Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Childhood Favorites Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What movie or movies did you enjoy as a child that, despite the test of time, still hold up for you simply because you were introduced to them as a child?  Movies you would never choose to watch if they were released now, but eagerly defend them as "time and place" in you life?

I'll throw out a couple.  THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG is one.  Cheesy, but I still love it.  FREAKY FRIDAY and LOGAN'S RUN are two others.  I'll add THE BLACK HOLE and THE ADVENTURES OF THE WILDERNESS FAMILY.

So what are yours?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Disney’s PETER PAN and LADY AND THE TRAMP top the list.

I'll also mention Harryhausen and Harryhausen-like movies, such as THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINDBAD, JACK THE GIANT KILLER and THE MAGIC SWORD.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Condor Man.

And I currently have The Cat From Outer Space on my DVR -- only reason that's there is because I saw it as a 6-year-old on a projector that had been rigged up in the hall of my primary school.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'll name one: THAT DARN CAT! 

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BABES IN TOYLAND
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Some may recall THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE had a key role in the original version of the post-137 Phoenix story!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I loved THAT DARN CAT and THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE (thanks for bringing them up!) as well as CHARLIE THE LONESOME COUGAR.

As for animation, THE JUNGLE BOOK, THE ARISTOCATS and 101 DALMATIONS.

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS was also a favorite, along with anything Godzilla that might have been in!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Childhood favorites that I can readily admit aren't that hot, and yet still love due to nostalgia (and can never part with):

SASQUATCH: THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT
THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE
THE UNIDENTIFIED FLYING ODDBALL
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE
THE BLACK HOLE
FLASH GORDON
CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, at least no-one mentioned KONGA...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm currently re-watching The Black Hole and it's a weird mish-mash. There's some clunky dialogue, the characters are kind of dull in the main, but it actually looks kind of great -- the production values were through the roof. I still really like V.I.N.CENT and I think Roddy McDowell does a great job. Everyone else is very po-faced, perhaps with the exception of Pizer, but then he gets a lot of the clunky lines. Maximilliam is actually a pretty imposing and memorable henchman -- a robot bully; kind of a  neat idea. Of course, I've yet to get that weird ending. The ESP thing that Kate McCrae has seems out of place and I'm not sure why they put that in.

It occurred to me that the characters remind me slightly of the Fantastic Four. Captain Holland would be Mr Fantastic, Dr McCrae would be the Invisible Woman, Pizer would be the Human Torch, Booth would be The Thing and Reinhardt would be Dr Doom. Leaving, I suppose, V.I.N.CENT as H.E.R.B.I.E. I really don't know who Anthony Perkins would be. A guest star...

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Watched THE BLACK HOLE last night On Demand. Very much a Fifties style movie but done in the late Seventies, as host Leonard Maltin noted. Still eerie and compelling, though, despite its sillier aspects. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Peter, at the very least, you just came up with a killer voice cast, had they made an animated F.F. film in 1979!

(I suppose it's too easy to peg Anthony Perkins as the Psycho-Man...)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'll define child as pre-teen for me.

WILLY WONKA & the CHOCOLATE FACTORY- Still watch it and have zero interest in the reboot.

THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD-Can't get enough of those Wonderful World of Disney movies of the time. This would probably be a Freeform movie now, which would not be on my watch list.

A lot of the movies mentioned I liked as a child, but also would like the movie premise as an adult.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN (1975)
LOGAN'S RUN
WILLY WONKA & the CHOCOLATE FACTORY
THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG 
THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG RIDES AGAIN
MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

QUOTE:
WILLY WONKA & the CHOCOLATE FACTORY- Still watch it and have zero interest in the reboot.

I have watched this wonderful movie more times than any other.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

THE WIZARD OF OZ stands out as a childhood favorite, but I would say that I am much more inclined to be forgiving of films I enjoyed in my teens and early twenties than I am my childhood favorites.

Keeping however just to films that I liked as a kid, I'll add RETURN FROM WITCH MOUNTAIN, THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, and THE MUPPET MOVIE to the list. I really didn't see many films as a kid. I remember my grandmother taking me to a double feature of BAMBI and GUS, the football kicking mule. I retain no particular reverence for either of them. My family just didn't do movies.

