contemplate how much is worked out in advance."

On that note and what Vinny has pointed out, I wonder if they're playing towards a court marshal episode in the future?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I had some gripes about the way Ed was being handled (being way too lenient on Bortus after "Primal Urges",  even letting Telaya go at the end of this episode) - but thinking about it more I'm starting to accept that Ed is just a man that leads with his heart, which can at times be a serious flaw for a leader and is bound to cause further issues down the road. But accepting that these characters can and will make mistakes just makes me even more along for the ride. I'm just glad to see that the writers are actually thinking this through.
+++++++++

That seems to tie in nicely with Telaya’s little psychoanalysis of Ed, though—he’s always trying to help others around him deal with their flaws and problems, yet he can’t quite deal with his own. This particular episode points out how leading with his heart can be costly for him. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

" I wonder if they're playing towards a court marshal episode in the future?"

--

That WOULD be an interesting way to tie together all of these threads. Guess we'll see!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

This was my delight every week last year, and it is again this year. So many chances to go silly that it misses on every level, and yet a nice veneer of fun when appropriate.

Captain Mercer was so Kirk-like in this episode (not exactly, mind you) that I half expected the Enterprise to find them on that refuge planet. It leaves a very pleasant taste in the mouth.

And comparisons aside, it seems as if they have a very excellent grasp of making a solid and usually excellent science fiction TV show about a space ship and its crew.

To me at least, if one listens very faintly, one can hear echoes of "Wagon Train" every now and again. We just enjoy the heck out of this show!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

This was definitely one of my favorite episodes. MacFarlane is underrated as a dramatic actor, and this episode definitely shows it.

Sadly, I won't be surprised if Captain Mercer's gesture of goodwill by letting her go only affects Telaya and not the rest of the Krill. They might see it as a further sign of human stupidity and weakness.

Also, if they haven't already, will the Union ever start modifying their ships to generate UV light on board, in case of Krill incursions? 

Jennifer Szohr is supposed to be joining the show, possibly as Halston Sage's replacement (hope her character isn't a Xelayan). I wonder how many episodes we have to wait for her to show up.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'm about to go back and watch last season's Krill episode, but I just caught the end of this season's premiere again. At the end, Ed is at the bar and says "You know what would be great right now? A Krill invasion". Seconds later - in walks "Janelle".

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Jennifer Szohr is supposed to be joining the show, possibly as Halston Sage's replacement (hope her character isn't a Xelayan). I wonder how many episodes we have to wait for her to show up.

Kelly told Bortus that a new security chief had been assigned and that "She'll be here next week" so unless they have a very busy few days I'm guessing we might see her in the next episode.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2019 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

What a fantastic episode. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2019 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Awesome catch, Vinny. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2019 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I want to see a JB-drawn Krill. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2019 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

QUOTE:
I want to see a JB-drawn Krill.

I'd like to see a JB-drawn ORVILLE ADVENTURES comic!

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version