Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: What team ups would fit Star Trek best? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We've been discussing Star Trek crossing over with other properties - especially super heroes - and I was "commanded" to put up a topic for such.

Let's talk about other comic book properties that could match up well with the Star Trek properties, just 'cause. I personally think that you have to hit the context and parameters properly without overpowering or underpowering either side. 

For instance - in MY opinion, Star Trek wouldn't cross over well with Lost in Space. 
"Professor Robinson, how long have you been off course?" 
"Almost three years, Captain Kirk. Can you help us?" 
"Certainly, Professor. Tractor beam, lock on to the Jupiter II. Warp 4 to the Centauri system, Mr. Sulu. And top impulse to the planet their robot identified to us - ah, there it is. Anything else we can do for you, Professor?"
"It took you three minutes???"
"Yes. Sorry it took so long, but we wanted to verify that our tractor beam had a good grip on you."

That's not a crossover; that's a really cool commercial. Same for...

"Captain Picard, is that the Borg master vessel giving you so much trouble?"
"Yes, Kal-El. Do you think you and your cousin can do anyth- where did they go?"
"Captain Picard the configuration of the Borg ship has changed. It is now spherical."
"Yes, Mr. Data, I can see that. I- Kal-El! What happened?"
"We have a code against killing. Luckily, the program driving the Borg was very similar to one that controlled our weather satellites on Krypton, so we were able to reprogram it. From now on, they will no longer kidnap anyone. Instead, they will restore their victims and return them to their planets."

One other qualifier - no Star Trek Discovery. Why? Because what little I saw of it turned me off. You want to do STD - be my guest at Pallisades Park.* In another topic.

My team-up idea was ST:TOS and the Fantastic Four. The Enterprise was dispatched into the past by the Klingons, before the Organian Peace Treaty. In an attempt to get anti-matter for the Enterprise, a portal to the Negative Zone lets Blastaar through. And at the end, Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy, and Ben Grimm (reverted to human form temporarily by the transporter) are about to be tortured by the Klingons when Ben asks, "Hey, you Klingalls, whatever ya call yerselves. Ya got any clocks on this here ship? Timepieces, chronomters, whatever?"
"Of course, you idiot human!"
"Well, it's time fer ya ta update 'em. 'Cause guess what time it is?"

I'm really happy with the fanfic I wrote for that.

So give me your ideas. Maybe two or three with some explanation.

*Free parking with this coupon.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 09 November 2018 at 7:13pm
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think Star Trek could work with a Green Lantern type of cross over.  Enterprise meets an incredibly powerful individual who claims to be part of a bigger galaxy wide police force that The Federation has never heard of.  GL and Enterprise crew are at odds over what to do about some crucial issue, e.g., fugitive that is leading a rebellion, or a planet with pre industrial inhabitants that will soon have an ecosystem disaster they can't see coming.  

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A fun topic and example, Eric. I like those moments you imagined, whether you thought they worked as Star Trek or not. Theoretically, any story can be made too easy to be bothered with writing. Early in GONE WITH THE WIND, a lot would resolved if Scarlett simply says, "Captain Butler, wait. One of the Tarleton Twins just said something that made me think. Perhaps it is time I grew up a little and took a look at the world around me. If a war is coming, I want to be prepared to do my part. Let's talk, shall we?"
"Talk, Scarlett? Are you sure this isn't a conversation you wouldn't rather have with your beloved Ashley Wilkes?"
"Ashley. What an idiot I've made of myself over him. For years. Well, forget him. He's with Melanie now, more fool he. You're low class, Captain Butler. Trash, really. But you seem to know a lot about this war you say is coming. If you can conduct your discussions along that topic, for now at least, who knows what might develop later...? Do you think you can do that? Behave yourself? For a little while at least?"
"With you, Scarlett? I doubt it."
"Well, try, Captain. If not for my sake, then for the sake of this plantation and all those living on it whom I just realized are the most important things in the world to me. Don't you have anything that you care about? Anything about which you give a damn?"
"Frankly, my dear..."

