Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: If Acts of Vengeance was done today... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...who would you want to see trade villains?

I'll post two solo heroes and two teams I'd like to see shake things up.

SPIDER-MAN VS. THE MANDARIN
I don't think this one's been done, but Spider-Man might find this criminal mastermind a challenge, given his ten rings and long experience.

CAPTAIN AMERICA VS. GREEN GOBLIN
Steve Rogers usually goes up against foes who offer a thematic contrast to his patriotism. How about one who wrapped himself in the flag in order to carry out a brutal crackdown? Osborn WAS the Iron Patriot for a while there...

X-MEN VS. SINISTER SIX
The original five X-Men against Doc Octopus and his crew would be a terrific fight.

FANTASTIC FOUR VS. ULTRON
A battle of the smartest man on the planet (arguably) against the most evolved machine ever created. Ultron would be a formidable villain for Reed to fight, even as the rest of the FF is occupied by Ultron's legions of drones.

Any other match-ups you'd like to see?
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My kind of topic!

THE THING VS ABOMINATION
Has this been done? I don't recall it. If the Hulk is stronger than the Thing, and the Abomination once cleaned Hulk's clock, methinks Thing could struggle against Abomination.

HULK VS FRIGHTFUL FOUR
Not sure if this has been done. Be interesting to see the Hulk wipe the floor with them. ;-)

THOR VS DR. OCTOPUS
If Octopus upgraded and had something like the adamantium tentacles, he could probably give Thor some trouble.

SPIDER-MAN VS GREY GARGOYLE
All those puns and webs won't help the web-slinger if the Grey Gargoyle touches him, eh? How can Spider-Man defeat him?

IRON MAN VS JUGGERNAUT
Better come up with a new armour, Mr Stark!

X-MEN VS MODOK
Can't recall if this has been done, either. Be fun visually and conceptually.

DAREDEVIL VS RED SKULL
Be interesting to see Daredevil, away from New York, against Skull in a remote location.

CAPTAIN AMERICA VS MAN-BULL
I feel this'd be an interesting punch-up.

And I'll end with Namor VS Sinister Six. Namor is a tough cookie, but six supervillains may give him a challenge!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nice selection!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'd also like to see Reed vs. the Leader. There's an interesting head-to-oversized-head contest!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thank you, Mr Bitner.

I do not have an exhaustive knowledge of comic battles, but I have used Google images over time. I've not been able to find any record of contests such as Thing VS Abomination or FF VS Leader. I'm guessing they haven't happened.

"Cross-pollination" has been done, of course. It should never be overdone. But it has been done. Despite that, some battles do not seem to have happened.

I am surprised that Kraven the Hunter, relishing a challenge, hasn't ever gone after the Lizard, to be honest.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE THING VS. ATTUMA
Attuma has a track record of kidnapping attractive redheads from the surface world... Ben's not going to be happy about that.

THE AVENGERS VS. HELA
Captain America falls in battle against Loki and an army of Frost Giants. As he fell on an Asgardian battlefield, Hela lays claim to his soul. The Avengers will not allow that to stand.

SPIDER-MAN VS. THE U-FOES
Can't he get along with any version of the Fantastic Four?

KITTY PRYDE VS. NIGHTSHADE
Nightshade has developed an airborne contagion that turns mutants into werewolves. The X-Men have all fallen victim to it along with the Professor. Kitty has to remain phased (breaking down the covalent bonds in the formula molecules as she moves through them) to stay unaffected. What hope does a ghost have against a mansion full of slavering, hyper-violent werewolves?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks, Mr. Parry! :)

Kraven vs the Lizard would be good, as would Kraven vs... the Beast! How was THAT never done?

And it is weird that so many decades later, some fights that we think would be a no-brainer still haven't happened. Guess Marvel has a few ideas left to explore.

Good choices, Brian!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Well well well. Let's see...

Thor vs the Abomination - just for a good ol' fashioned knock down drag out slug fest.

Iron Man vs Machinesmith - It'd be fun to see how Tony manages to keep control of his armor.

Hawkeye vs Bullseye - the battle of the Eyes! "I'm magic!" "Yeah, well let's see you pull THIS out of a hat!" TWANNG!

Daredevil vs Mysterio - who can figure whom out first?

The Defenders (Doc, Hulk, Kyle, Namor, and Val) vs the Masters of Evil (from the Avenger "Siege" storyline. They nearly beat Hercules to death... but how would they handle the Hulk?)

Dr. Strange vs the Impossible Man - just for deadly serious vs. impiously humorous.

Marvel Team-Up: Spider-Man and the original X-Men vs the Squadron Sinister. Minus Professor X... maybe.

The Fantastic Four vs  The Headmen - a really weird group up against Marvel's First Family might produce some interesting dynamics.

She-Hulk vs Deadpool - Look, if we're gonna break the fourth wall...!

The Hulk vs the Brute - was the Brute powerful enough and smart enough combined to take on the Hulk?

Just a few crazy ideas.... enjoy.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

All good ideas from everyone!

You know, I'd rather see something fresh done in one issue (e.g. Kraven VS Lizard or Kraven VS Beast) than another six-issue arc featuring a battle that has already been done!

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Andrew, Kraven vs. the Beast was done, by JB no less, in X-Men: The Hidden Years!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Egad!!
This is clearly a sign that I must go back and re-read those issues again, as my memory is opaque on that subject.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Some nice suggestions, Eric. I like Thor vs Abomination and Spider-Man/original X-Men vs Squadron Supreme. That last one would be a tough fight for our heroes, given Hyperion's power level.
She-Hulk vs Deadpool? Hm.
And Hulk/Brute would be pretty great, especially if they have any downtime with their alter egos.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version