Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This was definitely a low point for me. It seemed all accumulated cliches.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Surprising, too, since this was a MacFarlane script, and he's rarely gone wrong.

Hard to believe that Part One's script, by Braga and Bormanis, was better than MacFarlane's script for Part Two.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Felt like ten pounds of crap in a two pound bag 

Alex Prewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Glad it wasn’t a simulation, but this was a pretty weak episode.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At least it wasn't a simulation! Set up some neat stuff to explore, but couldn't top the previous. I feel bad for Isaac. He has empathy now. That never made anybody's life easier.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A friend who I've hooked on THE ORVILLE is coming over Sunday, so I'll be watching it a second time. Let's see if it plays better if I go in knowing what's wrong with it.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thinking about this last night, it reminded me how amazing the cliffhanger was with Locutus of Borg...

And that I really can't remember the second half of the story.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"The Menagerie", on TOS, was a strong two-parter--but then, it was really a single episode cut in two, so the momentum was maintained in the "second part".

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Since MacFarlane has done such a good job in echoing TNG, this two-parter certainly follows suit. It really is the ORVILLE version of “The Best of Both Worlds”, with Part 2 being a letdown after Part 1’s amazing cliffhanger, and the status quo being restored at the end.

Makes me wonder if the next episode will evoke “Family”, since MacFarlane is a big fan of that episode.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Menagerie", on TOS, was a strong two-parter--but then, it was really a single episode cut in two, so the momentum was maintained in the "second part".
++++++

Yeah, the bulk of Part 1 was new material, and the bulk of Part 2 was the recycled pilot. The shift in gears from one story to the other kept the momentum going. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The new material was the weakest part of “The Menagerie”. Logic and characterization stretched almost to the breaking point. It was the flow thru of the pilot that really made the two-parter work.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Since MacFarlane has done such a good job in echoing TNG, this two-parter certainly follows suit. It really is the ORVILLE version of “The Best of Both Worlds”, with Part 2 being a letdown after Part 1’s amazing cliffhanger, and the status quo being restored at the end.

Right down to the "sleep" order and Ty becoming a Wesley Crusher type (the missing father and mom is a doctor as well) who helped rescued the ship 

So if he keeps following the TNG playbook is Isaac in the Worf role the outcast among us people?  Of course they have established at any point they can shut Isaac down ...idk so many things to point out that don't add up.

I was really hoping that Identity part 2 was gonna be the breaking away from TNG playbook.

I still enjoy the show but I really don't have any desire revisit this one

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Found the space battle to be dull and reminiscent of the Star Wars Prequels. About as enjoyable as watching someone else play a video game (though that is a big thing these days, so maybe not the best comparison).

Definitely disappointing, but not a disaster. Thought Yaphit's involvement worked quite well. Definitely prefer when the show is more thought-provoking and character-based than ships zooming around and things blowing up.

It was puerile, but the pee corner stuff did make me laugh.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Whats to stop the Kaylons from just deactivating Isaac again in the future? Or did I miss mention of something regarding that?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I think the implication is either that they can't ("you will always be alone") OR that Yaphit now knows how to reactivate him.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 March 2019 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Second viewing. Less disappointment knowing there was disappointment.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I'm a bit disheartened by the reactions here to the point of me wondering if maybe I watched a different episode. I liked it very much. I'll grant that things went more or less predictably, though. It was nice to see Yaphit and Ty save the day, and the scene where Isaac saves Ty and tells him "I will not allow them to harm you" actually made my eyes well up a bit. 

I imagine that future episodes will involve Isaac and/or the rest of the crew questioning his purpose.

Fair point about remotely deactivating Isaac again. But it does look like they lack the ability to communicate with each other a la the Borg, so presumably the rest of the Kaylon have no idea that Isaac betrayed them - or else the other Kaylon ships would have attacked the Orville the moment that happened. The EMP deactivated the other Kaylon on the ship so they did not get a chance to relay any message.

Which does raise the question - what did the Union do with the other Kaylon? Hmmm....

Minor gripe that didn't dawn on me until the second viewing - While it may have been cool to see Gordon piloting a Krill ship, I don't see them allowing it. The humans are still considered to be an enemy, so why allow one of them to learn a bit of their technology unnecessarily? I doubt that there just happened to be a shortage of one Krill pilot.

I do like the irony that the reason why the Union reached out to the Kaylon to begin with was to be a potential ally against the Krill, when it turned out to be the other way around.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

One other thing - I'm not sure how I feel about the line tossed in about Isaac being built after the genocide. I feel like that should have been something mentioned in Part 1, and it would have been more interesting if Isaac was indeed a part of it, but was completely 'reformatted' to be an emissary afterwards, so still technically no longer culpable.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'm a bit disheartened by the reactions here to the point of me wondering if maybe I watched a different episode. I liked it very much. I'll grant that things went more or less predictably, though. It was nice to see Yaphit and Ty save the day, and the scene where Isaac saves Ty and tells him "I will not allow them to harm you" actually made my eyes well up a bit. 
+++++++

I also enjoyed it quite a bit, overall, but was disappointed by the focus on action and cliches rather than answering questions that had been raised. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

One other thing - I'm not sure how I feel about the line tossed in about Isaac being built after the genocide.

——

I felt this was a plot seed to set up a potential future civil war between the Kaylons of Isaac’s generation and the ones who actually committed the genocide.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 04 March 2019 at 11:18am

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"I also enjoyed it quite a bit, overall, but was disappointed by the focus on action and cliches"

I wonder if the extended space battle sequence was in response to Best Of Both Worlds Part II not showing the battle at Wolf 359.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

That’s an excellent point. I also get the feeling that MacFarlane opened the season with some low-key and bottle-type shows so the money saved could go into a full-on space battle, which the show hadn’t done,’till now.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

<< I'm not sure how I feel about the line tossed in about Isaac being built after the genocide.>>

Presumably this is to distance Isaac from the atrocities to make the character more palatable to the crew and audience. I'd have much preferred him to have been an active participant for a more morally complex storyline. 

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The Orville's planetary landing still bugs me though - that ship is not designed for landing on planets. 

Even if we ignore the flimsy 'nacelles?' ... where exactly is the landing gear housed? The legs would have to be huge! Conveniently, the Kaylon city already had a docking station so they didn't have to worry about that.
I can only assume the Orville was suddenly capable of planetary landing so that Ty can directly walk out of a door to get lost in the city. 

But then I was never a fan of Voyager being able to land either!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I can only assume the Orville was suddenly capable of planetary landing so that Ty can directly walk out of a door to get lost in the city.

•••

And so the Kaylon could swarm aboard. Another example of internal logic being sacrificed to plot.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version