Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm guessing the Krill weren't told of the "secret weapon" used against them, knowing her fate if handed over. 
We add another member to The Orville "universe" , Envol is it?
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not a bad episode but not a great one either, which is fine. I do miss Alara but not as much as I thought I would and I find myself warming up to her replacement faster than I thought I would as well.  

Ronald Gneiss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Classic TREK fare, but done better. I am more impressed every episode. Just the human dialogue alone is the touch that trek always seemed to miss in trying to be more 'advanced'.

A big smile during every episode is all I ever ask of any show. It delivers.
Congrats to Seth (who quite frankly I never cared for),on a well done and well delivered show. To be the main character,writer,director,show-runner,architect of the universe...Respect. My guess his love for the show keeps it fresh and fun.

Also to Braga. He, I think, is the key to success here as well. Who else better to bring all that worked, and all that failed to the Orville. He must be having the time of his life.

Edited by Ronald Gneiss on 09 March 2019 at 5:45am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm guessing the Krill weren't told of the "secret weapon" used against them, knowing her fate if handed over. 

-----

The Union was prepared to extradite one of their own officers. I'm not sure they had a vested interest in protecting a terrorist who was in violation of her world's agreement to stay away from nitrogen-based atmospheres.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I wonder how many viewers were watching thinking “Nitrogen? They mean oxygen!”

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have to say, I found myself wondering again how they can have replicator technology but not transporters.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Classic TREK fare, but done better.

•••

“Better” is a relative term. The world has changed a lot since STAR TREK first went on the air. And so have broadcast standards. Talla’s reference to getting laid would have exploded the heads of network censors back in the before time. Loosening of those rules has allowed for much more free flowing and realistic dialog.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have to say, I found myself wondering again how they can have replicator technology but not transporters.
------------------------------------------------------------
Real world technology regarding organic 3-D printers is working on replicators, but we're nowhere near transporters.  I would think the added wrinkle would be transferring human consciousness.  While the technology is similar, a replicator would make a (dead) copy of a person's organic matter, I would think.  That's fine if you're replicating meat.  Not so great if you feed in a live person on one end and have a clone cadaver drop out the other.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

3D printing is nothing like the replicators we’ve seen. They “beam” the selected items, they don’t print them.

(I’m reminded of a George Carlin routine in which he noted that a fish market will display a sign saying “Fresh Fish” but a butcher would not proclaim “Fresh Meat.)

Ronald Gneiss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The reason no transporters....
Its a TOO damn easy out. It became a plot device so fast it lost its pleasure and it's 'coolness'.
Orville did itself a favor. Sure it doesnt 'fit' with replicators, but hey who cares. It must have been a conscious decision to exclude it really if you think about it.

Smart move is Orville encounters.. sometime down the road, a Species that has it developed, then the Union gains such Tech.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The most likely reason for no transporters is to not look even more like STAR TREK.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The most likely reason for no transporters is to not look even more like STAR TREK.
+++++++

Yeah, no kidding. The transporter is a major part of TREK’s identity, and making use of that concept would surely be a bridge too far. After all, “Beam me up, Scotty” has been part of the cultural lexicon for decades. The transporter is a highly-recognizable core aspect of the franchise.

Faster-than-light starships and a pseudo-military branch of a utopian future government are reasonably generic enough ideas to avoid infringement, but teleportation technology would really be pushing it. Frankly, I’m a bit amazed they’ve gotten away with doing replicators and holodecks.

I don’t know about the legal ins and outs of the show, but I was under the impression that they’ve gotten away with as much as they have because the show is generally considered a parody of TREK and other sci-fi. Yet, the show has become less and less overtly comedic, over time, and I do find myself wondering if those pesky CBS lawyers might come knocking, at some point. 

CBS has plenty to be jealous of, and any opportunity to take out their successful and popular competition would be very welcome, I’m sure.

By the way, GALAXY QUEST (...the best post-TOS-era STAR TREK movie!) was on TV, today, and I was reminded of how influential it must have been on MacFarlane, particularly regarding the look of the uniforms and the overall tone.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The shuttles having cloak technology is more puzzling to me than the lack of transporters.

CBS is building a streaming app (they own a percentage of Hulu as well) around ST they have already announced three or four new ST shows and Discovery's renewal for a third season meanwhile The Orville's ratings really aren't that good and let us all remember how Fox loves to cancel their cult hits. I really doubt CBS is concerned about The Orville.

