Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: If Acts of Vengeance was done today... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You guys need to be made editor-in-chief.

I'd have liked to have seen the Green Goblin face more heroes over the years. I know he had an intense hatred of Spider-Man, but I'd have loved match-ups such as Goblin/Cap or Goblin/Falcon.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Some great choices here. Thanks for posting, all!

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Had to do a bit of digging Robbie. It had been many, many years since I read it. And so my memory wasn't quite as accurate as I thought it was. As it wasn't a cross-over but an actual issue of the Secret Wars II mini series itself. Issue #7 to be precise. I think I was remembering it as a cross-over because I read these as part of the UK reprints. And when Marvel UK did Secret Wars II they mixed together the actual issues with the cross-overs as if they were one title.

Anyway, the 'fight' isn't much to write home about as it's only a handful of brief panels across two pages, where Ben is not only trashing the Abomination, but also Blastaar and the Rhino as well!

Having said that, as far as Secret Wars II issues are concerned it is one of the better ones. (Though granted that's not saying much.) Mephisto's ever more desperate attempts to deal with the Beyonder are of note. And Ben does have an interesting clash with the Juggernaut towards the end of it, that really doesn't go so well for him. But it certainly does show his never give up attitude!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jason, I appreciate your digging (I did try, maybe my Googling skills aren't any good, but it led me to places like DeviantArt).

Well, I'll keep an eye out, even though the fight isn't, to use your words, anything to write home about.

Thanks a lot! 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And for shame Brian, She-Hulk vs. Abomination you say? How could you forget this?:-

Actually, when you see the story itself, it's more understandable why folks might attempt to forget it. As sadly it wasn't actually JB that did the artwork for the tale inside, but instead Rob Liefeld!!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thinking of more.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) VS Baron Mordo

Hawkman and Captain America during WWII (choose your own enemy).

Wonder Woman VS Wrecking Crew

Okay, those are intercompany crossovers, I know, but they were on my mind earlier.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Legion of Monsters vs. Samhain, the Spirit of Halloween- Let's bring back seasonal comics, fer cryin' out loud. I miss seeing these folks celebrate the holidays.

Archie and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs. the Decepticons- Playing the ol' Implications Game, if Archie could be hunted by the Punisher and the TMNT were mutated by the same canister of radioactive goo that struck Daredevil, then they should be able to battle to foes of those giant, car-shaped robots that Spider-Man met one time...

Reed Richards vs. Warlord Krang- While "on a break" from his marriage to Sue after FF #149, Reed romances the Lady Dorma while Krang seethes and plots insurrection from the shadows. Well, it's underwater, so it's all in shadows, but you know what I mean...

The Inhumans vs. the Squadron Supreme- The MU's resident JLA-knockoffs attempt to build a Watchtower-like HQ on the moon and find it already inhabited. Punch-'em-ups ensue.

The Invaders vs. Annihilus- The Negative Zone existed during WWII and Annihilus was a younger, hungrier power-crazed madman in those days...

The Impossible Man vs. The Sinister Six, Salem's Seven, and the Crazy Eight- One of Impy's kids has a homework assignment in science class concerning "typical" examples of given species and goes on a field trip to prove there really isn't any such thing. Humans, for instance, come in lots and lots of weird shapes, sizes, and temperments. Impy and Mrs. Impossible come to fetch their precocious tyke home before he gets himself killed.

Ikaris and the Eternals vs. the Red Skull and Arnim Zola- Nazi scientists come looking for the fabled race, rumored to be the results of the greatest, most expansive eugenics experiment in all of human history. Finding the blond, Nordic-looking Ikaris, they like what they see...

Edited by Brian Hague on 19 October 2018 at 3:03am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version