Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Primetime’s Most Ridiculous Premise? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apparently the series GOD FRIENDED ME, which airs on CBS, is a solid performer this season.  The title alone put me off, but I just checked iMDB to see the log line.  This is it:

An atheist's life is turned upside down when God adds him as a friend on Facebook.

This could, on its face, be fun and/or funny.  There's a great Twitter feed by "God" that is hilarious.  Reading episode synopsis, however, this is not that show.  

Putting that aside, I have to wonder how fragile this so-called atheist is in their beliefs that being friended by "God" on social media upends their world.  Wouldn't it also open up questions that if this really is "God" why does he takes time to friend and interact with a single atheist while a hundred other natural disasters are occurring at the same time in which "he" could intervene but chooses not to? 

It's a CBS series, so you get what you tune into which is why it was a "hard pass" from me from the jump.  But if you're a fan, how much of your intelligence do you have to shove to the side to enjoy it? 
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wow. That sounds dumb. We need to bring back intellectual sitcoms, like Get A Life.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

GOD FRIENDED ME isn't a sitcom if you can believe it.  It's an hour-long show.  Think more TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL than LIVING BIBLICALLY (yes, that was a series).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You`ll be telling me next, that those Russian models and
African princes who try to friend me on social media are
real!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

More or less ridiculous than My Mother The Car, do you think?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A step up from a burning bush, I suppose.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just the other night I watched with my 10 year old boy the debut episode of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," and -- not having seen it in over forty years -- I was prepared to scoff at the concept, presuming that nostalgia couldn't be trusted (I loved this show as a kid). And yet... it was good. At least in that pilot, nobody was over-the-top and nobody was self-consciously ironic. There was a pure sincerity in the execution of the premise that simply worked. Pleasantly surprised.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They had a burning bush in the first episode! (I watched out of curiosity, but the characters just didn't appeal to me).

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just the other night I watched with my 10 year old boy the debut episode of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," and -- not having seen it in over forty years -- I was prepared to scoff at the concept, presuming that nostalgia couldn't be trusted (I loved this show as a kid). And yet... it was good. At least in that pilot, nobody was over-the-top and nobody was self-consciously ironic. There was a pure sincerity in the execution of the premise that simply worked. Pleasantly surprised.

••

The one thing I most clearly remember about THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR was that the kids were real kids. Compare to FAMILY AFFAIR. If Jody broke a window, we knew we'd find out he was trying to save somebody from a fire. If Jonathan broke a window, he broke a window.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Something I've been noticing lately, watching old sci-fi movies and TV shows, is the casual way the characters reference evolution as a certainty. Can't imagine such a thing today, in the climate of fear that dominates this Nation.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mr Byrne, we need to find a way to prove Satan didn't create those dinosaur bones!

As for the premise of this series, I can imagine enjoying it as as segment on a sketch show (are they called sketch shows in the US?), but as a series? Not so sure.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Then riddle me this. There have been a couple of movies and TV shows where the Devil has been an actual character. I think "Lucifer" is still on Netflix or some such.

Why doesn't God get equal time? "God Friended Me" seems a pale and pallid attempt. Why not have God as a main character on Earth to observe things and subtly change matters? After all, if the Nemesis gets a show, God should get equal time!

If you accept The Book, you have to accept all of it! What's that - the devil is never mentioned in the Bible? Ohhh....

But why not a God or Jesus show? Blasphemous? What true believer would NOT watch such a show? And as we all know, TV producers have no souls, so as long as it gets ratings, it'll get on the air?

If done in a serious tone, wouldn't "The Jesus Chronicles" OWN its time slot?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Didn`t we have Jesus of Nazareth in the 70`s?

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

CBS seems to have a prolonged interest in getting a successful show with overtly religious themes. This year it's the God Friended Me show. Last year it was Living Biblically. Which was about a guy who tried to follow the Bible as much as humanly possible. I never watched so I have no idea how many stoning jokes there were or other biblical esoterica showed up.

I doubt they'll be doing any Islam-centered shows any time soon. That'd be too radical for American screens.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I miss JOAN OF ARCADIA. And WONDERFALLS.

GOD FRIENDED ME doesn't interest me.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I also miss HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN. I thought TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL was preachy crap.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Been a while since I’ve watched it, but I wouldn’t put WONDERFALLS in this category.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Something I've been noticing lately, watching old sci-fi movies and TV shows, is the casual way the characters reference evolution as a certainty. Can't imagine such a thing today, in the climate of fear that dominates this Nation.

A few weeks ago I watched THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, and it was interesting to note how, immediately post-WW 2, Americans were so open to scientific and technological innovation/efficiency, and yet also so keenly aware of the potential misuse of the same -- yet, never explicitly in anything else but human terms. The "blessings" or "curses" of science were only metaphors for our own altruistic ambitions versus our frightening weaknesses.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'm enjoying GOD FRIENDED ME.  To me, it feels a lot like EARLY EDITION combined with HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN.

All the characters are likable and you really want to see them succeed in what they're doing.  The premise really is no more absurd than, say, a plane that reappears after missing for 5 years. 

Whether you believe in God or not (I don't), it's still a good show.  Plus the lead character doesn't know what's going, but he's wiling to help people if he can and he's still a firm atheist (so far).

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The 'skeptical/non-believer character finds out the supernatural is real' is one of my least favorite cliches in movies/tv. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The lead actor's thankfully short lived ABC series THE MAYOR was just as ridiculous a premise. 

Also, COP ROCK and the already mentioned MY MOTHER THE CAR.  Even more ridiculous. 

This show is sort of EARLY EDITION combined with TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL...without the actual angels.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

How about a series about atheists that show us to have no need for faith based nonsense in order to be decent, moral people? A series where people accept responsibility for their lives without invoking an invisible tyrant in the sky?

We could call it NO EXCUSES.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
I also miss HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN.

Has to be an age thing.  I am always and forever a huge Michael Landon fan dating back to BONAZA but mostly because of LITTLE HOUSE.  But I was a kid in the 70s.  By the time HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN premiered, I was a senior in high school and couldn't be bothered.  I've since tried to watch a few episodes and, sorry, they're painful.  Even thirty-four years ago when I was a "believer" it was hard to swallow.  Now as a nonbeliever it's just unwatchable no matter the obvious chemistry between Landon and Victor French. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I’d be afraid to watch it with adult eyes and ruin my childhood nostalgia. LITTLE HOUSE still holds up whenever I’ve caught a random episode. We’re on the same page with regard to TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL being preachy crap though?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Oh yeah.  TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL is total preachy crap.  A show that tried (and succeeded by longevity standards) being a Michael Landon series without Landon.  

I've revisited LITTLE HOUSE quite often and, aside from the incredibly slow pacing of pre-90s dramatic series, it still holds up incredibly well.  I'm also not ashamed to admit that I've been to the Big Sky Ranch here in SoCal where it was filmed no less than three times.  I might have also run down the same hill as Laura did in the opening credits.  

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version