Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Also, I heard it pointed out elsewhere, and I can’t believe I didn’t make the connection. Penny Johnson-Gerald of course appeared as Ben Sisko’s love interest on DS9. Ben Sisko was a single father, and Claire Finn is a single mother. Sisko was the Emissary of the Bajorans, and Issac is referred to as the Kaylons’ emissary. So, Finn’s character is sort of a riff on Sisko’s single-dad role in DS9, and Johnson-Gerald’s character is again dating an emissary on a sci-fi show.

I put the Penny Johnson-Gerald connection together immediately when I started watching the show.  

But I didn't put the Emissary thing together till I read your post Greg.  Then it triggered the familiarity of this episode to a DS9 episode which if I'm correct is a beautiful nod w the use of Emissary to DS9.  I won't speculate or use the spoiler feature I don't want to take the risk of spoiling anything. Really looking fwd to next week's episode to see how right or wrong I am.  

On a side note I was recently watching Justified I had forgotten Scott Grimes was in the final season he plays a pretty good bad guy. 

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Re: the limits of computation in a given volume of space- it might be the Bekenstein Bound I was thinking of.

It was a great episode.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

But I didn't put the Emissary thing together till I read your post Greg. Then it triggered the familiarity of this episode to a DS9 episode which if I'm correct is a beautiful nod w the use of Emissary to DS9. I won't speculate or use the spoiler feature I don't want to take the risk of spoiling anything. Really looking fwd to next week's episode to see how right or wrong I am.
+++++++++++

See, I haven't really watched DS9 since first run. I need to start a thread over in the TREK section and dive in, dagnabbit.

+++++++++++++

On a side note I was recently watching Justified I had forgotten Scott Grimes was in the final season he plays a pretty good bad guy.

+++++++++++++

I know him best from ER, where he played a similarly dopey character like Gordon! Haven't seen him in a dramatic role, but I'm sure he could pull it off.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That WAS him on ER!! I totally forgot about that. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, it was "computational space" (whatever that means) that seemed to be an issue.

But even if physical space is not an issue, I would think that it would have been considered more efficient to vaporize or simply cremate the remains of their builders. Ashes take up much less space and mass than a skeleton.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: February 22 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Computational space must mean something requiring physical space, or why invade other planets?

If the Watchers can have a computer the size of a planet, why do the Kaylon just coat the surface of theirs?

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If the Kaylons need “more space”, why are they invading Earth instead of filling up those tunnels? This seems like an unfortunate case of plot over logic.

Now that you got that ball rolling, I'm now wondering why would the Kaylons need to invade an inhabited planet when they could just colonize an uninhabited planet. They don't need food or oxygen to survive, so they could just colonize a dead world or moon.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Now that I took the time to look up his name, I read that Kai Wener actually drew the "family portrait" with Isaac: LINK

Plus, Scott Grimes singing in all 4 takes, overlayed. Practically no variation, whatsoever: LINK

Edited by Vinny Valenti on February 22 2019 at 10:27pm

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If you ever get the chance, watch a show called The Republic of Doyle.  He did a few guest stints on there.

Plus, the show is damn good too.

As for the current episode of Orville, I think Steve De Young nailed it.  The Kaylon want to eliminate any chance of anyone stopping them, so they need to destroy the Union.  The Kaylon want to make sure that Earth and the Union do not get to the point technologically where they're a real threat.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That is amazing, Vinny.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As for the current episode of Orville, I think Steve De Young nailed it.  The Kaylon want to eliminate any chance of anyone stopping them, so they need to destroy the Union.  The Kaylon want to make sure that Earth and the Union do not get to the point technologically where they're a real threat.
+++++++++

Sounds about right. Their supposed “incompatibility” with their creators probably amounted to “they would have gotten in our way, so we eliminated them”. Less about needing space, and more about removing potential impediments and wildcards to their planned expansion. 

Of course, this is a two-parter, so a fair assessment of potential plot holes can only come after next week! 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 22 2019 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Oh, and:

"Seth MacFarlane has clearly had a "master plan" for this series in place since he conceived it. And it's working brilliantly."

---

Seth confirmed on Twitter that this was the plan for Isaac all along.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version