"What If... Scarlett O'Hara Gave A Damn About Something Other Than Herself?" GWTW fan fiction! Okay, that has to actually be a thing somewhere...

Star Trek, even in the examples you cite, can be complicated via story inversions and plot convolusions. "Warning, this is a plot complication. Warning, this is a plot complication." 
"Plot complication showing up on ship's sensors now, Captain..."
Dr. Smith can sabotage the tractor beam rescue and attempt to take over the 23rd Century starship for his own purposes. To this end, he places a device inside the robot which goes off in Engineering. It is designed to negate the ship's power while he sneaks aboard to install some mechanisms that will allow him to negotiate for control of the ship and return to Earth with it for his masters. Unfortunately, as with every plan Smith's ever had, something goes wrong, and the device instead sends the ship into momentary hyper-warp while shorting out the drive and navigational systems. Professor Smith must be rescued along with many others on board while Kirk and Spock realize they have no way home and no way of determining their position. Both the Enterprise and the Jupiter 2 are now... Lost In Space...*

And as far as Superman goes, if the Dark Horse Superman vs. Aliens series can exist without him simply mopping up the nest of acidic, biting things and leaving a big billboard in orbit around the planet warning everyone to steer clear, I'm sure something can be done to keep things interesting when he meets the crew of the Enterprise. In the other thread, I think it was Robbie who posited that Superman would be aboard the ship in a section of space dominated by red suns and so wouldn't have his powers**. Also worth noting, the Trek crew has already met the god Apollo and Gladiator from the Imperial Guard. ("Did he just punch my ship?") Trelayne is practically Mxyzptlk, and they went up against him. Nothing's completely off the table, I think, if you work at it.

I really do like the idea of Ben Grimm on the Enterprise and the transporter being the key to reversing his condition. That is golden!

I'll give some thought as to what I think the best possible crossovers might be. I'm sure I'll overlook something that I'll regret later. 

* Smith can even try calling Spock a "Beelzebub-headed booby" at some point.
** Nope. Just checked. It was you!

Edited by Brian Hague on 09 November 2018 at 9:28pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 3:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Enjoying all the ideas so far.

The multiverse is a big help for me when thinking of ideas. For instance, the history of Earth in PLANET OF THE APES is different to the history of Earth in STAR TREK. How to reconcile the two? Different universe. I love it!

And that's why I'd like to see IDW (if they could get the license) have SPACE: 1999 meet STAR TREK. Given the different history of Earth in both franchises, we'd be looking at the multiverse again, but the Enterprise on Moonbase Alpha, and possibly battling the Klingons, might be fun.

I'd set it during the TOS era as I think the bright colours of TOS might provide a nice contrast to the bleaker colours in the first season of SPACE: 1999.

Comics-wise, I think seeing the TNG crew encounter Galactus would be fun. And what could Galactus do against the Q Continuum? Irresistible force meeting an immovable object? Is Galactus more powerful than the Continuum? Or are they more powerful than he is?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robbie, perhaps you'd consider this...

"Captain Picard, Galactus has reached quadrant 0,0,0 and is beginning to assemble his converter."
"Blast it! Our only chance us to try to find something on that ship of his to counter him! Riker, Geordi, Data, you're on the away team . Go, now. Ensign Knight, target that device, and prepare to blow it to pieces! At will!"
"Captain... Captain, I can sense nothing in him that can be used... only an insatiable hunger."
Picard sighed and answered, "Thank you, Counselor. Dr. Crusher, any updates on addressing this hunger?"
"Captain, I'm not even sure that it technically IS hunger. We're working on it, but-"
Worf interrupted, "Captain! Intruder alert on shuttle deck! It seems about four foot tall, nearly as wide, and humanoid in form!"
A voice rang in everyone's heads. "YOU HAVE INTERFERED WITH THE PROCESS. YOU MUST BE PUNISHED."
Mr. Worf barked into the communicator, "Security, meet me in main shuttle deck, now!"
A dozen strategems raced through Picard's mind, but none of them seemed effective. For every plan, this Galactus just seemed too powerful.
"Mmm, yes, Jeanny, it is difficult, isn't it?" a nagging voice whispered in his ear.

