Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: The Making of PLANET OF THE APES Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Picked up this informative tome the other day. Full of behind-the-scenes stuff, most interesting being the background on how the project was developed.* Lots of early ape designs, including makeup and clothes.

One small surprise was learning that the impressive shot of Taylor and Cornelius talking across a rocky gorge above a river was an actual, practical shot, not a matt!

A brief synopsis of the novel reminded me that much of what I do not like about the way the films "developed" was actually from Pierre Boulle's book. The business about the apes being brought into human homes as pets/servants, and slowly taking over, for instance. Not a whisper of nuclear armageddon as the springboard for human devolution.

* An almost STAR TREK "crossover": Angelique Pettyjohn in a wardrobe test for one of the (topless!) human females. I wonder if anyon really thought they could make the movie acceptable to the general populace with just lots and lots of strategically placed hair!!

(Based on the slate, this was about a year before she shot "The Gamesters of Triskelion".)

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I havenít gotten Ďround to rewatching the films via the Blu-Ray set I picked up, last year. I should probably get this book in anticipation of my eventual rewatch. Thanks for the heads-up, chief!

I hadnít ever seen the original POTA until a few years back, but, once I did, I immediately understood why itís so beloved. A brilliant film from top to bottom, and one of the best science-fiction films ever made. The sequels are entertaining, but totally unnecessary. Like so many genre films which were turned into cash-grab franchises, the original is a perfect, self-contained entity. Beginning, middle, end. Nice and neat. It tells its story gracefully and succinctly, and it tells it well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As a huge fan of the original, I was of course delighted to hear there would be a sequel. Obviously, there were places to go after that shocker of an ending. I just didn't expect THOSE places!

This is one of the first instance I can recall where the sequel basically scrapped the original in order to find its story. And, as noted above, as more sequels were unleashed, the filmmakers turned back more and more to the source material, to the detriment, I thought, of the original.

(This is one of a few instances where I do not demand absolute fidelity. Two reasons: one, I was but a wisp of a lad when I saw PotA in the theater, and had no idea it was so different from the book. By the time I found out, my love for the movie was carved in stone. Secondly, the novel is not called PLANET OF THE APES, so an argument could be made that the film is "inspired by" rather than "based on".)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Coincidentally, I just ordered this book last night.  As a huge fan of the franchise, I'm looking forward to it!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The original French La PlanŤte des singes ("The Planet of the Monkeys") is so radically other than the film adaptation that I would call it "loosely based on."

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Got the book years ago. A pretty quick read,IIRC. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The book JB is talking about just came out this year.  You're thinking of a different book, Brian.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ha! I thought you meant the book the movie was based on. Sorry Ďbout that. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I thought you meant the book the movie was based on.

ēēē

Cannot imagine how you got there based on my first post.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Not you, JB, Matt. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 2:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Started reading last night.  Really great book.  I'm barely in and am "all in" if you get my meaning.  Pure Apes candy if you're of a mind for that sort of thing.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
I hadnít ever seen the original POTA until a few years back, but, once I did, I immediately understood why itís so beloved.

You're only a recent convert?  Color me surprised!  I thought this would have worked its way to the top at some point sooner.  

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I loved the documentary about the original 5 films that was included with the boxed set of dvds and narrated by Roddy McDowall (it was also shown on AMC). Must have come out in the late 90's? Worth watching if you've never seen it. 

Update: Behind the Planet of the Apes (1998)

Edited by Jonathan A. Dowdell on 25 November 2018 at 6:17am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

As most of you know, for me there is only one PLANET OF THE APES movie, and thatís the first one. So an extra level of delight lies in the fact that the book deals almost exclusively with that film.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Is this the Rinzler book? If so, it will go on the list. His books on the original Star Wars trilogy are must-read. Iím getting his Indiana Jones tome for Christmas. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Rinzler's books are incredible. It was a real shame that his prequel books were cancelled by Lucasfilm and that relationship ended on such a sour note.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Yeah, that's the one Brian.