I do have a fascination for Patrick McGoohan's DR. SYN, ALIAS THE SCARECROW and Peter Ustinov's BLACKBEARD'S GHOST because I was able to get the paperback book adaptations of them (by authors Vic Crume and Ben Stahl) but never able to see the films. I believe I have finally done so at this point, but nevertheless, both films retain a certain "untouchable" quality when I look back on them.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Peter, the cast of THE BLACK HOLE follows the type of adventurer team construct found in many films of a certain era and in the Challengers of the Unknown series by Kirby and others. In the usual set-up, the strong-willed, decisive leader and the scientist are two separate characters, as they were with Cpt. Holland and Dr. Durant or Ace Morgan and Prof. 

The FF mashed the two together in the form of Reed Richards in a way that has only a few precedents, Bernard Quatermass being one. I do like the observation that V.I.N.Cent could stand in for HERBIE. Now I want to see the casts meet up. If we posit that the Black Hole at the end of the film was a gateway into the Negative Zone... :-)

Shaun, Fred Hembeck agrees with you...

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Same with The Apple Dumpling Gang...also have a soft spot for Lt. Robin
Crusoe, U.S.N....which I saw with my Dad isn a theater...so it was either a re-
release or part of a Disney double feature since it was made before I was born.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Brian, it occurred to me after I posted that Reed is like a synthesis of the leader/scientist character types, so I very much agree with what you say. Reed definitely offers more facets than Captain Holland.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Peter Martin wrote: "Reed definitely offers more facets than Captain Holland."

He does, which is kind of a shame. Robert Forster is certainly capable of delivering a multi-leveled performance with genuine intelligence, heart, and insight. The script just didn't ask that of him. Holland is unfortunately a fairly by-the-numbers character. It works for the film, of course. Not much more is actually required, but it is interesting to imagine where Forster could have gone with the role had it continued. 

Back to the subject of being very forgiving of what we loved as children, I must admit that I am a tireless champion of the Krofft TV shows and such prime-time fare as Charlie's Angels and The Six Million Dollar Man. Now those were the places where I spent my imagination dollar as a kid... :-)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I was actually thinking about this the other day:

For me personally, the ages of roughly 5-9 (or years 1977-81) were my "prime time" of loving anything & everything unabashedly, and still being drawn to it all in my middle-age, whether it was movies, TV shows, comics, books, etc.  My own theory is that anything before then was just a bit too fuzzy to remember too clearly, where anything after was already being looked-at with a slightly critical eye, or at least acknowledgment that all forms of entertainment were not created equal  (I was almost 10 years old when I started becoming obsessed with "capsule reviews" in the newspapers, or watching the movie review shows on TV--Siskel & Ebert, et al).

We also got cable TV for the first time in 1982, so I exposed to a lot of crap, in a short amount of time!  There's just a naive innocence about those years mentioned, and any time I revisit specific movies or TV shows, even the lousy ones, the nostalgia just comes rushing back.  And not just for the material, but also the childhood memories surrounding them.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 21 October 2018 at 8:32am

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I will toss in an old favorite of mine: 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA

James Mason, Kirk Douglas, Peter Lorre, Paul Lukas, and everyone's favorite giant squid :-) 

I saw the movie long before I decided to read Jules Verne's novel. But the film still holds up for me, even though it's a bit cheesy in certain spots.

Edited by James Best on 28 October 2018 at 9:54pm

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Off the top of my head...
THE CANNONBALL RUN
FLASH GORDON
ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN
THE OUTSIDERS

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I can't claim these movies stand the test of time, but for some reason, as a very young kid, I loved to watch Martin and Lewis, and Crosby and Hope movies.

I always watched out for Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, and Mad Monster Party. And of course any giant monster movies.....could never get enough of those, including any stop-motion classics. And I'll end with any Beach movie with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 28 October 2018 at 7:45pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

When I was maybe nine or ten I was a big fan of The Poseidon Adventure, starring Gene Hackman. I watched on VHS many times. I thought it was the definition of epic. Nowadays, maybe not so much. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version