Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Can't argue with that. If we had seen the Orville land in another episode, that would have been a different story. But this is the only episode where they do (with no particular reason given) and not-so-coincidentally happens to be the one episode where they get boarded.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 05 March 2019 at 7:34am
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

One of the limitations of not having a transporter, I suppose!

TREK had it so easy when invaders boarded ships!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Maybe it's that I'm not that Trek addicted (although come on - be serious!) but why should we assume that the Orville shouldn't be able to land on a planet?

It's the 25th century. It's an entirely different technology that we've only seen twenty-odd episode of, an hour at a time. It's similar to Star Trek, but obviously not identical. 

There are spacedocks - that's fine. I expect spacedocks in our own future when (if) we ever get space travel practical. But our universe has its own physics and laws of gravity etc. I've no reason to think that the Orville's universe is identical.

This changes in no way how incredibly stupid it was to leave a port untended that Ty could just run out of (no matter who was running the ship)... but that's what security is for. Even on Krylon - shucks, even on Earth - I would post guards at that doorway.

I know I'm playing devil's advocate, but I have to ask... why not?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I’d say it really is an inherent limitation of the show being pseudo-TREK. If you don’t have a transporter to get characters in and out of places quickly, then the ship would have to be able to land take off, in a more STAR WARS-y style. Using shuttles all the time is also limiting. I find myself wondering if they’d ever planned for the ship being able to land, prior to this episode.

I’ve done a bit of research, and there seems to be some debate over the size of the ship, too. The general consensus seems to be that it’s a bit bigger than the TOS Enterprise, and somewhere around the length of Voyager. Somewhere around 340 meters long.

It’s certainly more believable that the Orville would be a ship designed for space only (not unlike most TREK starships), and that people therefore could only come and go via shuttle or when the ship was drydocked, but that limits the possibilities in a show which occasionally goes full action-adventure. 

After all, Roddenberry invented the transporter because he couldn’t afford to land the Enterprise on planets, week after week, but also needed an expedient and cost-effective way to get people on and off the ship.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Based on that window in the front of the bridge I would not have guessed the Orville was bigger than the Enterprise.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Neither would I.

I haven’t done intensive research on this, mind you, but that seems to be the consensus. There don’t seem to be any official specs on the ship which have come out of the production. The main evidence fans have used to roughly determine the ship’s size is the cutaway schematic on one of the Bridge’s display screens, which shows the number of decks. Compared to the TNG-era Master System Displays which clearly inspired it, the Orville looks to be around the size of Voyager.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 05 March 2019 at 12:23pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That was my thought. Keep in mind, too, that the Orville has been called a “small” ship.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Exactly. 

And, of course, that was MacFarlane’s original TREK pitch to CBS—the wacky hijinks of one Starfleet’s smallest, lowliest ships, rather than a ship of the line.

We’ve only seen a few other Union ships on the show, but they’ve pretty much been identical to the Orville. It would be nice to see her contrasted with some of the biggest and best ships in the fleet.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There were a number of larger ships depicted in the last episode.  Including an Admiral's command ship.  But the design is very close to the Orville's, so you have to watch the space battles pretty closely and get a sense of scale by comparing on screen ships to each other.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, the battle scenes were so fast and furious that it was hard to get a sense of scale.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

One problem I had with the space battle was that it played like a collection of dogfights, with massive ships zooming around like WW2 fighter planes. A problem I also had with the “remastered” TOS episode “The Doomsday Machine”. There our favorite starship was shown buzzing and whirling around with no consideration of its mass. Future technology, sure, but physics are still physics.

I’d have been happier, too, if the ORVILLE battle had happened with a greater distance between the combatants.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

<<...but why should we assume that the Orville shouldn't be able to land on a planet>>

Take a look at the shape of the ship. How long would the legs have to be for a landing on a simple horizontal surface? Where would they go when retracted?
Or does it rely on some repulsor beam that acts as legs? Or does it perpetually hover? And what if they’re low on power?
Nothing to me, about the design of the ship suggests it’s remotely capable of landing anywhere.

—edited to sound less snarky than i meant!—

Edited by Jim Muir on 05 March 2019 at 3:41pm

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

<<...with massive ships zooming around like WW2 fighter planes>>

That’s one of the many things Wrath of Khan got spot on. A real feeling of weight and scale between two giant vessels. A ship that size isn’t not going to turn on a sixpence!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

There’s that moment when the Reliant and the Enterprise are on a collision course in the nebula, and Kirk orders an evasive starboard to avoid the collision. The ship veers in a painfully slow way, and that only ends up creating a broader target for Reliant’s phasers. Very dramatic and exciting moment which doesn’t involve the ships zipping around like jets.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Wow. That was a disappointment. Pretty much everything we could’ve predicted happened. Weakest episode of the season. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

TONIGHT: First couple of acts were a bit talky. Picked up in the second half.

(Still not missing Alara. Should I feel guilty about that?)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Funny, I was thinking during the episode that now I'm officially liking Talla - whereas over the course of the previous episodes I went from not liking her at all to being lukewarm about her.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

A solid and enjoyable episode. Sort of a mix of THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY with TNG’s “The Wounded”.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

https://io9.gizmodo.com/by-avis-the-orville-is-getting-its-o wn-comic-book-1833140121

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well, it didn't take long to see an impact from the Kaylon episodes. Still looking for those uncomfortable moments between Isaac and the good Dr..

I liked the episode. Formulaic but fun.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Still not missing Alara. Should I feel guilty about that?

Yes. Yes you should. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Between last week's episode and last night's, they really just need to put a bathroom in the shuttle bay.

Nice to see Gordon in a more dramatic role, as they've been shifting a lot of the comedy relief on to him this season.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The Battle of the 80's child actors! I kept having this gnawing feeling that Scott Grimes and Mackenzie Astin (son of greats Patty Duke and John Astin) were friends in real life, given how well they seemed to flow in this episode. Turns out I was right!

I had only weeks ago realized that Scott Grimes was a child actor. Whenever I saw him on THE ORVILLE or ER I kept thinking that I had seen him before, but couldn't place his face. Then I read that he was in several episodes of WHO'S THE BOSS as Samantha's boyfriend. Yes, I used to watch it.

I just read that Astin lost a part of his right ear in a car accident years ago. And here I was thinking that they had done a great prosthetic job to give him visible signs of torture at the hands of the Krill!

About the Krill, I'm not yet seeing what's in it for them to be seeking a peace treaty with the Union. But I withhold judgement as this plot continues to unfold.

And I'm with Michael that it's good to see Grimes get to flex his dramatic chops more. He also started out on ER as comic relief but got more chances for drama as his role progressed. And on that note, I really need to watch BAND OF BROTHERS one day.....

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Curiously, Mackenzie Astin is not listed in the cast on IMDb, and his own page does not list THE ORVILLE.

What what what?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Oddly, the-site-which-shall-not-be-named does list last night's episode under his entry.

And IMDB does not return any results for them working together before. Could this really be the first time after over 30 years?

While watching the episode last night I was a bit disappointed that they didn't put a Mohawk on Scott/Gordon in the photo at the end, but now I realize that they must have used an actual photo of them together!

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 08 March 2019 at 9:57am

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version