Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: DC TV U crossover event Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mr. Floyd, while you're not wrong, I think that misses the point of the genre. I suspect Black Lightning is far more powerful than any member of Team Arrow, but BL can't just go Whale hunting and kill him that easily. He COULD do it... and then, where's your story?

Or to put it another way... a gigantic satellite was crashing to Earth in the Flash. Ricardo Diaz was going to kill Felicity. The inappropriate answer is, "Oh my God! We better call Supergirl for help!" Same thing for Black Lightning, I feel; we have an implicit agreement that Ollie doesn't ask for Barry's help* or Supergirl doesn't call upon the Legends to help handle an issue.

*Yeah, I know that for one instant, Oliver and Diggle got Flash's assistance to "outrun" Diaz. THAT is, to me, inconceivable. Flash DOES have the time to run them around, but NO time to help against Diaz? Why? Team Arrow would certainly reciprocate against the Thinker (whether he were ready for them or not.)
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Elseworlds finally answered the question of how the Pipeline prisoners peed.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wish these shows were this much fun every week this season instead of taking themselves so seriously that they're downright depressing at times.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

LEGENDS kinda sorta explained why they're not involved. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, I like what Nate said about the "annual crossover";
"...hard pass!"

and as usual, LEGENDS was fun as hell last night!

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And officially coming next year... Crisis on Infinite Earths. At least the Arrowverse version of it.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought they did Crisis last year. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I thought they did Crisis last year. 

-----

Last year's crossover was "Crisis on Earth-X".

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ah. 

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The highlight for me was the 90s Flash. See JWS in the costume again was awesome. I wish he had a bigger part in it. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My only trepidations about COIE (well, hardly ONLY) are that we are only familiar with super beings from four Earths - Earth 1, Earth-2, Earth-38, and Earth-X.Thanks to Cisco's power, understanding these Earths and how to transit between them seems a lot clearer than a transmatter cube - and that concept was never very challenging to begin with.

So in the span of twelve months - which is only two half-seasons - we have to be introduced to some more heroes who are going to die. And unlike in the comics, we'll KNOW who's going to die - simply by nature of whose contracts haven't been renewed. Not as if Gardner Fox ever had to worry about resigning Wonder Woman for another nine months...

It CAN work, and it could be very exciting to set up.
We KNOW there is a Justice Society of America. 
We KNOW there is a Legion of Super-Heroes (and OH, how I wish that Brainiac 5 would have had the line... "Hello, Kal-El. Good to see you again.)
We KNOW that Earth-1 is thiiis close to having the Justice League... even without Superman and Manhunter from Mars. Aquaman's probably untouchable, but we saw that Earth-90 has/had Green (John Diggle) Lantern, and the non-super powered pseudo Wonder Woman is on Themyscira.

So what's the setup? Maybe the anti-Monitor has employed the Crime Syndicate of America and the weaponers of Qward to take over the multiverse for him. That allows for a very wide array of powered villains (I think Team Arrow could work over a squad of weaponers). If we take all the Justice Leaguers in the Arrowverse and put their counterparts on Earth-3, I know it's a bit like CoEX, but then again - so was this year, kinda

If they handle it right - and so far, so good! - I will be very excited about Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If I remember right, they've sort of messed with the Earths' numbering in the Arrowverse. Jay and one version of the Trickster are from Earth 3, while Harry, Jesse and Zoom are from Earth 2.

So the CSA would probably end up being from Earth 4.

The JSA (very disappointing version) was already on LEGENDS, though that was a 1940's version. But who's to say there's not a more proper version on another Earth we've not seen yet?

Jani Evinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I thought this was rather dissapointing. Superman was shown as a punching bag who doubts his friends ,and the John Wesley Shipp Flash was in it for like 5 minutes. 

I would have hoped that Superman and the "original TV Flash" (yes I am familiar with challenge of the superheroes) would have been used in a better way.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

So....two heroes speeding around the world (in opposite directions!) at ....MACH 7...can turn back time?

Really?

MACH 7?  NASA has launched rockets that have gone faster.  So BFD.

Seven times the speed of sound is FAST....but fast enough to affect "reality"?   

The writing on the CW shows always...always drags me out and onto other things.  

I love that folks behind the shows are clearly having fun doing what they are doing.  And for sure it's superhero lore being fully embraced. 

But it all feels like amateur hour every damn time.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 13 December 2018 at 10:18am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Jani Evinen and others who have to suffer with memories of "Challenge of the Superheroes"... there was another Flash on TV prior to that. I hope this cleanses your palate:

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Superman was shown as a punching bag who doubts his friends

I don't recall that part. 

The Mach 7 thing was...odd. Even if they're going in opposite directions. And if the Flash can run fast enough to travel through time, why was he in danger of burning up at Mach 7?

I did like Batwoman/Kate Kane. I like Tyler Hoechlin as Superman and wish he'd get to wear a more traditional Superman costume already. The woman whose name I'm blanking on played a very good, quasi-Margot Kidder-ish Lois Lane. 

The idea of doing CRISIS on TV strikes me as impossible unless the CGI budget is really huge. The original story had virtually every super-person who'd ever appeared in a DC comic, and unless the TV version has dozens of superheroes it's not going to feel like a Really Big Deal.