And wasn't Babylon5 and DS9 on at the same time?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I have no doubt that THE ORVILLE’s ratings are a damn sight better than a certain loss-leader flagship show which CBS is desperately keeping afloat to maintain interest in their fledgling streaming service, since we’re now entering the era of the Streaming Wars. THE ORVILLE actually trends on social media. That other show does not. I wouldn’t be surprised if there have been conversations about THE ORVILLE going on behind closed doors at CBS.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

You can’t even keep it out of threads of stuff you actually like. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I do have one nit to pick about this episode. I read that MacFarlane made a conscious decision to tone down the comedy in Season 2, but his attempt here with Talla's stalling the Krill didn't work for me. I can't imagine the Krill seriously submitting to a urine sample, let alone a rectal exam. It seemed like he realized that there was no other scene where some comedy could work, so he tacked this on. Goofy highjinks amongst the crew members works because all of the characters are geared towards that to varying degree. But it doesn't necessarily work with outsiders, as in the case here. It felt like it had Peter David's name written all over it - putting humor above characterization.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I actually agree with you, Vinny. That scene fell flat for me, and didn't make sense.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Yeah. It shows just how much effortless heavy lifting Gordon does in the humor department. He never undercuts a scene. Him and that dude with the spherical head.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

That shuttle exploding looked just like a John Byrne explosionTM

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Him and that dude with the spherical head.

——-

Dann?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

You can’t even keep it out of threads of stuff you actually like. 
+++++++++

Yes, what a shame. You’ll have to excuse me for being royally, royally pissed off at watching a franchise I’ve loved for my entire life—a franchise which legitimately meant something to so many people—be run into the ground and turned into expensive and shallow gobbledygook which has no respect for the past and seemingly no conception of good or honest storytelling. But, then, dissenting opinions seems to have less and less of a place in this brave, new world. Either toe the company line or go away, is that it?  “We don’t need fans like you”, and “It’s not made for you”, and “The haters can go find something else to watch”? Yikes. That is so very anti-inclusive and anti-TREK, but it seems to be a widespread opinion among the more opinionated boosters of the current iteration. Step in line, or get out, it seems. Well, thanks to THE ORVILLE, we “haters” have indeed found something else to watch.

I have no desire to cling to the sinking ship, but I’m utterly absorbed with watching it sink. Like watching an ex-spouse become a junkie. You can’t do anything whatsoever to help, but you also can’t bring yourself to completely ignore it. It’s a sad, painful thing to watch.

And this particular matter is—at the very least—tangentially related to THE ORVILLE, since MacFarlane’s show started as a pitch to CBS, and is now in direct competition with STD, since CBS has made a point of releasing episodes on Thursday nights to try and leech away ORVILLE viewers. A great many disenfranchised STAR TREK fans (and fans of quality science-fiction TV, in general) have turned to THE ORVILLE to have their needs met. I was never big into MacFarlane’s previous work, but I’ll give him all the credit in the world for trying to keep the STAR TREK spirit alive at a time when that once-great franchise has become the victim in a corporate legal rights tug-of-war. 

THE ORVILLE could easily have just been a shallow TREK knock-off, but it really has developed its own flavor and mythology, and deserves the chance to continue carving out its own place in popular culture by being smart and fun and honest with its characters and storytelling.

I’ve spoken to a good number of civilian friends and coworkers about the show. A good number of them watch and love THE ORVILLE (...although many of them didn’t even know that STD existed until I asked them about it). The show may not have the greatest ratings, but it’s a hit with these people I know who don’t normally watch a lot of sci-fi programming. The show clearly has the right balance of humor and heart to strike a chord with the normies. Episodes like “About a Girl” and “Majority Rule” resonate with people in the way that STAR TREK used to resonate.

This video pretty much sums it up. And that’ll be my last word on the matter. For now. So, yes, let’s indeed stick to ORVILLE talk, and not derail things any further. I promise I’ll be good, and I’ll be staying out of this thread until next week’s ORVILLE is up for discussion, because I’m not in the mood to defend my oh-so-annoying knack for voicing my honest opinions when I see fit to do so. 

Anyway, where’s that third-season renewal for THE ORVILLE? The impending comic book series is a good sign, but it is worrisome that there hasn’t been an official greenlight, as of yet. Although, even if Fox did cancel the show, I think there’s a good chance that it would be picked up by another network or streaming service. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

You act like if we like one of them we can’t like the other. I like both of the shows so far. And yes, I like THE ORVILLE better. But because I like DISCOVERY that doesn’t make me less a fan of THE ORVILLE. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Him and that dude with the spherical head.

——-

Dann?

Bitchin'.
< ="text/" async="" src="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Re: DISCOVERY. From what little I’ve seen, it seems like a show I might moderately enjoy if they weren’t calling it STAR TREK.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2019 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

DISCOVERY is crapping all over Trek by using Christopher Pike and Spock.

Someone please tell me the show is part of the Kelvin timeline, and not the original!!!

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version