Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Top Gun: Maverick Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

He was only 24 years old when Top Gun was released to theaters in 1986.

And 32 years later, Tom Cruise doesn't look like he aged one bit while on the set of the film's sequel, Top Gun: Maverick, in San Diego, California.

Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In my eyes....the true star of Top Gun was the F-14 Tomcat...not Tom Cruise.  Since the Big Twin Tailed Cat has been put out to pasture Iím not exactly excited about this.......Unless the wonderful F/A-18 Super Hornet is featured prominently. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've generally enjoyed a lot of Cruise movies and he's had solid successes over the last five or so years including a nice run of Mission Impossible sequels and Edge of Tomorrow but then there's also The Mummy, Rock of Ages, Oblivion and the last Jack Reacher.  He seems a bit old to be playing a fighter pilot (yeah he's an instructor now but you know he'll get back in the plane eventually).  I liked the original but it'll be odd to revisit without McGillis and a lot of the original cast other than Kilmer (who looks frail and thin) and Cruise, plus has there ever been a 32 year gap between movies?  Hope it's good but I'll wait for the reviews.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Featuring the same characters portrayed by (some) of the same actors?

Closest one I can think of is Paul Newman's character in 1961's THE HUSTLER and in 1986's THE COLOR OF MONEY (also starring Cruise in the same year TOP GUN came out).

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 10 October 2018 at 10:13am

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Frankly, I just can't see a story where Maverick is still working 32 years later. He'd most likely be retired with a pension at maybe 20 years (2006), not to mention that if he made the Navy a career he'd be an 0-4 (Commander) at least by retirement. I guess we'll see what kind of story this has. 

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My HS friend just retired last week after 30 years as a Lieutenant Commander. He was just shy of making the Commanders list which would have made him eligible to stay until 35 years.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I know Cruise gets a ton of flack, here and elsewhere, but on balance I love a majority of his work.  Sure, I get the Scientology bullshit. That creeps me out and makes me think less of the person, but separating the personal life from the professional has allowed me to enjoy so many of Cruise's films because at the end of the day I think he's a really compelling actor.  I seriously don't know anyone else that could have carried off his role in EDGE OF TOMORROW. He brought a ton of action baggage with him and turned it on it's head.  That's just one recent example.  So while I abhor his "life path", I nonetheless am more than willing to plunk down some hard earned cash to enjoy a couple hours in the theatre on his latest project.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version