They're going to need new people to wear the Dr. Fate, Hawkman and Stargirl costumes from SMALLVILLE, at least. (Green Arrow too, maybe? Cyborg? Zatanna? Blue Beetle?)

And Warner Bros. still won't allow Batman to appear -- any variation of Batman -- so that's a bit of a problem. I presume the same goes for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I have trouble imagining any Green Lantern showing up, but who knows. 

It'll be fun to see John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick again.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Eric, the Flash also guest-starred on the Super Friends as well, prior to his live action debut in "Challenge." But yes, there is a definite feel-good vibe to those old Filmation episodes from way back when. Thanks for that reminder. :-)

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

And the Flash did play ping pong on Saturday Night Live.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I was disappointed that the 90's Flash was more or less just used as a messenger, then breeched out when he tried to attack the Monitor. Hopefully, he'll be back and play a larger role in CRISIS. (Won't be surprised if they have him be the one who sacrifices himself instead of Earth 1 Barry....)

My one gripe is that unless he actually made himself more powerful than the real Superman, there's no way Deegan should have been manhandling Clark. And I don't recall that being mentioned.

I assume CRISIS will likely be a 5 or 6 parter (if Batwoman does get her own show), and will end up with all the shows taking place on the same Earth when all is said and done. What that bodes for the other Earths, we'll have to wait and see.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Brian F.: I can't see how Dr. Destiny couldn't have made himself as powerful as Superman. The Book of Destiny is a fantastically powerful artifact, and the Monitor DID encourage Dr. D. to think big. For example... he could have made himself as powerful and Superman and Supergirl combined.

Ohhh, Brian H., you want to PLAY, do you? :)

ITEM: In addition to the Flash, Green Arrow and Plastic Man also guested on Super-Friends. Rant #23,792. I strongly disliked the Super-Friends in certain ways. There was no fighting at all; just antagonists who were selfish, or a little nutty, or who didn't understand what they were doing until Wendy and Marvin explained to them the error of their ways. That works with Batman and Robin (and maybe Batgirl) leading a team of young people into action. But Superman and Wonder Woman were wasted characters.

Aquaman seems a puzzle as a character; it limits the team, very obviously. I do not know for sure, but I have speculated that the big Filmation animated characters were selected so that maybe some animation could be reused. However, none of it was, and I believe that a much better choice than Aquaman would have been Hawkman,. You even Hawkgirl, another female character. 

But it WAS the first appearance of Wonder Woman on TV or in movies, so we had that.

ITEM: I rewatch those Filmation DC cartoons probably more than is good for my mental health... but I DO love them so. Serious treatment of the Justice Leaguers, individually or in team. Great voice work, great sound work, and I though the writers (Lawrence Kasdan, Bob Haney, etc.) did a VERY solid job. Those are a fun afternoon... I'm glad you appreciate 'em too!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Super-Friends did suck. It didn't really ramp up and become good until it became Challenge of the Super-Friends and brought in the Legion of Doom. And the Wonder Twins (and Gleek) may have had ridiculous powers, but at least they weren't useless like Marvin, Wendy and Wonder Dog were.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Eric: I believe the first appearance of Wonder Woman on TV was an episode of Filmation's THE BRADY KIDS, a cartoon show where the young BRADY BUNCH cast members voiced their characters in fantastic stories, Superman appeared on it as well.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I also recall WW appearing on the Brady Kids show first. Something I noticed watching a very early episode of the Super Friends recently: Marvin did have super powers, at least in that premiere episode. 

He's shown hovering in mid-air for a very long time at one point with people commenting on it and Superman tells him that having super-powers is not enough in dealing with problems. Later in the episode, he smashes down a vault door. He has to take a few tries at it, but he does succeed.

I wonder if the initial conception of the characters was for Marvin to be a young, untried Superman while Wendy was a clever, up-and-coming Batman. She was constantly putting her finger to her chin and saying, "Hmmm..." 

Later, when the characters came to the comics, E. Nelson Bridwell gave them backstories, with Marvin White being the son of the woman who sold Wonder Woman her identity (an actual occurrence from the Golden Age) and Wendy Harris was the daughter of Harvey Harris, one of the men who trained young Bruce Wayne in the art of detection (again, something shown to have taken place in the comics.) 

Eric S., (see how that doesn't really work in this thread?) I will give those Filmation cartoons a look at some point. I keep meaning to and then finding other things to watch. Like Drak Pack! :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 15 December 2018 at 9:10am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Eric S. - You are quite correct sir. Diana's animated debut was on the Brady Kids in 1972. Super Friends debuted in 1973. Thanks!

Brian H. - I don't have a problem... :) Those Filmation cartoons are the most serious treatment of DC super heroes up to BTAS. I'm pretty sure you'll really like them.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The idea of doing CRISIS on the CW intrigue me... they introduced enough characters over the years to pull this story off. They've been planning this for a while so it should be solid.

Surprised that the CW/DC Universe is better constructed than the big screen version has been.

BTW, Tyler Hoechlin’s version of the Man of Steel needs his own show already!

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 17 December 2018 at 3:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version