TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Superboy (1988-1992) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Debuting thirty years ago today (I think us Brits got it around February 1989):

What an underrated show this is. 

In my opinion, it's a shame it had to make way for LOIS AND CLARK, which can't hold a candle to it. 

Produced by the Salkinds, who had made three Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN movies and SUPERGIRL, Superboy initially starred John Haymes-Newton as the titular character. Very true to the spirit of the comics, it featured numerous villains such as Lex Luthor and Mxyzptlk. Haymes-Newton was supported by a very capable supporting cast, including Stacy Haiduk as Lana Lang. 

Haymes-Newton would have been in his early twenties when he played Superboy. In Season 2, Gerard Christopher took over the role - and would have been around 29 if IMDb birthdates are to be believed. Christopher was actually older than Christopher Reeve was when Reeve, at the age of 26, played Superman. Gerard Christopher was "Superman" in all but name, it felt. 

It's not entirely impossible to believe that this series was a prequel to the Christopher Reeve movies. Obviously it wasn't. It couldn't have been, not by any stretch of the imagination. Reeve's Superman was never Superboy - and didn't meet Lex Luthor until he came to Metropolis. But in an odd sort of way, this series feels like a quasi-prequel, perhaps because of the similar theme tune, the fact the Salkinds produced it, etc. 

Sadly, the show had to make way for LOIS AND CLARK (various magazine reports over time have stated that). SUPERBOY is the better show. At least it's available on DVD.

I am sure many of you watched it. Any memories or thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

An Asian Lana and I was OUT. Race-swap if you must, but DONíT MESS WITH THE REDHEADS!!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think you're thinking of Smallville, JB.  Lana was definitely a redhead on Superboy.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also, while I watched the show and I enjoyed it, I thought it was really weird that while the Superman in the comics was JB's Superman, they were making a Superboy TV show.  Then they started a Superboy spinoff comic that was out of continuity to go with the show.  It seemed to me to be kind of a pointless cross-marketing snafu.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Best thing they did was re-cast the lead. The first one had the charisma of drying paint, and his acting chops were not that good at all.

My one regret? The station that aired it here never aired the Yellow Peri episode. It got pre-empted for some reason, and to this day I've still never seen that particular episode.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote:
Best thing they did was re-cast the lead. The first one had the charisma of drying paint, and his acting chops were not that good at all.

Those be fighting words in my parts.

*Raises fists*

I did like Haymes-Newton, but Gerard Christopher certainly helped the show soar high (no pun intended).

I really enjoyed Sherman Howard's portrayal of Lex Luthor (Howard also played the sympathetic zombie, Bub, in 1985's DAY OF THE DEAD).

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I never saw this show - it wasn't on over here. But I read the comics which was based on it (with lovely covers by Kevin Maguire).

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The show greatly improved with the casting of Gerard Christopher as Clark Kent / Superboy. Christopher was a confirmed Superman fan, and this really helped the show. Sherman Howard made an entering Lex Luthor.

I think it embraced and executed comic book tropes much better than most TV adapations of comics because the writing staff, after the very mediocre Season 1 were filled up with comic book writers such as Andy Helfer, Mike Carlin, J.M. DeMatteis, Denny O'Neil, John Francis Moore and Cary Bates. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I know he's too old now but if Gerard Christopher was to ever play Superman, on TV or in movies, I'd still be happy. 

(OK, OK, he's 60. Way too old. It'd have to be an adaptation of KINGDOM COME or something along those lines.)

Edited by Adam Schulman on 12 October 2018 at 1:48pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version