With a sudden flash, Ryker, Data, LaForge, and Worf were back on the bridge. The viewscreen showed Earth's orbit clear. And Q was strolling... almost mincing... around the away team. "Now aren't you boys glad I brought you back before I dispatched Galactus' ship? And have you there, Da-duh?" Q examined a small handheld device in the android's hand,. "An Ultimate Nullifer! Do they still MAKE those? Ah, and Worf. Just look at you, on rear feet and all."
"Q. I might have known you would be behind this," Picard fairly snarled.
"Oh, not me, mon Capitaine. Not this time. No, I actually helped you this time. Just the good part of me, I suppose."
Ryker answered, "YOU have a good side?"
Worf muttered in response, "You have to travel to Rigerl, and then travel 10,000 light years toward galactic center to find it."
Q turned to him. "You see, Worf? I knew a new flea soap would be helpful to you."
He continued, "No, Captain Picard. Hold on to your hats." And with a snap, the Enterprise was flung across thousands of light years.
As everyone grabbed off the hats that had appeared on their hats (except Data, of course), Q said, "Here is Galactus. And here is the Borg home system.
The Devourer of Worlds was triggering his elemental converter, as hundreds of thousands of Borg attacked, to no effect.
"There you are. The Borg regenerate quickly enough to rebuild their worlds, and Galactus will continue to devour them. All neatly tied up."
Geordi answered, "But... but those are the Borg. Sooner or later, they'll start assimilating tech from that worldship."
With a sinister grin, Q turned back to them all. "That's right. This is not a solution. This is a reprieve. How good IS your Starfleet, Picard? Sometime soon, you'll find out. And then, finally, you'll be out of my hair."
Another deafeaning snap, another flood of hats, and the Enterprise-D was in orbit around Earth. "With friends like that..." Ryker grumbled.
"Still, Number One, he did buy us some time. We must make good use of it. What are you thinking, Mr. Data?"
The android held up the device that the away team had been led to on Galactus' ship. "That tall, bald humanoid seemed to think that the key was this..."

One possibility, of course.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Perfect, Eric. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As I've noted in the past, I'd also love to see a TREK/Fantastic Four crossover, with Kirk making a big Kirk Speech to Galactus. Or maybe Doctor Doom!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I would have liked to have seen a TREK / ULTRAMAN crossover, since both franchises have been around since 1966.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's hard to get a match up for Star Trek because it's something rather of an ensemble show with normal people, despite aliens of every nature. So Star Trek and the Justice League of America or the Avengers could very easily lose one group or another, depending on emphasis.

I personally have my ST/FF fanfic (and my "someday I will" piece with the Thing, the Vision, and the Scarlet Witch trying to rescue a Borg-ized Captain America, set on the Enterprise-D) so I am completely in favor of such a crossover.

I think the crossover with Space:1999 would work terrifically. I can understand how ST/Planet of the Apes would work, because the two franchises are SO different from each other. 

Are there others that might work of that genre - SF & SF? Could we get a good story out of Star Trek / Logan's Run? "Mr. Crusher, we're going to need your help on this."

Maybe a real out-there team-up.... the Phantom Stranger and Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln.

I feel that a really good match up would be Star Trek TOS and S.H.I.E.L.D. The technology is pretty close, there are very obviously two "starring" roles who are still extremely different. One good villain and I think it could be a delight... "Col. Fury! Count Nefaria is shoving that other space craft right at our space platform!"

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"I would have liked to have seen a TREK / ULTRAMAN crossover..."

