Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Bob Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A Sitcom  starring Bob Newhart.

Story-line: (IMDB) A cartoonist deals with corporate drama that ensues after the revival of a super hero he created.

It has appearances from Jack Kirby, Bob Kane.
Mell Lazarus, Jim Lee,Marc Silvesri, Mel Keefer, Paul Power, Art Thibert and Sergio Aragones

Has anyone ever seen the show? Was it any good?

Edited by Trevor Thompson on 10 October 2018 at 8:22am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I didnít care for it.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It had a few moments, but was not great. It's available on DVD.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah. A few good moments, but Bob Newhart was better served in "The Bob Newhart Show" and "Newhart".

I think the kind of comedy where he reacts to the situation and the people around him bounce better off of him. Bob didn't quite seem to gel as well as the other two previous shows.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The funniest thing I remember about it is the star's comment that his next series would be titled "The".

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I bought the show on DVD. I enjoyed it enough that I will someday watch it again. It pales compared to Newhart's other shows, sure, but it's better than a lot of other shows. Now, if I could find George & Leo on DVD...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I watched it for a little while when it was aired and even though I am a longtime Newhart fan I bailed on it at some point. The comic character was a sort of dark & gritty superhero as I remember it... Mad Dog or something like that? I thought that seemed very un-Newhart like and didn't seem to be used for much in the way of laughs or contrast.As it disappeared completely I took that to mean it never really got any better.

Ted Knight had a similar show as a cartoonist and I might have them blurred together... maybe he did the superhero comic? I seem to remember a hand puppet unicorn or something for him and a big goofy guy named 'Ramone'? I think Knight fared a lot better than Newhart.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Newhart's Bob had done a superhero comic years before, and the character was being revived in the dark & gritty era. He protested, so the publisher had him and the new writer/artist split the book and each do it their way.

Ted Knight's Too Close for Comfort character did a comic book called Cosmic Cow and sometimes was shown drawing with the cow puppet. The goofy guy was "Monroe."

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I know I watched at least one episode, and I recall picking up the tie-in Mad Dog comic book that was published at the time, but I don't remember anything about either, so they clearly didn't leave an impression on me.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wow, there was a tie-in comic series Marvel published. I totally missed this. Covers are signed by a Bob McKay.

Ramone = Monroe, unicorn = cow... I was within striking distance. :^)

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I wouldn't mid getting my hands on those comics. If they're going cheap - which they probably are. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Those Mad Dog comics feature work by Ty Templeton, so I would think they'd be worth the effort of tracking down. 

The show itself featured the first time Newhart played a parent on television. Cynthia Stevenson played his adult daughter on the show and talked about the inherent pressure of being the legendary comedian's first on-screen offspring. 

Unfortunately, the comic book theme was abandoned by the show runners after a time. Newhart's character, Bob McKay, took a job at a greeting card company with a new generic cast of w-w-wacky co-workers, one of whom was actor Jere Burns, then fresh off of Judd Hirsch's "Dear John." Burns has long been the actor I most wanted to see at some point in his career play the Joker. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Ted Knight's Too Close for Comfortcharacter did a comic book called Cosmic Cow and sometimes was shown drawing with the cow puppet. The goofy guy was "Monroe."

That premise sounded familiar to me but I knew I had never seen the show. Seems it was based on a UK series, Keep It In The Family, that I used to watch circa 1980. You learn something every day!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

My model for how cartoonists worked and lived, planted in my brain at a young and innocent age, was Jack Lemmon's character in HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE.

Also, to some extent, Richard Benjamin's character in the short lived HE & SHE TV series.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Does anyone remember an early '70s show My World and Welcome to It? It had an advantage over these others in that the cartoonist was producing James Thurber drawings! (My guess is it was created the other way 'round; the idea was to adapt Thurber pieces and the cartoonist was created as a frame.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version