Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Small Screen To Cinema Screen Via Animation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Original STAR TREK and THE ADDAMS FAMILY started off as live-action shows, "migrated" to animation - and then went to the big screen.

Were there any other shows that started off as live action, "migrated" to animation and then headed to the big screen?
Back to Top profile | search

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE BRADY BUNCH?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

DENNIS THE MENACE

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If we count the 1950's / 1960's as a starting point, then:

Batman

Superman

(These might be disqualified since Batman initially appeared as a Serial in the 40's; Superman started off as a cartoon, became a serial, then a TV show, then cartoons, then onto the big screen (again).

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DENNIS started as a live-action series?

One learns something new every day. Thanks, Doug! 

And THE BRADY BUNCH, too. Thanks, Tim.

Phil, I hereby disqualify you. 

*Rings the disqualification buzzer*

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE A-TEAM, I believe, meets your criteria, appearing as a syndicated cartoon and then journeying to the big screen. 

THE DUKES OF HAZZARD did the same, appearing on Saturday Mornings as THE DUKES and then theatres starring Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott. 

MY FAVORITE MARTIAN had an animated spin-off in 1973 and a feature film in 1999.

BEWITCHED, which featured an animated opening segment, guest-starred on THE FLINTSTONES, had an animated spin-off segment on a 70's-era prime time special featuring Darrin and Samantha's kids, Tabitha and Adam; and then moved to the big screen in 2005.

I DREAM OF JEANNIE started as live-action, gained a Saturday Morning adaptation apparently featuring a different, red-haired Jeannie  (working for a master voiced by Mark Hamill), became a couple of reunion TV movies, and then Jeannie herself cameo'ed in the second BRADY BUNCH film.

LOST IN SPACE has similarities to the Gold Key comic SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, which had been optioned for TV while Irwin Allen was developing his series. The connection between the two is debated, but LIS differs in enough respects to say it "debuted" on television before moving to animation and then a motion picture.

Properties such as THE ODD COUPLE, GIDGET, THE MUNSTERS, ROBOCOP, THE MUPPETS, SWAMP THING, THUNDERBIRDS, and STARGATE have spanned all three platforms, albeit not in the order you're requesting. 

The 80's sitcom ALF went to Saturday Morning and has been rumored to be in development as a motion picture. Nothing yet on that front.

DICK TRACY is similar to the examples Phil listed in that it began as a comic strip, moved to the serials, then television, then TV animation, and then the big screen. But hey, I'm not looking to get disqualified here. 

You only want TV properties that were relegated to Saturday mornings and then moved to the big screen right?

Well, I'm sorry, but THE ADDAMS FAMILY started as a series of cartoons in The New Yorker and not a TV show. So, you're disqualified, Robbie. *Hits the buzzer. Pulls the trap door lever...*

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I hope the trap door lever doesn't lead to anywhere nasty. ;-)

But, thanks, Brian. I'd forgotten about some of these. And, you know, although I requested a certain order in the initial post, I think it's fun to discuss the routes taken by various properties, whatever the order.

I was thinking the other day about adult properties that started off as movies, but became cartoons. TEEN WOLF, ROBOCOP and RAMBO come to mind. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

STARGATE did it backwards: Film, TV, then (failed) animation.

DOCTOR WHO skipped a step and created it's own new steps in the process:
TV, film, stage plays, almost-animated series, audio plays and back to TV again.   They keep threatening to go big screen again too.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Live action TV to animation to motion pictures, huh? Well, Brian H. sure ran a great list of 'em. Let's see if I can think of any others.

The Three Stooges were animated for a brief time by Hanna-Barbera. While they weren't created for TV, they did appear there... and I don't think their original two-reelers quite qualify as movies, although definitely as Big Screen.

So the same applies to Our Gang/Little Rascals.

Same for the Lone Ranger, Zorro, Tarzan...

For a hell of a stretch, can I count the Honeymooners to the Flintstones to the Honeymooners? Yeah, I wasn't sure either.

I want to mention the Ghostbusters - originally a TV series on Saturday mornings. But I'm not sure if the timing works between animated and movie. Well, certainly if I count Ghostbusters II, or the newer female Ghostbusters, it works.

Another longshot, due to sequels and ignorance... James Bond first appeared in a TV drama. Then came the animated James Bond Jr. - did his father appear? And then of course, we got dozens of Bond films after the cartoon.

Using that rationale, if we count the Star Wars Christmas Special, then Star Wars counts too. Yes, I know... NO ONE wants to count the Star Wars Christmas Special! :D

Flash Gordon was in a 50s TV series; then the Filmation animated show; and then at least one movie after that. At least, I think the timing works on that one.

I guess if you're willing to allow timing down to the second, we can count Fat Albert. If you watched the show (I did), Bill Cosby appeared first in live introductions on the show; then he appeared as a much younger Bill in the cartoons. And then Fat Albert hit the big screen.