Me too Bill!!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm thinking of STAR TREK and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

MOTU successfully meshed sci-fi and fantasy. To a lesser extent - a much lesser extent - STAR TREK did the same (I know it was 95% or 99% sci-fi).

But I could see it work. Skeletor could form an alliance - a loose alliance - with the Klingons as Kirk and crew land on Eternia.  

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Star Trek and Space Ghost with the Herculoids has a definite Saturday morning appeal for me. If it could somehow have been done live-action at the time, that would have been the best thing ever ever ever. :-) Maybe with Ted Cassidy as Space Ghost and Chuck Connors as Zandor.

From a certain point-of-view, Hanna Barbera did tackle their own version of Star Trek with their Galaxy Trio concept. 

The idea that's held the most appeal for me so far that I've been able to come up with is Star Trek meets Space Cabbie. Returning from shore leave in Space Cabbie's cab #7433, Kirk is surprised to see the Enterprise suddenly leave orbit without him and orders Cabbie to pursue. He is unable to reach anyone on board, and loses the ship when pulls into orbit around a certain planet, stops there for a brief time, and then slingshots around that world's sun off to who knows where. Kirk and Cabbie, who is a former space corps fighter pilot and secret agent, investigate the planet and try to figure out what's going on and what's been done with the Enterprise. Guest-starring Robert Culp as Space Cabbie.

I am really enjoying the effort that folks have put in on this thread. Gentlemen, your work today has been outstanding, and I intend to recommend you all for promotion... in whatever fleet we end up serving.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Here's one that just hit me as I was scanning the bookshelves... Kirk investigates when members of his crew are found brutally murdered in various parts of the ship. Each of the deaths seems bizarrely pre-meditated and centered thematically around some incident from their past. Checking their histories, Spock finds that the slain crewmen are aboard the Enterprise under assumed identities. Each is a wanted criminal in hiding from whatever force is slaying them. Evidently someone or something has found them and is exacting vengeance. There are only two criminals left and it's Kirk's unfortunate duty to protect these stowaways from whatever it is that is trying to kill them. 

A shuttle arrives from a nearby Starbase with a security man aboard who has been ordered to take command of the investigation, Commodore Jim Corrigan. Spock is unable to corroborate many of the elements from his story as well, and Kirk is not about to hand his prisoners over to someone who could potentially be their executioner. Conflict ensues and the Spectre manifests, demanding complete control of the ship to take these creatures of evil to the place of their original crime, a burned-out colony on a far-off world, where he will mete out judgement in accordance with their sins. 

"On what authority?" Kirk wants to know. 

To which the Spectre responds that his is the Ultimate Authority, that of the Maker of All Things himself. He will take the ship and the lives of these scurrilous thugs.

Prompting Kirk to ask, "What does God's right-hand man need with a spaceship?"

Written by Michael Fleisher and illustrated by Jim Aparo.

Edited by Brian Hague on 16 November 2018 at 12:03am

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Kirk, Spock, Mccoy and some redshirts beam down to a
planet that has a Federation outpost which has gone
silent.
It seems the outpost crew was hunted down by some sort
of Predator which has collected their skulls as
trophies.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2018 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"All right. We take off. Nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure..."

Ah, if only it were that easy. Trek would recognize the Predators sentience and just try to somehow keep others from visiting their worlds. How did Voyager deal with the Hirogen? Weren't they basically low-rent Predators?

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2018 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The Enterprise receives an unknown transmission and is ordered to investigate. They find the Battlestar Galactica and her fleet in their search for Earth.

Would aiding the fleet in their war against the Cylons be a violation of the Prime Directive?

Would Earth and the Federation unanimously welcome the fleet? Or would there be resistance by some who don't want to court a war with a new enemy?

Considering the current political climate regarding immigrants, refugees, caravans, etc., I think it would be an interesting tale to tell.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Brandon, I like the way in which that idea mirrors our current situation with immigrants. Nicely observed, sir, and right up Star Trek's alley.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version