Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Team comics - one little change... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2018 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Spider-Man actually joins the Fantastic Four in The Amazing Spider-Man #1.  They become the Fantastic Five.  

The fans don't buy it, the team doesn't work.  Both books derail. The Marvel Age falters and the changes they brought to comics withers.  DC doesn't respond and by the mid-70's, most comics are horror, war, and western, with only a few super heroes making it that far.  The Hulk and Dr. Strange are Marvel's flagship comics and Fin Fang Foom has his own tv show.
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Namor never throws the "iceman" into the water in Avengers #4. Therefore, Captain America is never found by the Avengers and everything changes for the team from that point forward. Captain America is probably the character most associated with the Avengers in the minds of the readers so his never joining the team would result in a seismic shift for the team both in the books and in the real world.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This thread has been fun to read. I love what if's!

I used to fantasize about Silver Surfer sticking with the original Defenders of Dr. Strange, Hulk and Namor for a nice long run.
Man oh man what a powerful team; The Sorcerer Supreme, the power cosmic and two of the strongest guys in Marveldom .
Imagine the types of adventures that would have to be written just to give them a challenge.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have heard for years a tale about the creation of the Elongated Man. 
Julius Schwartz was.unaware that DC owned the rights to Plastic Man...and  years later commented that if he had known, they could have just used him instead of having a new character created. 

So...this time Julie did know...and Plas makes his return in the pages of FLASH in 1960. 

Given how much public recognition Plastic Man managed to get in cartoons despite not having a successful comic run for all those years...imagine how big he'd have become if he'd been made a regular crime-fighting colleague of Barry Allen.  It took Elongated Man until 1973  to join the Justice League...Plas may have made it in by the mid 60s. 

And most important of all...no IDENTITY CRISIS decades later. 

Edited by Laren Farmer on 25 October 2018 at 5:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I can see Plas in the role of Ralph in his first story, but the story Schwartz tells, and he was a master storyteller and puller of listeners' chains, doesn't hold up well if you imagine that he intended for the character to get married and solve mysteries alongside his new bride, Thin Man-style, as the name "The Elongated Man" suggests. 

If all of that was conceived later and worked into the new strechable hero's milieu, fine, but the name is so awkward it's difficult to imagine it was invented without some connection to the Thin Man movies and short stories. 

It's a bummer to think we're now imagining scenarios where delightful and fun characters are made neverwas just so we don't have to experience the pain of having them ripped apart in front of our eyes years later by sadistic wannabe auteurs.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Back in 1980, the Green Arrow quit the JLA, complaining that the League had lost touch with the common man, and only focused on the big problems anymore."

Fun fact: that was the only time in my entire life that I was that I felt compelled to write in to a comic book letter column.  I think it was the summer between 6th and 7th grade.  I was delighted beyond belief when I received the postcard from DC telling me it would be published and to keep a look out for it in issue 186.

(Don't bother writing to me at that address.  Mom and Pop sold that house years ago.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version