Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love Ted Danson. 
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2019 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have to stop looking at the credits in the beginning. I would have preferred to have been surprised to see him.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 January 2019 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Curious thing: last night I rewatched “Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes”, and in the exchange where Ed comments that the bright lights on the ship must habe been painful for Telaya her response “I survived,” was missing. Her lips moved, but no words emerged. Doubly odd, since there did not seem to be a “break” in the soundtrack.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2019 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Odd. I watched it (3rd time this time) on Hulu on the ride home and I did hear her say it. I also heard it while watching it on the air.

This episode gets better with each re-watch. It's impressive that they sold the whole Ed-"Janelle" romance with no more than 10 minutes of air time. That's a testament to the writing and acting. I read that STD had a similar plot last season, but they took an entire season to get to the reveal. You can really feel Ed's pain from the moment of the reveal all the way to the very end.

EDIT: It dawned on me that Telaya's mission could have done much more damage had she socially engineered sensitive information from Ed and the crew as Janelle. But I buy that her getting revenge on Ed was more important than getting information efficiently.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 29 January 2019 at 8:32pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This episode gets better with each re-watch. It's impressive that they sold the whole Ed-"Janelle" romance with no more than 10 minutes of air time. That's a testament to the writing and acting. I read that STD had a similar plot last season, but they took an entire season to get to the reveal. You can really feel Ed's pain from the moment of the reveal all the way to the very end.
+++++++++++++

I find myself wondering if MacFarlane is one of the seven people who are subscribed to CBS All-Access, just so he can watch STD and then think of clever ways to do it right.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Tonight......

Awwwwwwwwww........

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Another enjoyable episode.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I liked it! Though I enjoyed most of the recent more serious episodes, a change of pace was definitely needed.

I laughed out loud with the way Isaac tried to end things, and was delighted to see Norm make an appearance.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I must wait for West Coast time to respond.....

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thought the Krill episode was fine, though as others have noted, it heavily echoes a major plotline from the first season of Discovery. Both had some measure of depth. My preference is for Discovery's version, which was very patiently played out and had an interesting angle regarding the impact on the person doing the switching. The Orville captured some decent stuff regarding the emotional impact on Captain Mercer and there was a decent amount implied about what was going on in the head of Tyler/Teleya. Quite liked the angry killer monkey species after the Krill. Reminded me a little of the Ogrons from Doctor Who.

Was less fond of the Astrology episode. Even for an astrology-focussed species, how long would it take to notice a new star, then escalate that to the powers that be and then for a new law to come into effect? How quickly does any law come into effect? I fear Bortus and Kelly's imprisonment would have dragged on quite a spell. The wheels of the law do not turn quickly. Loved Bortus' question about whether the birth would involve an egg, though.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2019 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Makes me wanna see Isaac and Lt. Yaphit both having to pose as humans as some daring duo / buddy cop team. Naturally, they'd be played by Norm MacDonald & Mark Jackson.

••

If I may...

You fall into an all-too-familiar trap here. "This would be cool! So it would be even COOLER if we doubled up on it!" Taking something unique--Isaac posing as human--and immediately diluting it with another non-human crewmember doing the same.

+++++++++

Well, this exchange from a few weeks ago was rather prophetic!

Anyway, this is a very charming episode. Essentially, it’s a sort of inverted version of TNG’s “In Theory”, right down to Data/Issac deliberately acting out of character late in the story, to the dismay of their romantic partners. 

Nice to see Issac get a lot of screen time, too, since he’s been pretty much in the background for the first few episodes of this season. And Penny Johnson-Gerald is just a joy to watch on this show. Claire’s definitely got the kink going on, when one considers both this episode and her previous tryst with Yaphit, last season. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mark Jackson is unfamiliar enough, at least to me, that his real face does not pull me out of the story. Yaphit becoming a middle-aged Norm MacDonald does. Especially in a scene that is so gratuitous. Lift it out, whole, and the episode loses nothing. Leave it in, and it intrudes on an otherwise charming tale.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I really enjoy any air time we can get from Claire on this show. It's hard to explain but there's something about her tone that at times is both comforting and reassuring, or assertive and dynamic, played seamlessly. Well done Penny Johnson-Gerald!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Mark Jackson is unfamiliar enough, at least to me, that his real face does not pull me out of the story. Yaphit becoming a middle-aged Norm MacDonald does. Especially in a scene that is so gratuitous. Lift it out, whole, and the episode loses nothing. Leave it in, and it intrudes on an otherwise charming tale.
++++++++

I was surprised enough when Jackson finally got to shed the robot suit, and then MacDonald had his little scene, too. While it was in-character enough for Yaphit to try and make a play for Claire, having Jackson and MacDonald show their faces in the episode really felt like MacFarlane was going out of his way to throw both of them a bone.

