Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: When is a group not a group Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2019 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Worse for me is when a touring band may still be intact, but they drop a new album only for me to discover later that large chunks of it were played by session musicians filling in for some members and not the people whose faces are on the cover.  In that case, I feel cheated.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Deep Purple has had many lead singers. Is Ian Gillan the only "real" one? 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As far as I'm concerned, yes. 

Joe Lynn Turner was better in Rainbow and with Yngwie Malmsteen, David Coverdale in Whitesnake, and other than `Hush', which is actually a cover, I'm not a big fan of Rod Evans. And most of my favorite songs Ian Gillan not only sang but had a hand in the writing of.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I agree with what Brian said!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You're a wise man, Bill. :)

Also, there are certain groups that are dead to me, or would be, without certain members.

For instance, I know Dokken is named after its lead singer, but I refuse to listen to them without George Lynch in the lineup. And INXS should have disbanded after Michael Hutchinson committed suicide.

There are a lot of bands out there with bad choices for replacement singers, but there's a reason Judas Priest and Iron Maiden pretty much bombed when Halford and Dickinson left. (I'm not a fan of the Tim `Ripper' Owens version of Iced Earth, either....) Not a fan of Saliva without Josey Scott, or Drowning Pool with Jasen Moreno, their current vocalist. 

I wouldn't have been too thrilled if Def Leppard had chosen to replace Rick Allen with another drummer after he lost his arm. With one arm or two he's one of my top 5 favorite drummers, and even with only one, he's still a lot better than plenty of two armed drummers out there.

Van Halen could theoretically continue without Eddie or Alex, since Eddie's son Wolfgang replaced Michael Anthony in the band. But without Eddie, they'd be just a legacy band. And for the record, I said I liked Van Halen with DLR or Hagar, but I forgot to mention that I prefer them with DLR slightly more. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 14 April 2019 at 11:45pm

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm reminded of the Doors, who released two completely forgettable albums after Morrison died. Probably tough on the rest of the band when they want to continue but nobody cares after one member dies. 

Was never a fan of Michael Anthony of Van Halen but it has to suck when you see something like this...

Like you never existed. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, that sucks!Especially as Wolfgang is hardly THAT
slim! Michael Anthony added some great backing vocals in
the live situation, as DLR was never the best singer, he
was a good rhythm section with Alex too!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Now that's just plain being petty!

As for DLR, I wasn't a fan of his solo career. I can tolerate listening to Yankee Rose due to Steve Vai being on guitar, but that's about it. D LR has a certain swagger to his voice, and most of my favorite VH songs have him on vocals. I'd hate to see him try to cover any of the Hagar era songs....

But right now, I'll take Chickenfoot over Van Halen. Hagar, Satriani, and Anthony? Yes, please!

There was talk of a Pantera reunion with Zakk Wylde on guitar, and I am totally opposed to that happening. That band died for good when Dimebag was murdered, and his brother Vinnie Paul has since passed away. Zakk Wylde's guitar playing style works for Ozzy and his own band Black Label Society, but is far too grungy and muddy for Pantera. Plus, Phil Anselmo's voice is shot from him doing death metal style vocals. I watched a live performance a few years back on Youtube of him attempting to do Mouth For War, and it was not good. The idea of him singing Cowboys From Hell or Cemetary Gates just makes me cringe.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 15 April 2019 at 10:46am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Chickenfoot is done. Now itís The Circle. Sammy, Mikey, Jason Bonham and Samís guitar player no oneís never heard of. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Didn't know that.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I saw DLR on the 'Skyscraper' tour and Van Halen with Sammy on the 'Monsters of Rock' tour, which was the summer 'OU812' launched. The VH show was tremendous, even if it was basically a Sammy concert, but he's one of the great live performers and I liked those first two VH records with him. DLR's show, even with Vai and a really tight backing back, was pretty bad. Dave was always all style and no substance but other than the opening and the end, the entire middle of the show was a first rate bore. But, hey, he rode a surfboard across the arena, that was pretty cool. Poison opened the show and had a lot more going for them as a live act.

I did watch a bootleg of a VH concert from 1984 and it was absolutely terrible. Dave couldn't sing, the tempos were all over the place and no one was together, it was just this frantic mess of a performance with no groove. If someone told me they were all coked out of their minds, it would make perfect sense.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I saw Van Halen, Van Hagar and Roth live, i enjoyed all,
but as John said, DLR is more a frontman than a singer,
i saw him too on the A Little Ain`t Enough tour, without
Vai (Can`t remember who was on guitar) it was indeed
boring!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic