The particular combination of crew on the Orville has resulted in a
cease-fire with the Krill and prevented earth from being destroyed by
the Kaylons. If anything significant changed then we could be going
down a very dark path indeed.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Unfortunately, Fox television doesnít do Blu Ray anymore.  Itís not just the Orville.  They put out Legion season one on Blu Ray, but season 2 is DVD only.

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The touched on the idea that pulling Lt. Kelly from the past might have caused a new timeline to branch off - I think they called it a tangent timeline - so maybe next week's episode will be The Orville's mirror universe episode.

Edited by Paul Lloyd on 20 April 2019 at 2:04am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Unfortunately, Fox television doesnít do Blu Ray anymore.  Itís not just the Orville.  They put out Legion season one on Blu Ray, but season 2 is DVD only.
+++++++++

Yeah, yeah, I know. Weíre entering the era of the Streaming Wars, and physical media is being pushed out the door. But Iím a physical media kinda guy, for a variety of reasons. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Youíre heading for a Mort Weisinger story. ďHeís fated to always become Superman...Ē
+++++++

Hey, depending on what they end up doing, that could well be how it plays out!

That being said, modern STAR TREK has fallen into ďdestinyĒ nonsense, and so it would be nice to see THE ORVILLE retain real TREKís spirit of humanism and self-determination by showing that choices have consequences. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think it would be appropriate if they established that Edís marriage to Kelly was essential to his growth into the person that would be an effective captain. Kelly emphasized that relationships were about growing together. As much as their divorce sent him into a downspiral, not having her in his life at all might make him a worse officer. 

Edited by Michael Roberts on 20 April 2019 at 9:45am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ITEM: To start, call me a weirdo, but I thought Lt. Kelly would end up in bed with Cmdr. Kelly, not Ed. Yeah, I know it's weird, but I got the vibes from that episode.

ITEM: It is a delight to see that time travel/displacement is a real consideration in the 25th century, even taught at the Union Academy. It seems that, while not likely at all, it must be taken into account. And as noted... John and Isaac (sic?) obviously achieved it!

ITEM: So the question arises... is time a singular "river" or does it split into alternate timeline "tributaries"? I guess we'll find out how it's treated in next week's Orville.

ITEM: Of course, we have to wonder A) how effective is a memory wipe? If not 100%, then Lt. Kelly could be the source and resolution of the crisis. B) Would someone notice that Kelly is a couple weeks older than she should be? The time she spent in the future would count, even if she missed no time in the past. C) Could Isaac remember two timelines, or a previous timeline? I mean, he's 700-odd years out of phase with the Orville; time travel has, in a vague way, already occurred with him.

ITEM: Time travel stories make my head ache, in a great way, because I try to figure out the physics, and cause and effect. For those of you keen on the subject, I recommend Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity" - a fantastic novel where time changing is commonplace.

Anxious for next week's Orville - but then, I always am!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
ITEM: To start, call me a weirdo, but I thought Lt. Kelly would end up in bed with Cmdr. Kelly, not Ed. Yeah, I know it's weird, but I got the vibes from that episode.

Weirdo. Do you think this is a Heinlein short story?!

QUOTE:
ITEM: It is a delight to see that time travel/displacement is a real consideration in the 25th century, even taught at the Union Academy. It seems that, while not likely at all, it must be taken into account. And as noted... John and Isaac (sic?) obviously achieved it!  

ITEM: So the question arises... is time a singular "river" or does it split into alternate timeline "tributaries"? I guess we'll find out how it's treated in next week's Orville.

Donít forget weíve already seen time travel in THE ORVILLE with Charlize Theronís character. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Michael R. I figured it might be closer to a Heinlein novel, but I take what I can get. ;)

We DID see Charlize Theron time travel... from the future. Shucks, she might have used the John/Isaac device, for all we know. I just was noting that this was the earliest in time that we see time travel effected (yes, Lt. Kelly time travels, but not of her own volition, and supposedly she doesn't recall it.) But if quantum travel is involved, then any warping of space might well involve warping of time too.

One must wonder what the Union uses as a prime directive. Surely there should be one for time travelers!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The best Prime Directive should borrow rom the Hyppocratic Oath: First, Do No Harm.

As to the Nature of Time, some have suggested that all possible timelines were generated with the Big Bang (whatever that was), so splitting off alternates is not possible. (The shade of Mark Gruenwald weeps.)

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2019 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Enjoyable episode.

If I may be allowed one tiny nitpick.. 

All the medical technology we have seen in the show and sciatica is still an issue??

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2019 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think it was just an excuse he made.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 19
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version