Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Primetime’s Most Ridiculous Premise? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can tell you that actual religious people think its dreck and scoff at stuff like God Friended Me and Touched by an Angel.  So somewhere between atheists and serious religious believers there must be some vaguely religiously sentimental mushy middle that watches this stuff.

Call us the mushy middle. My wife wanted to check out God Friended Me. We've been watching it together. It's not bad. The main character remains a skeptic, so far. He and his friends are chalking up the "God Account" to some technical wiz, and yet, many of the things that have happened to this point in the show have been linked. Coincidence? Some computer mastermind? God?  They're leaving it open, for now. 

I don't think you have to necessarily believe in the existence of God to enjoy a show based on it.  How many of us really believe there are super-strong dudes that fly around fighting similar dudes and saving people?  Does believing there's not such a thing ruin our enjoyment of that genre of entertainment?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 08 November 2018 at 10:12pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Problem with your premise is that we can all agree there aren't superheroes roaming the earth.  However, certain people do contend that "god" talks to them, many in high profile positions (::cough::Mike Pence::cough).  I'd say they are both loons, but many believe the later that laugh at the former.  

To the point of the thread, GOD FRIENDED ME feeds into the Millenium-old concept of "god" speaking to an individual person, as if he/she/it takes time out of their day to converse with an individual to work small "miracles". 
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Off the top of my head,

HOLMES AND YOYO.  

I remember watching that as a kid and thinking it was stupid.   In hindsight it's perhaps not as ridiculous a concept when you realize they've been trying out the same premise in various forms for more than 40 years: FUTURE COP/COPS AND ROBIN, MANN & MACHINE, ALMOST HUMAN, (probably missing a score of others)   I'm sure they will try again.  The only one that seemed to be any sort of success was ROBOCOP, but not on television.   That first attempt as a comedy though.... wow, stinky.

Of course there are plenty of series that on paper seem ridiculous but end up working in practice because the players involved play it straight with a sense of verisimilitude.  ALF is probably the best example of a show that should not have worked and should not have lasted.   HITCH-HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY was on shaky ground when it moved to television because much of it was written as radio gags that weren't meant to be seen (eg, Zaphod's extra head and arms) but they seemed to have pulled it off.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 15 November 2018 at 9:20am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version