Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Star Trek Destinations 2018 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was lucky enough to attend the Star Trek Destinations show in Birmingham at the weekend. Did anyone else here go to it at all?

I actually got William Shatner to sign a New Voyages Trade Paperback,  (Wish it was JB..but alas, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic for that!)
With lots of other things there straining my finances I could only really afford to stump up for one auto from Mr Shatner. And man it was almost stressful trying to decide which book to ask him to sign. In the end I went with the volume with the Borg story 'Resistance', (as I was always really impressed with how skillfully our host crafted that particular tale, and actually made it work believably.) And so I got Mr Shatner to autograph the cover to that issue that was inside (Right on the Borg sphere with Kirk, Spock & McCoy looking up at the signature ha!)
I made sure to do do so on the quieter Friday, so it wasn't as much of a 'drive by' conveyor belt in the queue, but nonetheless only got the briefest moment to speak to him about it. Very hard to get across what a legend JB is to me and the rest of us in that time, with me making some sort of remark that JB was the best writer-artist that Marvel ever had. (And afterwards couldn't help but think that that wasn't enough given y'know JB's definitive take on the Man of Steel and so, so much more..) But it was nice to hear Mr Shatner speak so positively of our host, (He said something about how he very much enjoyed meeting JB,) and then one quick fist pump later I was on my way.

Definitely one of the highlights of the convention for me, which just seemed to fly by. Also very much enjoyed talking to artists and one of the writers from IDW and learning all sorts of behind the scenes details about the making of the Dr Who Star Trek crossover, (the hardback of mine of which also received a fair few signatures that weekend!)

The one regret for me, is that I tried to get a photo with Nicole Nichols but sadly she was too ill to attend on the Saturday, which is of course the shoot that I booked. I hope she is feeling better now, (I know she has a lot to deal with there and her health absolutely should be her top priority.)

Kate Mulgrew gave an absolutely amazing stage talk, easily the best of the weekend for me. So I have to say, if any of you ever get the chance to see her at one of these, don't miss the opportunity. Her words on stage were so eloquent and inspiring that I couldn't help but wish she had actually wrote her character on Voyager!
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I didn't go, but I wanted to (finances!).

I'm glad you got to meet William Shatner. It's great that you got some books signed.

Oh, and there's a Dr. Who/Star Trek crossover, eh?

I definitely do want to attend Star Trek Destination if they do any further ones.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They are talking about doing one next year. (Which is unusual. They normally do one every couple of years)

And yeah, IDW did a crossover when they still had the Dr Who license. There was plans for a follow up, but when the BBC gave the rights to another company that fell by the wayside, alas.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version