...and to be Fraser Heston and get to be at the ranch during filming, color me green with envy!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Is this the Rinzler book? If so, it will go on the list. His books on the original Star Wars trilogy are must-read. Iím getting his Indiana Jones tome for Christmas. ++++++++++++

The Indy book is less comprehensive than the STAR WARS books--the former has four films' worth of history crammed into one book--but it's still a great read.The STAR WARS books are truly fantastic. And the remaining gaps (and occasional whitewashing of history) can be filled in with THE SECRET HISTORY OF STAR WARS and a few other such unofficial tomes. And I greatly look forward to the inevitable books--official or not--which dive into the massive trainwreck that is Disney STAR WARS.

Still haven't gotten 'round to ordering the APES book, yet. It's great to see so many of these definitive making-of books finally popping up. A few decades of hindsight and fan demand have resulted in some quality books.

I also need to grab the recent making-of book for Kubrick's 2001. I bought and (re)read the revised FUTURE NOIR: THE MAKING OF BLADE RUNNER book, just last year. And RETURN TO TOMORROW: THE FILMING OF STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE might just be the most thorough making-of I've ever read. Even if you hate the movie, its troubled production history is fascinating. The only downside is the lack of photos and production artwork. I'd love to see THE WRATH OF KHAN get a similar making-of treatment.

I know almost nothing about APES' production, so I look forward to the making-of. I just need more time and energy to read, dagnabbit! TOO MANY BOOKS! TOO MANY SHOWS AND MOVIES! TOO!!! MANY!!!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 25 November 2018 at 4:24pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

From what I understand, Greg, he wrote one for THE FORCE AWAKENS, but something happened and it was never released. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

From what I understand, Greg, he wrote one for THE FORCE AWAKENS, but something happened and it was never released.
++++++++++++++

This was my understanding, as well. I suspect that all was not well in Denmark even at that stage. I'm sure all the dirty laundry will come out, eventually. It'll be a mordbidly fascinating post-mortem. An object lesson in pop-cultural vandalism and a How-To for completely destroying the goodwill of a beloved and longstanding brand.

Of course, if anyone wishes to discuss DisneyWARS in a mature and rational fashion, I'd be more happy to, via e-mail. I can't bring myself to do it here, anymore. I'm been simultaneously enthralled and horrified over the past year. It's like watching a trainwreck in slow-motion, with the crew willfully and defiantly steering off of the tracks against all protests.

And I feel a certain smugness in that I've correctly predicted how a lot of it would go, over the past few years. I look forward to watching PLAN IX FROM HYPERSPACE underperform and/or bomb, next year. Abrams won't be able to save it. He's the King of The Hacks, and he helped get the franchise into this mess to begin with. I've waited a decade for Abrams to pay for what he did to STAR TREK, and being cemented as one of the people who killed STAR WARS seems fitting. Even if the cost is far too high.

{I]Anyway, I think I'll try and get to my APES rewatch (as well as reading the making-of) after my next few viewing projects are done. Maybe early next year. I'm eager to rewatch and deep-dive into the original. Brilliant film, and way ahead of its time.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Iím gonna ask for this book for my birthday in late January. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Read the book--found it in a second hand bookstore--long after I'd seen the movie. It let me realize that the things I enjoyed most about the story were probably Rod Serling's inventions and contributions more than Boulle's narrative.

Tell you, though, nothing hit my 10 year old self harder than that voiceover narration at the end of BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES. Freaked me out.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 26 November 2018 at 1:13pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 November 2018 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Sorry, momentarily confused BATTLE FOR with BENEATH, the first sequel.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2018 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Actress Kim Hunter speaks about the movies and the make-up: LINK.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I'm about tho thirds thru this interesting behind the scenes book.
Incredible research done down to the smallest details. I really enjoy reading the evolution of the script thru the different writers. Was surprised to read when the character name "Taylor" was finally installed.

I love this quote by director Schaffner;
"I don't much care for the self-conscious style of direction, which calls attention to itself with camera tricks and visual pyrotechnics at the expense of the plot and the characters. Simplicity may be the ultimate sophistication,"

Amen brother.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version