Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: December 31 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Following another Star Trek tradition of actors in multiple roles, the new dark matter cartographer is played by Michaela McManus, who also played the Krill schoolteacher last season.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 01 2019 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Biggest laugh for me in the episode was when Malloy circled the cartographer's table and decided he couldn't muster the courage to talk to her... Oh yeah, and Ed drifting by in the shuttle past Kelly's window.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: January 01 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watched it again. Still sounds like “f**k”.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 01 2019 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Overall I liked the episode, though I'm a bit annoyed that MacFarlane dipped into the Ed/Kelly well again so quickly. I thought that he tied a bow around the subject pretty neatly in "Mad Idolatry", which is the previously-aired episode. I get that some time has passed between seasons*, but still - Kelly even brought up points which were explored rather well in the previous episode.

I'm surprised that they opened the season with a "bottle episode". I don't mind it, but that's probably not the best way to attract new viewers, especially right after airing a Sunday Night Football game.

It wasn't until Greg mentioned that Jason Alexander was the bartender and I watched it again when I put it together. It went right passed be even seeing in the opening credits that he was in the episode. I'm liking the use of stealth cameos, so far.

Kudos to MacFarlane for subverting my expectations and showing restraint in Bortus' ritual. I was fully expecting a Family Guy-esque 5-minute sequence of Bortus urinating.

*I've read that this Thursday's episode is the holdover from Season 1.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on January 01 2019 at 1:43pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 01 2019 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm surprised that they opened the season with a "bottle episode". I don't mind it, but that's probably not the best way to attract new viewers, especially right after airing a Sunday Night Football game. 

———

I read that given the long hiatus, MacFarlane wanted to highlight the crew with a set of character pieces to reintroduce them to the audience.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 01 2019 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZspRRB6o_NU
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 02 2019 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I hadn't been a regular viewer of the show but liked this season premiere quite well. Figure I'll watch the next few and see if it becomes a habit.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: January 03 2019 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

••

Interesting to contrast with STAR TREK TOS. The first episode filmed, tho not broadcast, was "The Corbomite Maneuver", which was very much a "bottle episode"--and which got shunted down the broadcast order in favor of a more "monster of the week" style outing.

Also interesting to compare the story structure. ORVILLE has what I think of as a sitcom structure, with multiple storylines wrapping around each other, sometimes converging, sometimes not. STAR TREK, like most of the dramas of the time, told one story, start to finish, per episode. And, of course, in those days there were no "arks".

(Speaking of which--well, I was about to offer a bit of speculation on the new cartographer, but that would be breaking my own rules!)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 03 2019 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's much more TNG-ish in structure: Some episodes are focused on one specific character, while most of the rest bounce back and forth between several characters' stories.

And nearly every episode's opening teaser momentarily tricks my brain into thinking it's TNG, what with the specific musical style and the fade to black before the main title sequence begins.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: January 03 2019 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes—it makes me think what TNG might have been.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 03 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I thought the first episode of season two was a good reintroduction to the characters, or introduction for some folks hopefully as the more the merrier if we want to avoid cancellation. Laughed out loud at a few of the jokes. Not sure how I feel about the new cast members yet. I feel like the captain and Alara would have good chemistry if they were to start dating. Another new episode tonight which is really great considering how long we had to wait to get a new episode and now we are getting another one just four days later!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: January 03 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes and yes, Greg.

BTW, Lt.Tyler played a Krill in a season 1 episode. "Re-purposing" talent in true TOS fashion.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version