Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Star Trek & Crisis On Infinite Earths Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'd certainly like to see The Borg VS Ego the Living Planet! 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Looking about on-line, apparently the Star Trek/X-Men crossover from '96 was the first time Trek's IP officially crossed over with another. That seems extraordinary, given the franchise's popularity. No guest-starring role on Scooby-Doo? No appearance on The Brady Kids? No novel in which a man with a blue box appears in Engineering and offers Mr. Scott a Jelly Baby? 

We're getting those sorts of things now, with increasing frequency, but it is a bit jarring to think Trek steered away from them for so long. Star Wars is still going strong all on its own, apparently, with no such "crossing of the streams." (Venkman, Spengler, and Stanz vs. the Force Ghosts... Hmm...) 

Eric, I enjoyed all of those premises you came up with above, even the GL one which it seems must have occurred by now, given that the idea has had two series devoted to it. Good job with the Stark-engineered Enterprise suit as well. I suspect that Kirk would be no more sanguine with that development than he was with the M-5. And the idea of a non-powered Superman whose value is in what he knows and how to go about achieving the impossible is a solid win. Setting him in among one of my favorite casts? I'd enjoy the stuffings out of that. 

Robbie, somewhere on-line there are images of a Borg-ified Galactus that I remember finding fannish-ly impressive when I first saw them.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have seen that image, Brian. Years ago, I think.

This topic has conveyed to me how superhero crossovers can work. I can't picture Batman on the Enterprise, but I can certainly envision the cosmic and super-powered characters working well.

And, guys, if you haven't read STAR TREK/PLANET OF THE APES, give it a go!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There was the Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes crossover, where the Legionnaires involved were Brainiac 5, Chameleon Boy, Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, and Shadow Lass. Obviously, the crossover had to be finely tuned so that the Legionnaires contributed significantly (so probably Bouncing Boy, Duo Damsel, Dream Girl, and Shrinking Violet might not have been the best choices) without dominating the story (thus, any team with Element Lad, Mon-El, Supergirl, and/or Wildfire would also have been a little unwieldy.)

I might start a Star Trek team up topic, unless anyone knows of one such already...?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Make it so, Mr Sofer. ;-)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Aye aye, sir.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

IDW made a STAR TREK/PLANET OF THE APES crossover work.

I honestly don't think they did make it work. They gave us a retread of A Private Little War with apes thrown in. While it was fun seeing Spock and Cornelius together in a panel, the story itself didn't hold up at all well, especially from the point of view of Taylor - just too many impossibilities piled up on one another to make it credible. There was no way I could believe that the events of this story could have taken place between POTA and Beneath (I'd say more but - spoilers). From the Star Trek side there were several things that really made me grit my teeth, especially at the end of the story (again, spoilers). The only good thing I can say about The Primate Directive was that I liked the artwork.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Each to their own, of course. ;-)

I like it because, to my surprise, it felt organic. It felt like an "episode" of TOS or a POTA mini-movie. It felt like it slotted in perfectly while protecting the integrity of both franchises.

And I did quite like the ending. It did make me smile.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I hated the 'let's blame Kirk for (spoiler), he was such a screw-up merchant after all' fan-boy mentality behind the ending. Mind you, before that, the destruction of the...'thing' (trying not to spoil this for anyone) was so off it might have come from the Gold Key Star Trek comics - surely the Federation would have wanted to study and understand its purpose. And would Taylor really not have... (spoiler)? Sorry, no, far from being organic The Primate Directive was just plain lazy and full of plot holes.

Robbie my friend, we must agree to differ on this one. A lot.  :-)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hey, that's fine! :-)

And good. It's nice there is entertainment for everyone. At a recent book club (which often discusses films), I mentioned how I just don't "get" AVATAR despite its many fans. People see things differently.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version