There might be more, but I feel like I plumbed my depths on this one.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I want to mention the Ghostbusters - originally a TV series on Saturday mornings. But I'm not sure if the timing works between animated and movie. Well, certainly if I count Ghostbusters II, or the newer female Ghostbusters, it works.

Only if you mix and match the Filmation version (both with live action and animated) with the better-known property. :-)

Using that rationale, if we count the Star Wars Christmas Special, then Star Wars counts too. Yes, I know... NO ONE wants to count the Star Wars Christmas Special! :D

If you need some TV and animation 'glue' there's also the live action Ewok films (technically TV movies) and the Droids/Ewoks animated series -- all of these are post-JEDI but I'm pretty sure the Ewok movies came first, then the animated series and then PHANTOM MENACE. :-)

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

*Shazam might qualify, with the 70's live-action series, followed by Filmation's cartoons (plus an animated appearance in JLU), and now a big screen treatment.

*I'm trying to think of any Marvel properties that might have appeared in live-action TV form first and I'm coming up blank except for Doctor Strange -- but he has no specific animated vehicle between his TV movie and big screen film other than some animated guest spots (eg. 90's SPIDER-MAN).  

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I thought I had one in MR BEAN but the order is wrong: live action series, film and then animation.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
...DENNIS started as a live-action series?

One learns something new every day...

No, Dennis The Menace (U.S. version) did NOT start as a live-action TV series. It started as a comic strip, then became a live-action series, then a movie.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
The Three Stooges were animated for a brief time by Hanna-Barbera. While they weren't created for TV, they did appear there... and I don't think their original two-reelers quite qualify as movies, although definitely as Big Screen.

So the same applies to Our Gang/Little Rascals.

Okay, this above and a few other examples people are citing above shows my following the strict "Live-action TV to animation to movie screen" is troublesome.

For example, both The Three Stooges and Our Gang (AKA, The Little Rascals) had film shorts, and both properties DID appear in full-length films before television as we know it. The Stooges were stars in a full-length film in 1930, and Our Gang had "General Spanky" in 1936.

The Three Stooges did appear on TV, and their animated series in the 1960s included live-action segments, but they never specifically had a live-action TV series. Neither, Our Gang/The Little Rascals. Those "episodes" we watched on TV as kids were the theatrical movie shorts being syndicated for television.

Instead of being sticklers about what order they appeared in, I think it would be more sensible to name a property that crossed over into all three mediums.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 29 October 2018 at 1:25pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Phil wrote:
...These might be disqualified since Batman initially appeared as a Serial in the 40's; Superman started off as a cartoon, became a serial, then a TV show, then cartoons, then onto the big screen (again)...

See, here again is where it gets complicated:

Superman appeared in comics, then newspaper strips, then radio, then animation, then movie serials, THEN full-length film ("Mole Men"), then the Reeves TV series, then animation again, then the 1978 movie, and so on...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

"I want to mention the Ghostbusters - originally a TV series on Saturday mornings."

Different properties that share a name. The "Ghostbusters" most know and love began as a feature film.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I think it would be more sensible to name a property that crossed over into all three mediums. 

I'll add PLANET OF THE APES to the list then.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It might be worth noting that the original 1975 live-action series with Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker was called "The Ghost Busters" and only became "Ghostbusters" in 1986 when it went to animation. 

Also, for what its worth, the property currently known as "Shazam" started in comics. It was on the big screen as a 12-chapter Republic serial before moving to television, animation, and then, soon, back to the big screen.

I am enjoying how many examples folks here have been able to find of this sort of thing.

Edited by Brian Hague on 29 October 2018 at 3:20pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Yes, it has been enjoyable, particularly as the topic has been broadened.

We could ask similar questions. I mean, franchises that started off as toy lines before becoming cartoons and then films. I can only think of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and TRANSFORMERS.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I mean, franchises that started off as toy lines before becoming cartoons and then films. I can only think of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and TRANSFORMERS.

GI JOE. JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS. 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2018 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

*I'm trying to think of any Marvel properties that might have appeared in live-action TV form first and I'm coming up blank except for Doctor Strange -- but he has no specific animated vehicle between his TV movie and big screen film other than some animated guest spots (eg. 90's SPIDER-MAN).  

----------------------------------------

Dr. Strange had a straight-to-DVD cartoon in 2007.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910865/

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

This topic is keeping me awake at night. Came up with THREE MUSKETEERS last night when I should have been sleeping.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Tintin has an interesting other-media path.

An animated film in the 1940s and an animated TV series in the late 50s-early 60s.   This was followed by two live-action films in the early-mid 60's and a slew of animated films from the 60s into the 70s.   Finally there was another animated TV series in the early 90s and back to the big screen in 2011 (technically animated, I guess).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version