Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Memorable Short Stories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I enjoy reading short stories and devoured many anthologies in my lifetime especially sci-fi and horror. I find that there are some of them that have made a lasting impression on me. While they may not necessarily be the best that i have read, they struck a chord for some reason.  

I am interested to hear other members' picks for the 10 most memorable short stories that they've have read. I have a selfish motive here as I want to see if there are any out there worth looking up. 

No problem if some of your picks lean more towards being a novella than a short story. 

This is my ten:

1) IT'S A GOOD LIFE - Jerome Bixby - In my opinion, almost a perfect short story.  
2) THE OTHER CELIA - Theodore Sturgeon- Just bizarre.
3) SURVIVOR TYPE - Stephen King- Gross
4) THE HORTA - Guy De Maupassant - the main event is almost comical when you think about it but the way its written makes it disturbing.
5) THE OPERATOR - Jack Ritchie. Slick little pulp story. 
6) RAUTAVAARA'S CASE -Phillip K. Dick. Alien's interpretation of human religion and the afterlife. 
7) DAY OF THE DRAGON- Guy Endore. I Read this at the right age(about 13) fun story.  
8) The FLY- George Lagelaan -Classic scifi
9) METAMORPHOSIS- Franz Kafka- Famous story of course, but surprisingly readable.
10)WHERE ARE YOU GOING WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? -Joyce Carol Oates- Fiction but could (and I suppose has) happened making it all the more upsetting. 

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I could mention specific stories, but for me it's really the collections of stories that stick with me--I could immerse myself in the world the author was creating.

Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe stories--collected as THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER.  Pure atmosphere.
Arthur Conan Doyle's SHERLOCK HOLMES stories.  I loved reading them, one after another.
I loved Richard Matheson's novels, TWILIGHT ZONEs, and his short stories (a lot of which were adapted for TV or movies).  I specifically remember "Dance of the Dead" which I feel really inspired the modern-day zombie craze, well before George Romero's movies.
Harlan Ellison's short sci fi stories also really grabbed me, especially "Shatterday."

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I love a lot of Ray Bradbury`s short stories,i have a
few collections, same with Stephen King, too many to
name individually, but i highly recommend the short
story collections of both authors.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"1408" by Stephen King.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Books of Blood by Clive Barker had some good ones.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I love the stories by Saki (H. H. Munro) and O Henry

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Egg

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

1. The Jaunt by Stephen King — a tale about the history of teleportation and one very curious boy.

2. Concentration City by J.G. Ballard — a man ponders what lies beyond a very big city

3. The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemingway — two men and a woman on an ill-advised big game hunt.

4. All the King's Horses by Kurt Vonnegut — a US Army colonel is taken POW by a communist regime during the cold war and finds himself forced to play a game of chess for the highest stakes.

5. It's a novella rather than a short story, but The Langoliers by Stephen King — riveting tale about a small group of passengers waking up on a plane to discover the crew and all the other passengers are missing.

6. Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut — in the future everyone must be equal. No one is allowed to be exceptional and those that threaten this equality by being too intelligent or attractive are handed appropriate handicaps.

7. The Yattering and Jack by Clive Barker — a minor demon seeks to antagonise a seemingly oblivious man.

Since I'm including novellas, it would seem wrong to not include three excellent and well-known novellas to round out my ten:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. George, Lennie and a piece of alfalfa for the rabbits...

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. An old man and his very big fish...

Animal Farm by George Orwell. Some animals are more equal than others...

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2018 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I am going to limit myself to ten short stories that I have enjoyed hearing read
by LeVar Burton.

"Kin" by Bruce McAllister

"Empty Places" by Richard Parks

"Graham Greene" by Percival Everett

"The Paper Menagerie" by Ken Liu

"No Man's Guns" by Elmore Leonard

"Unassigned Territory" by Stephanie Powell Watts

"Mrs. Perez" by Oscar Casares

"The Baboon War" by Nnedi Okorafor

"Childfinder" by Octavia Butler

"The Last Cheng Being Gift" by Jaymee Goh

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This kept changing as I typed it.

"A Dozen Tough Jobs" by Howard Waldrop - a possible inspiration for the Cohen Brothers' "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou". 

"Learning To Be Me" Greg Egan - pretty sure the "Black Mirror" writers must be fans of Greg Egan. 

"Air Raid" John Varley - an excellent short story made into a pretty bad film, Millennium. Varley wrote (and re-wrote, and re-re-wrote the screenplay.) 

"The Atrocity Archives" Charles Stross - the British civil service vs. Cthulhu. Save the world, hit your eight-day sick absence trigger point, get a written warning.

"Understand" Ted Chiang - a believable "man gains superhuman intelligence" story.

"The Desrick On Yandro" Manly Wade Wellman - because of the monsters. Some of Wellman's other "Silver John" stories were adapted into a pretty bad film in the 1970s, but I don't think this one was included.

"A Martian Odyssey" Stanley Weinbaum. A world-building classic.

"Johnny Mnemonic" William Gibson. Another excellent short story adapted into a not-very-good film.

"Teddy Bears' Picnic" Kim Newman and Eugene Byrne - in an alternate universe, the Vietnam war is fought between capitalist Britain and Russia on one side, and the communist USSA on the other. The characters are characters from 1970s British sitcoms and children's literature.    

"Neutron Star" Larry Niven - got to have a Known Space story on my list.

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Paul Lloyd, interestingly your pick, "The Desrick on Yandro" was included in one of my favourite anthologies, "Alfred Hitchcock's Monster Museum" along with one of my picks "The Day of the Dragon".

Trevor Krysak, I read Egg. I enjoyed it. I will definitely be looking up some of the stories listed on this post. 

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There are going to be some recurring authors here.

1. A Good Man is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Connor

2. The Jilting of Granny Weatherall- Katherine Ann Porter

3. The Dunwich Horror - HP Lovecraft (delighted to learn that while it's set in South Central MA, Lovecraft used the landscape and towns a mile from me as inspiration)

4. A Rose for Emily - William Faulkner

5. The Birds - Daphne DuMaurier

6. Good Country People - Flannery O'Connor

7. Made in Heaven - John Updike

8. Shiloh- Bobbie Ann Mason

9. Bernice Bobs Her Hair - F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. Love and Freindship (sic) - Jane Austen
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version