Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Happy Legalization Day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

" If the supply all comes via stores that require ID verification, then this should help prevent under-age users."

Yeah, because that has been so effective in keeping cigarettes and alcohol out of the hands of minors.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Then there`s people driving after using it.
My aunt worked in a psychiatric unit at the local
hospital, a lot of the patients were there from cannabis
use.
Medicinal use under strict supervision i`m fine with.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Yeah, because that has been so effective in keeping
cigarettes and alcohol out of the hands of minors."

Well if we're going to be snarky "Yeah, because
prohibition of anything has proven to be so effective
in the past".

And to Bill's points - people drive after drinking,
people drink to excess and go to the hospital, even
die. Cannabis is just another controlled substance
with the same negatives that come with the
availability of alcohol - it's no better or no worse.
At least people that use now have a safe supply that
will not have the potential of having been been laced
with fentanyl or who the hell knows what else.

Edited by Trevor Smith on 18 October 2018 at 3:53am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Laws do not and cannot, PREVENT crime. Laws exist to provide a standardized process for dealing with crime.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It should be noted that drugs is drugs is drugs. They ALL have an effect on the brain, a permanent effect, a cumulative effect. It's just a matter of degree.

Does that mean they should all be illegal? No. That's doesn't "control" them in any way. But they should be used with great care.

It's kind of like radiation. It's radioactivity that makes the dial on your watch glow. (Yes, old analogy.) That radiation gets into your system and STAYS THER. If you lived long enough, it would kill you.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have smoked a variety of spliffs, doobs, blunts, and pipes over the years like an idiot (I'm not saying any of it was 'cool') and all I can come up with to react to this media coverage barrage is... big bloody deal. Who gives a @#$%^&! crap at this point.The powers that be are probably fast tracking this junk legislation in an effort to keep people doped up and stupid while everything comes apart and the average person is screwed every which way.

What an uninteresting and pointless news story repeated ad nauseum. Even stories about dogs getting weird from eating someone's roach on the sidewalk. What news are we not getting is the important thing, stuff that does and will effect us a lot more. I really hope people (at least if they can't get the Maui Wowee) they would skip all the rest of it, especially while their brain is developing. We've just added another alcohol to our society not a healthier alternative to it, even vaped.

Meanwhile my pain medication I've responsibly used for over a decade is scrutinized and even withheld from me and I'm made to feel like there's something wrong with me for having extreme pain nothing much else can be done for... thanks to all the lazy no-will pill heads of the current 'Opioid Epidemic'. I guess I'm supposed to turn to the wonder weed now? All that does is make you dumb while still in pain, no thanks. Might try the THC balm on my joints but doubt very much it'd do anything more than the waste of time faddish acupuncture did. Arthritis is real and at times debilitating without pain medication, now I'm back to days of pain and unable to accomplish much or work while I merely exist through it.

Take this weed and shove it. Bah.

It was a blast at times interacting on here but I expect I won't be around much in the next while for a variety of reasons (moving, pain, closing down a 32 year long retail business).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 October 2018 at 10:25am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think they're legalising it for medicinal purposes in the UK, controlled by doctors, of course.

If it alleviates pain, then more power to people, like Rebecca, who are helped by it, especially when dealing with extreme pain. I am sure our 'representatives' (who I have little respect for nowadays) would do the same if they were in pain.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, because that has been so effective in keeping cigarettes and alcohol out of the hands of minors.
---------------------------------------------------
I would say cigarettes are more heavily regulated nowadays than they have been in the past. There is a downward trend in teenage smokers in Canada. For example, between 2001 and 2011, the % of smokers in the age group 12 to 14 fell from about 5% to around 2%. Over the same period the % of smokers in the age group of 15 to 17 fell from around 20% to 10%.(source: link)

We will never be entirely able to keep these things out hand of minors, however regulation does seem to be a sensible approach to trying to tackle the problem. The previous approach of prohibition failed to keep cannabis out of the hands of the young, allowed zero regulation of what was being widely used, brought in zero tax revenue and gifted a multi-billion-dollar enterprise into the hands of the black market.

As I said, I can see valid arguments on both sides of the issue. I'm not pro-cannabis, I don't personally use it, but I know that lots of people do and the previous legal stance didn't seem to be stopping anyone. I am concerned about people driving under the influence and about just the general stink of the stuff, but can see the benefits in actually getting some regulation in place and bringing it out of the black market and into the regular economy.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's amazing it's taking so many countries this long to figure out something America should've learned during the first prohibition. Prohibitions don't work and never will. It's an endless money sink that fills up prisons with people that are imprisoned for consensual non-violent crimes and doesn't address the fact that drug addiction is a health issue, not a criminal one. America still hasn't figured it out. Well done, Canada.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 18 October 2018 at 6:07pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Anti-drug laws do bring in revenue. They do this by fines against people who break the laws.

As to Marijuana, I'm not for legalization, but I'm not for imprisoning users either. Fine them. Take their money!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I do not want to live in a city where marijuana is legal. My neighbor
used to smoke weed all the time. Everyone on the block complained
about the smell.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I grew up in a house where my parents both smoked over 20 cigs a day - I didn't smoke. I stunk of smoke. Absolutely stunk.
I had other kids come up to me a say I stunk (may have been because I didn't wash - I jest).

I didn't realise how much I stunk until I had moved out and was visited by my brother, who also didn't smoke. I collected him from the train in my car. He got in and the entire car suddenly stunk of smoke.

I cannot stand the smell of weed. It's horrible. But I have noticed more and more that as I walk around, I can smell weed in more and more places. I now take a tram to work and the number of times people get on and there is a waft of the smell following them around.

Medicinal use is one thing. I dread a massive expansion of recreational use.

Mind you, talking to various people I know if universities, they have noticed a massive decrease in alcohol consumption by students and are pretty sure the reason is increased drug taking.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version