Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Finally got a chance to watch this. Probably not the best idea for them to keep it scheduled to air on the same night that a little movie called ENDGAME—which I was roped into seeing with friends, last night—came out.

Disappointing finale, but still entertaining. I was hoping that this episode would validate last week’s episode and make it all worthwhile, but the end result of this two-parter is a definite mixed bag. This one was sort of a riff on “Yesterday’s Enterprise”, among others. A few too many familiar tropes, but unfortunately not tropes used in a particularly fresh or inventive way.

The music was definitely riffing on cues from James Horner’s scores for ALIENS and STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN.

And, yes, that low-cut top was...distracting. 

Still no word on a renewal? At least they did put the toys back in the box by the end of it. By the time that the last ten minutes rolled up, I was worried that they’d end on a cliffhanger which might never be resolved.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Two things stuck out for me:
++++++++

Moreso for her than for us, I think...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And, yes, that low-cut top was...distracting.

••

And not in a good way.

I really feel sorry for these poor young women who get boob jobs only to have them turn out to be BAD* boob jobs, looking like a couple of baseballs have been glued to their chests.

---------------------

* In the sense of a "bad cold", not in the sense of there being such a thing as a GOOD boob job.

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Saw the penultimate episode yesterday (We are a week
behind in the U.K. for some reason) and it struck me how
painfully thin she looked.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I enjoyed the episode - I dig me some outer space fight scenes - but there was one thing that was very distracting that Mr. Byrne has touched on.

Submarines are designed to resist high external pressure. Starships are designed to resist zero external pressure. I couldn't speak to design specifics (and in the end, it's a fictional future), but the fake tension about the Orville being stuck on the bottom of the Pacific in the Marianas Trench seemed a bit much.

And bloodthirsty git that I am... I might have been interested seeing the alternate crew of the Orville getting killed, rather than just seeing the ship explode. Not even due to Kaylon attack, which would have been a good death (not that there are any such, but you know what I mean...)

Still... nice to see Alara again! I really hope the show is renewed, and I wouldn't mind seeing her again once or twice.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It was nice to see Alara!
Too bad the "jar of pickles" line was directed to Talla.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Remember, that was probably the first time Ed used the pickle jar line in that reality.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And not in a good way.

I really feel sorry for these poor young women who get boob jobs only to have them turn out to be BAD* boob jobs, looking like a couple of baseballs have been glued to their chests.

+++++++

Exactly. I suppose that’s the cost of doing business in Hollywood. Beautiful women mutilating themselves because of ego problems and/or a sense of inadequacy in that dog-eat-dog environment.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It would have complicated things enormously, in terms of wrapping up the episode, but it might have been more interesting if Claire had NOT “faded away” after she “fixed” Kelly.

Consider: the simplest way to handle time travel is to think of the time stream as a river, with the time traveler moving along the bank, backwards and forwards. In this model there is no reason for Claire to disappear, since she is actually SEPARATE from the time stream. Her actions have resulted in a restoration of the “real” timeline, but they may have also left her cut off from it.

Not fading leaves us with two Claires, but I don’t think the Universe would care!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Remember, that was probably the first time Ed used the pickle jar line in that reality.
+++++

Yep. That was clearly the point. He’d only just met alternate-Talla, but had certainly gotten to know her ever-so-slightly better than alternate-Alara, if only by a minor degree. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Consider: the simplest way to handle time travel is to think of the time stream as a river, with the time traveler moving along the bank, backwards and forwards. In this model there is no reason for Claire to disappear, since she is actually SEPARATE from the time stream. Her actions have resulted in a restoration of the “real” timeline, but they may have also left her cut off from it.
++++++++

I’ve often though of this in relation to THE TERMINATOR, and have wondered about the reality which would result if the T-800 had succeeded in killing Sarah Connor. Since the destruction of the T-800 and the birth of John Connor created a time-loop which led to the invention of Skynet and the time-displacement machine, killing Connor would result in a reality without Skynet. The T-800 would be stuck in 1984, trapped outside the original timeline, but its mission completed.

