Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: BEHOLD GALACTUS! Hardcover Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After seeing the photo above, I pulled the trigger on the Behold Galactus book.  I knew it was big but seeing it standing next to the twice-up AEs made me feel like I had to have it.  
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I got one for the store it's the same size as the Kirby Monsters AE tat came out recently. I have to move the book around so the binding does not curve! one heck of a bargain for fifty bucks!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rob Ocelot wrote:
<sigh> Has anyone else given up making shelf space for Jim's AE vol. 2?

Never! That rose will someday bloom!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Those panels of Spider-Man and Silver Surfer? Entire issues of their titles devoted to those panels and what they did next.

•••

Because of the misleading way Chris chose to script that Surfer panel, many fans were disappointed when he didn’t show up in the next issue.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Count me among them, for sure. Based directly on those panels, I was anticipating how Jean Grey was going to be cured and saved. Who better than Dr. Strange, the Silver Surfer, and the Fantastic Four (and, er, Spider-Man), than to deal with the sudden appearance on earth of a Galactus-like entity?!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'll be picking this up when I get paid on Thursday. Thanks for the heads up, Stephen!

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow, just got it and that is one damn heavy book.   There's a rotating postal strike here in Canada so Chapters/Indigo sent it via UPS but I don't know if that was due to the strikes or the package weight combined with the awkward size.   I could not use the 'ship to retail store' function for this book -- a shame since they were offering a 10% discount promo off the top if you did that.

I have a feeling this will be a one-off, especially at this price and I heard they tried to raise the price after it was solicited but later relented and kept the original pricing.   Kind of weird for Marvel to mis-/under price a large volume like that since they've been steadily increasing the price of bigger hardcovers and softcovers for years now.   It almost seems like they originally intended only the Kirby or Kirby/Buscema material and changed their mind.

Seems the book more often than not shows up with damage too.   Just sitting or laying flat on a shelf seems to destroy it under it's own weight.  I'm not crazy about the glossiness of the paper but it's not entirely horrible.   It's just that with the book this size the pages with a lot of black tend to become mirrors in even a dimly-lit room.   That's not usually a problem with AEs and the like where the pages are mostly lighter coloured (unless you're Frank Miller).

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 17 November 2018 at 8:23am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can't imagine the costs to Marvel were very high. After all, aside from royalties, which would be quite low, they only had to pay for the printing. All the art was done long ago. (Including mine -- choke)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 3:14am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That brings up something I've been curious about.  Doesn't a lot of computer work need to be done to re-prep old art (for which there are no digital files) and even re-do the coloring for reprints from the 60's and 70's (at least)?  Those costs can really add up.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 18 November 2018 at 3:35am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It doesn't look to me as if anything was done for this volume that hadn't been done for previous reprints. In some ways, this book is like the latest DVD edition of some movie, that uses a version prepared years and even decades before.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I finally had the chance to see this book in person. Huge! The physical size to this had me remembering what it was like when I saw and held my first Marvel Treasury Edition The Fabulous Fantastic Four.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2018 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Got mine yesterday. It's SO DAMN COOL!
I got what I consider to be a screaming deal at my new favorite trade site In Stock Trades.

I leafed through a few pages today KIRBY in all his glory, then wham BUSCEMA in all HIS glory and then BAM JB in all HIS glory! It's really a delight.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version