Gratuitous, yes, but at least it didn’t ruin the episode, which was quite sweet.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 01 February 2019 at 9:58am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

…having Jackson and MacDonald show their faces in the episode really felt like MacFarlane was going out of his way to throw both of them a bone.

••

Hardly a "bone" to Jackson, since his was the main story for the week. Definitely so for MacDonald. Like I said, a completely unnecessary scene.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Knowing Norm MacDonald's personality, I doubt that he was dying to actually appear in an episode. Most of his recurring work these days involves just his voice (this and MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES). I'm thinking MacFarlane specifically asked him to appear since he came up with an in-story reason for him to do so, and he went along with it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Except there WASN’T really an “in story” reason. It was just a bit, and like so many bits, superfluous. De-uniquing the story.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It seems like it was on point for the larger character arc(s) and spoke to real character development - Yaphit was clearly shown in the past to be pretty self-absorbed, and had stated that he thought Dr. Claire wasn't into him because he's not humanoid.  And it worked for Claire because it showed that it's not just about the human form.  If it were a stand-alone episode, yes, it would just be a weird superfluous bit, but I tend to think character-focused episodes on genre shows  - which are really 'for the fans' - can allow themselves the luxury of relying on the core audience to connect those dots for a more satisfying watch.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It's on-point for the character, yes, but the rock-bottom vibe of the scene is that MacFarlane saw an opportunity to give MacDonald facetime as well as Jackson.

That's what comes across as the primary motivator for doing the scene, and so it de-uniques the charm of seeing Issac masquerading as a human. Which is what makes it distracting! A minor flaw in a really sweet, sensitive, and thoughtful episode.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I was also impressed by some of the new closeup shots of the ship.

Can’t tell if it was my imagination, but it seemed like Isaac might have been sporting some variant “faces”, too.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

There was a scene where his eyelights seemed deeper
in his head.

The thing I'm wondering about is some artwork on
the wall of Kelly's office: was it the cover to
Journey's "Eacape"?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I was also impressed by some of the new closeup shots of the ship.
Can’t tell if it was my imagination, but it seemed like Isaac might have been sporting some variant “faces”, too.

+++++++++++

Yeah, I was impressed by those ship shots. Since this appears to have been a bottle show, perhaps they were able to lavish more attention on the usual flyby FX shots than usual.

And, I , too, found myself wondering whether they used some new faceplates for Issac, this time around. A subtle effect to emphasize the emotions of the story, maybe?

I was also impressed by Mark Jackson, both in and out of the suit. Not to say that he's ever disappointed, but the role essentially boils down to "stuck inside a suit, with a dubbed over vocal riff on Brent Spiner", which could easily be thankless. But, when given a starring role as a "leading man", he brought a lot of interesting nuances to the performance.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Jack, that was definitely Journey on her wall. Good catch!

Hey Greg, that's "ship in a bottle" show :-)

Funniest moment for me this episode; Gordon and John running the halls to spout off their gossip .

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Yes, definitely Journey, i think it was clarified on an
Orville Facebook site during season one.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I also noticed different face plates for ISAAC. Of course, that might be part of his observation pattern of human reactions.

I agree that the Norm McDonald was useless. Mind you, I think Norm McDonald is barely more tolerable than Will Farrell.... and I do not like Will Farrell at all.

I continue to be impressed that the humor in this series a light touch, and more so that Seth McFarlane plays his role as straight as a line. He has the opportunity to go all "Adam West" on the role... but he is dramatic and serious and a great joy to watch. Even his funny moments are clean and subtle.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version