Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: February 22 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seth MacFarlane is also a professional pianist and singer, has several albums and had even toured with Frank Sinatra, Jr. I wonder when he'll get to croon a bit on the show.

•••

Maybe that alien at the piano is MacFarlane!

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

the set of pipes on Scott Grimes."

---

Um, I have to admit that his singing made my eyes tear up a bit. What the hell is wrong with me??
+++++++

I read that he’s engaged to Adrianne Palicki, so it looks like the combination of humor and pipes worked!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: February 22 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I am SO biting my typing fingers!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Heh.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brannon Braga and Andre Bormanis went from writing my second-least favorite episode of Season 1 (their only episode credit for the season) to writing my 2 most favorite episodes of all (and so far their only credits for this season).

There's more I can praise about this episode but for now I'll focus on the acting from Claire's youngest son. Damn, he practically had cartoon sad puppy dog eyes when Dark Isaac was rejecting him. What a gut punch.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was an easy way to do this show, and that was as a TNG homage.  Just let Bortus be Worf, Isaac be Data, single mother CMO, chief engineer who started off at the helm.  Etc. etc.  Tell episodic one off optimistic sci fi stories with some more jokes thrown in.

But this season, with the characters established, McFarlane is doing the exact opposite of that.  Plot-wise, he’s dealing with stories more akin to much darker sci fi shows, while still maintaining the show’s positive, lighter feel, which is definitely not easy.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If this show is canceled they should relaunch it as an animated series on either Adult Swim or o TBS along side the very underrated Final Space animated sci-fi series.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sorry, I have to do this:

If the Kaylons need “more space”, why are they invading Earth instead of filling up those tunnels? This seems like an unfortunate case of plot over logic.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I do feel that there was a bit of a jump in the decision from declining to join the Union to invading Earth outright. Hopefully that gets fleshed out more in Part 2.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My surmise would be, and I'm probably doing some of the writers' work here, that they're thinking long term.  They're eventually going to have to start colonizing other planets.  The Union is at a point right now where they are technologically inferior and will certainly be a threat at that later date.  So its logical to take them out of the picture now, before they get any stronger, leaving the Kaylons the ability to expand in the future however they see fit.  Earth is Union HQ, so it makes sense to strike there first, leaving the Union's fleet and colonies in disarray for easy cleanup after.

Edited by Steve De Young on February 22 2019 at 1:27pm

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If the Kaylons need “more space”, why are they invading Earth instead of filling up those tunnels? This seems like an unfortunate case of plot over logic.
############

Didn't they mention "computational space"? Isn't there an idea that a given volume of space can only support a certain amount of processing? I think it's Bremermann's Limit but I only know what I've read in Charles Stross's novels.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I do feel that there was a bit of a jump in the decision from declining to join the Union to invading Earth outright.

——

My impression was that the decision to invade was already made when they deactivated Isaac. They were busy building up their invasion fleet and were just stalling until they could finish, but chose to move things up after the Orville discovered the evidence of genocide.

I think it’d be a neat piece of irony if the Kaylons’ decision to eliminate the Union was based on Isaac’s reports of the Orville’s successes. They wouldn’t have considered them a threat otherwise. 

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version