Coincidentally, I was literally (about 20 minutes ago) just talking to a friend who complained about how time travel is so frequently being used as a deux ex machina and Get Out Of Jail Free card in modern genre fiction.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A writer who shall remain nameless typed a critical commentary on the TERMINATOR movies in which he tried to force Marvel’s (read: Mark Gruenwald’s) rules of time travel into James Cameron’s tapestry. The actions of the Terminator could not change the Past, and would succeed only in creating an alternate reality. You know, the was Chris mucked up my plot for DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

Only, like DoFP as I intended, the timeline is viewed from the Present, so it’s not the Past being changed, it’s the Future being created.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I saw a cartoon online today, it showed a time traveller
returning to his lab, he says to his assistant "I just
killed Hitler" the assistant replies "Who"?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"Remember, that was probably the first time Ed used the pickle jar line in that reality.
+++++

Yep. That was clearly the point. He’d only just met alternate-Talla, but had certainly gotten to know her ever-so-slightly better than alternate-Alara, if only by a minor degree. "

Yeah, I got that, I just would've enjoyed the nod to Alara more.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

A writer who shall remain nameless typed a critical commentary on the TERMINATOR movies in which he tried to force Marvel’s (read: Mark Gruenwald’s) rules of time travel into James Cameron’s tapestry. The actions of the Terminator could not change the Past, and would succeed only in creating an alternate reality. You know, the was Chris mucked up my plot for DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.
+++++++

Yep. 

The whole point of THE TERMINATOR, of course, was that it was a predestination paradox, rather than an exploration of the possibility of alternate/divergent realities. Reese alludes to “One possible future. From your point of view.”, but the subtle dramatic irony of the story is that Skynet only succeeds in bringing about both its own creation AND its own destruction by sending the Terminator back.

The sequels are a different matter, and, post-Cameron, have turned into a disastrous series of pointless reboots and alternate timelines. With more on the way. Sigh.

I give T2 a pass for reasonably exploiting a loophole in the first film’s done-in-one story so as to allow for a sequel (Skynet hedging its bet by simultaneously sending two Terminators back to two different points in the timeline, a fact which Reese—the first’s film’s only source of exposition—was unaware of), but the rest of the films are mess, in terms of time-travel and continuity.

Anyway, I just read that ORVILLE toys and trading cards are in the works, alongside the previously-announced comic book miniseries. Hopeful signs that the show will be renewed. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Yeah, I got that, I just would've enjoyed the nod to Alara more.
++++++

I think the point was to show that Ed was still Ed, and would end up using that phrase in any situation which warranted it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

And having him say it to Alara might have been a tad TOO cute.

Anyway, the fact that I feel no desire to watch the episode again tells me this is ultimately a Fail overall. Here’s hoping for redemption in the third season.............?

David Danion
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I really feel sorry for these poor young women who get boob jobs only to have them turn out to be BAD* boob jobs, looking like a couple of baseballs have been glued to their chests

----

Or maybe she just developed breasts - you know, the way women do. Maybe that wouldn't be so hard for you to understand if you spent time with women other than you're "gal pals"...or the women 40 years younger than you you've supposedly dated.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Time to study a little anatomy—real anatomy.

The body reacts to breast implants as invaders, and does what it can to protect itself from them, first by forming scar tissue. Hard scar tissue. That’s what creates the “baseball” effect. Breasts that don’t move, the way real ones do.

Some day, if you’re very lucky, you’ll understand.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Developed breasts at age 35? Pretty late puberty, there. 

Alex Prewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Weak episode. "Yesterday's Orville," indeed.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I didn't mind the low cut top in the least, but she's definitely had a boob job. Although I've dated women thirty years younger than me (and also several years older than me.. not an ageist) so maybe my opinion on breasts doesn't count either.  

As for the episode, I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the episode that preceded it.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I enjoyed it. The music was definitely riffing on various well known scores, not just Horner, but I though there were also quite a few references to John Williams. In fact, the episode had nods to the Star Wars films in a multitude of ways.

"What's that?"
"Future of the galaxy."

I hope we get to see these characters return.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Loved the music this episode, like Peter i spotted a few
nods as he mentioned, i detected a bit of Jerry
Goldsmith too.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-shows-canceled-so-far-in -2019-1203211203/

So currently it’s not cancelled, but it hasn’t been announced as renewed. Yay limbo! :/

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version